How much are we going to pay for art like that

Started by
3 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I'm the lead programmer for a small independent developer called Liberty Bell Studios. We are working on a new, different genre of game which derives from the traditional 16 bit RPG.
The basic game design is already completed and we are currently working on programming the game for a technical demo to present at international conventions and awards.
We would like to employ an art style similar to that of Xenogears

xenogears-screenshot.jpg

fei_battlestand.gif

citan_battlestand.gif

The game's structure is simple from a technical standpoint and it is going to require much less graphics compared to the classic old-style RPG.
What we need:
- side views of the characters without arms
- separated arms with a total of 7 attack animations (7 different types of weapons)
- a basic tileset of a simple environement to make the world map (original final fantasy IV style)
- battle backgrounds (which will also be used for cutscenes) FFVI style (look up final fantasy VI battle backgrounds)
That's it.

Are pixel artists who make that kind of graphics common? How much are we going to pay for art like that, most likely?
Advertisement
I'm just a hobbyist so I can't give you good price information, but I have a few comments that might (hopefully) help.

For the characters, finding a pixel artist shouldn't be too hard since that style is very common. However, you might want to get someone else for the battle backgrounds since that's significantly harder to do in my experience, and wouldn't be efficiently done in pixel art form anyway (and might be beyond the experience of a lot of pixel artists).

The overhead map might also be better as a large custom image rather than a tileset unless it needs to be modified a lot in the course of the game.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Well, I can tell you how much I would charge for such a project, but my prices may be higher or lower than others. It really depends on who you find.

For the sprite work, I normally would charge $60-$80 an hour and this would probably take 10-15 hours a character. (1hr for a character, 2hrs for animations, 1hr each arm per weapon set, all followed up by a 5hr window for unforeseen issues. Usually deducted come bill time, but I find it's good to give a buffer in the quote)

For tile sets and battle backgrounds, it's really dependent on how detailed you want your environment to be. This one I would probably quote between $80 and $160 an hour for probably another 5-10 hours, but that's depending on how detailed and difficult the client request. (I don't like doing environments that much, so I tend to charge higher there).

Your best bet would be to find an artist you like by looking around the classified section here or browsing around deviantart. Then just send them a message for a quick quote and see what they have to say. Never hurts to ask. biggrin.png

Good luck!

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

I echo Dave's advice that you should probably consider using a different person for the tiles/backgounds vs the sprites. It can be quite a different skillset, and you would probably get the best price that way.

Secondly, I recommend writing up a detailed spec so that artists know what they're quoting for, and everyone knows what the deliverables are. Once you have this document you could send it out to a range of artists and go for the best quote.

Best wishes, Robin
There are plenty of artists who can do all of that. Fee is negotiable in some cases. A hobbyist probably would do it for free, the experience, and resume point. A semi-pro artist would ask 30 to 60 USA dollars per hour approximately and with some exceptions lower or higher. Professionals would ask for about 50 to 100 USA dollars per hour. Keep in mind that the higher the quality of the artist, then the more fee asked by them and less opportunity for negotiating fee, though you won't need them for this game designed for a contest.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement