open gl game

Started by
12 comments, last by phil67rpg 11 years, 4 months ago
what is a good game to start with opengl?
Advertisement
You're kind of all over the place, aren't you?

Your posting history has a lot of threads about Pong, Breakout, Space Invaders, etc... So why not keep trying to figure out one of those? And might I recommend you find an API/framework and stick to it, instead of jumping back and forth from DX9 to OpenGL to Win32 etc... You remind me a little bit of that squirrel on Over The Hedge, the one that's all hyped up on caffeine. Just buckle down and stick with something until you get it, instead of haring off onto something else because it gets difficult.
I know but according to beernutts I should stop win32 and dx 9 is really difficult. I was hoping that opengl would be a little easier. There are plenty of tutorials on the web. I am working with videotutorials rock and it is pretty good and I am reading the red book.
what should I use to import a image file into opengl, like bmp or png or jpg.
OpenGL gives less abstraction, so I don't know if I'd call it 'easier' than DirectX. DirectX kind of holds your hand in that icky way that M$ likes to do (I know M$ is involved in OGL as well).

You need to learn core principles, not APIs and trivia. You can't do that if you keep jumping around.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
I re-wrote 3 replies already, and suddenly the sense came over me that anything I could possibly type into this box would not help resolve the issue at hand in any way.. Futility hurts! Click that down arrow you see under my photo if you disagree. Otherwise, click the back button in your browser.
As others said, Pong is an excellent first game to make. You can make it with just boxes, and go from there.

I would say DirectX is easier. OpenGL's fixed function pipeline might be easier than DirectX but that is deprecated. Anyway, just choose one and stick to it.

You're kind of all over the place, aren't you?

Your posting history has a lot of threads about Pong, Breakout, Space Invaders, etc... So why not keep trying to figure out one of those? And might I recommend you find an API/framework and stick to it, instead of jumping back and forth from DX9 to OpenGL to Win32 etc... You remind me a little bit of that squirrel on Over The Hedge, the one that's all hyped up on caffeine. Just buckle down and stick with something until you get it, instead of haring off onto something else because it gets difficult.

And furthermore, stop asking these damned absolutely-beyond-the-basics questions.
This is a forum for getting technical advise/help/information, not for helping you to make decisions that are roughly equivalent to deciding between the blue car and the red.
You can’t even get past the process of deciding what game you could code without running to this forum for help, which might be a clue for you as to what the future holds in store for you.

You run to GameDev.net for the absolute most trivial of problems.
“Well, I am having the ever-so-slightest of trouble with a fairly trivial issue. Better run to GameDev.net instead of doing any level of personal research or critical thinking on the subject.”

There is no possible future of any kind for a programmer like this, and if we as a community continue to hold your hand through every trivial issue you have we are NOT actually helping you at all.

It is a legitimate question when some people ask what game to program, because they are really just seeking inspiration, but will move on with something even if no one replies.
You on the other hand are completely blinded by fear. You aren’t seeking inspiration, you are seeking someone who will make the entire decision for you, and if we were not to reply at all you simply would not move on.

You already put us all to the limits of our patience with your poor question-asking abilities in the past, but when you compound that with this kind of question a lot of us have overflowed those limits.
I am this close to just suggesting that you quit as a programmer. I am not the only one thinking it, I am just the only one willing to say it.

But I am not going that far yet.
But you need to clean up your act. This is not a baby-sitting service, and this type of question, while fine for others, is not fine for you.
Stop running to us every time you have the most trivial issue to solve. If you need help with an error or an algorithm or even help with some kind of logic, we are waiting.
In the meantime, holding your hand through this issue is just encouraging bad behavior, and I won’t be a part of it.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I am also thinking about quitting but I am going to try one more time. I am also going to try and solve things on my own. By the way this stuff is far from easy.

I am also thinking about quitting but I am going to try one more time. I am also going to try and solve things on my own. By the way this stuff is far from easy.

A prize easily obtained is a prize not worth having. - some proverb, but it applies here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement