• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alpha_ProgDes

Tutorials, books on doing GUI design and programming?

8 posts in this topic

1) doing GUI design, 2) building GUIs for apps within an existing environment and 3) building a windowing system from the ground up are very different kinds of efforts.

Hi,

Take a look at the MonoDevelop/Mono community. The GUI support is quite good for what you want.

Clinton

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Game-Engine-Gems-Eric-Lengyel/dp/0763778885/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353481621&sr=1-1&keywords=game+engine+gems+1"]Game Engine Gems, Volume 1 [/url]has a great chapter on GUI programming named "A GUI Framework and Presentation Layer".

What I would like to do is 1) prototype a GUI interface for an app. 2) once I'm able to do (1), I'd like to be able to the same for a tablet (or OS with a touch interface).

Hopefully, this clarifies what I'm asking for.

It does does clarify things - you aren't looking to create a windowing system, but to prototype and build GUIs for desktop and then for mobile or tablet.

What tech you use at the end depends on which platforms you want to target - Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, iOS, WinRT, and so on.

Most people looking to make a desktop app should, instead of re-inventing the wheel, probably use a GUI framework like Qt. That one is cross-platform between Windows, OSX and Linux, and has good support for Symbian on mobile. Android support is on the way. It is "C++ native", but it can be internally scripted with QtScript (~Javascript) and there are bindings to most major languages. There is a graphical interface builder that should help for quick prototyping.

I'm currently looking to learn Qt in conjunction with a UI design course.

So when I thought of creating a GUI system, I was thinking something along the lines of the video below (but not exactly). What do you have to do get your desktop to do THAT!

This seems to be homemade, but it could be Alienware as well. All I know is, I would love to learn how to do something like this (altering GUI/UI on my desktop to awesomeness).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-ohF9tRI8

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes

The Youtube video says exactly what the guy used to get that desktop - Rainmeter for the widget engine, a bunch of ready-made Rainmeter widgets, some software from Stardock (probably the start menu replacement), and Dreamscene (probably for the video background). I don't think he did anything on his own except collecting the widgets and tools.

If I understand correctly, the thing you want to do is start hacking together a Rainmeter competitor with your own widgets? If so, my earlier recommendation of Qt is still good. Qt Quick 2.0 is great for quickly putting together widget-like UIs and animating them, but you also get very fine-grained control when you need it. Edited by Stroppy Katamari