What would you want from a zombie apocalypse simulator.

Started by
24 comments, last by rpiller 11 years, 3 months ago
Hey guys, first of all, I'm going to make this short, as I'm on my phone. A while back I posted about feedback for my idea. Now, since we are working on models, we want to know: what would you like to see in a zombie simulator? In our MMO, we will make it where you have to eat, sleep, drink, and pretty much, survive. We were just wondering what you would like to see in this game.
My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!
Advertisement

In our MMO

First off, get rid of the first M. The zombie setting lives from the doomed, forlorn setting where only a handful of people survived, there's no place for massive.

zombie simulator

What is a simulator for an unknown fictional scenario ? Simulators are not really funny at first and for sure are not really games. The reason people play simulators are, that they try to overcome a certain challenge or to provoke certain emerging situations. So, I would like to see some interesting challenges and a pretty high degree of interaction with the environment.
I'd like to see something that is not zombies. It seems the entire world nowadays is divided between vampires, bash-da-orcz variations of Lord of the Rings, and zombies. Or, gay looking zombie pirates, which is kind of the best of two worlds...

Please do something else. And please don't do vampires.

If you want to do a survival horror game, that's fine, but there must exist other things in the universe than just zombies. Demons, aliens, mad science experiments, dragons, cloned dinosaurs, anything is better. Not like these haven't been done before (there's probably not a single idea that hasn't been done), but at least they've not been beaten to death a million times.
Also, not-zombie-adversaries wouldn't have to be as braindead as a zombie is by definition. They could have cool special powers, which admittedly is hard to justify on a zombie.

Why not something like a cult that wants the world to end and attempt to kill all who don't join their lines? They've built the mother of all bombs, too, and when the last not-cult person is dead, they will use the bomb to destroy the planet. Of course the end of the world is the most sacred moment, which brings you together with The Creator. Therefore all non-believers must be killed before the world can end.
That story would have an interesting twist. You don't want to be killed by them, but you also don't want to hide too well. Since when they think everyone else is dead, they'll press the nuke button, and you lose, too.

Or prisoners. Let's say some incident has caused a large urban area being transformed into a prison. Just like in the "Escape from New York" movie(s). Now they've found a way out and come in hundred thousands to take revenge on everyone outside.
Same thing as a zombie story, except they've got guns and pillow cases filled with soap, they can drive motorcycles, and they aren't zombies.
Though I'm with samoth, the zombie topic is really dead, kind of... but taking a look at the avatar of dtg108, I believe that he will not change his mind :D
what would you like to see in a zombie simulator?
DayZ (hardcore, lawless, survival), but without the cheating epidemic that ruins DayZ, and with more tools to allow for attempted civilized interaction with other survivors.
Also, infection. You get bit and you've got to hide it from your crew, lest they shoot you before your time is up.

The zombie setting lives from the doomed, forlorn setting where only a handful of people survived, there's no place for massive
Massive player counts could be cool if the world was also equally massive.
DayZ avoids crowding by 'sharding' 100,000 players into few thousand world-instances of 50 players each, so that on it's 225km^2 map, you've got a good chance of being alone. This works -- meeting another player is a rare event, and personally, I usually hide or run because of the 'stranger danger'. Can't trust anyone if they know you've got beans!

If instead, the world was 10000 times bigger and no 'sharding' was used, it could be pretty damn epic. It's common in the apocalypse setting for people to be hearing news of places 100's of miles away (via rumour, or radio, etc), which results in a "quest" to reach the source of that news, which takes a very long time, seeing that working motorized transport is now rare. This doesn't work in DayZ, because I can walk anywhere in the world in about an hour or two.
^This^

What I really hated about DayZ apart from the bugs was the zombie behaviour. Those spatic, zig-zagging, hawk-eyed sprinters... really killed it for me.
I'd like to see some more complex behaviour. Different types of zombies, with fast and aware types being the exception.
"I am legend" types would be pretty cool, you know, thoses that only come out in the dark.

Some kind of alliance system with base building, safe-zones, pvp.
Wha tI want from a Zombie apocalypse simulator:

- To be like NeoScavenger in 3d and in real time.
- To NOT be multiplayer at all, specially MMO.
- To be necessary to wear chemical suits, and avoid all physical contact with zombies.

... but taking a look at the avatar of dtg108, I believe that he will not change his mind
Sorry, but it's true :D. Please din't suggest not using zombies.

Anyway, I've decided to use some of the ideas you guys suggested. Here's what they are so far.

DayZ (hardcore, lawless, survival), but without the cheating epidemic that ruins DayZ
Agreed, we will have classic zombies, the slow moving, mindless ones.

with more tools to allow for attempted civilized interaction with other survivors.
Also agreed, we will have a surrender system, as well as a couple of other features allowing you to communicate more directly.

Also, infection. You get bit and you've got to hide it from your crew, lest they shoot you before your time is up.
You sir are a genius! I hadn't even thought about this, but I'm definitely using it.

If instead, the world was 10000 times bigger and no 'sharding' was used, it could be pretty damn epic.
Yes, the terrain is in production, and it is way bigger than Day-Z's terrain. Also, only about 50-100 to a map, because it will be bigger than Day-Z.

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep'em coming :D!
My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!
Crowds, real threatening crowds of humans and zombies and the true spread of panic and confusion. Watching the faces of people shift from being unsure and unsettled, to worry, to panic then to horror and true fear and flight. Dynamic true sim of group fear during a disaster. If this is meant to be a simulator then this is the angle you should explore, navigating the chaos of panicked dangerous people. Capturing the emotional distress of the masses and the true disaster of the chaos these masses create. Zombies aren't scary, people are scary. Zombies (like all monsters) just show a side of people that we can't escape.

I disagree with this being something other then a zombie game however if its suppose to be a simulation, then zombies should be just another part of what is the real survival during this type of apocalyptic outbreak. Since the real threat is surviving each other. Finding ways to survive together (this is why walking dead is so go).

The book World WarZ explores the idea of people losing their mind and believing that they are zombies and how dangerous they are because although they can feel pain they have full mobility these are proper running zombies.
-Good armor and all, and good health-kits, and so that you fall easily and people can take ur stuff, but you will likely be able to heal yourself or be healed. In most games the enemy needs to kill you to get your stuff, i find that annoying.

-Ability to build an awesome base out of planks and random metal pieces, and surviving there for a year with your rainwater gatherer and carrot farm.

-Zombies or whatever you will use should move in groups and less often individually. Groups should move slow. So if you are scouting its easy to avoid them but if a large group is slowly advancing right towards your base you have a problem. Individual zombies shouldnt be a problem for bases because they shouldnt dig and investigate everything on their way.

-Making huge reserves of everything like loaded batteries and food and resources is fun.

-Vehicles like bikes and trailers and whatever because fuel is rare

-Ability to communicate
*Diaries
*Player in game drawable maps
*Smoke from fires

o3o

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement