Can you make a mmorpg like mount and blade?

Started by
9 comments, last by MrJoshL 11 years, 4 months ago
For those that know what mount & blade: warband is if wonder if you could make a mmorpg that is like that.
an open and seamless huge world.

If its possible what are things i would have to keep in mind and maybe some advice?

maybe this would be better posted in game programming i really dont know...
I kinda had some more questions and thoughts that i was gonna add to this thread but it just slipped out of my mind..
Advertisement
Is it possible? Absolutely.

Based on the credits of the first game, and the approximate cost of MMO infrastructure, give me a budget of about $75M and I can make such a game in 24 months.

The words "MMO" instantly mean a cost of $30M to $50M depending on location on the globe.

Is it possible? Absolutely.

Based on the credits of the first game, and the approximate cost of MMO infrastructure, give me a budget of about $75M and I can make such a game in 24 months.

The words "MMO" instantly mean a cost of $30M to $50M depending on location on the globe.

well i dont mean to talk about money or how long time it takes to code and make assets and make it into a AA title.

I just wonder like.. if computers and internets can handle a game like that.. or whatever else..
i mean its real fast paced combat and things like that.
Definitely. Planetside 2 for instance uses a custom engine to handle MMO scale FPS combat. A horse can be thought of as a vehicle in such a game. Definitely possible to create one, but not cheap in the slightest.
Yes, it's technically possible, but...

If its possible what are things i would have to keep in mind and maybe some advice?

I'd advise you to forget about it until you're in a much better position. This is something experienced professional developers with proper funding would tackle, and is almost certainly beyond the capabilities of an indie or hobbyist.

Aim smaller! A fun online multi-player game is well within the capabilities of a skilled indie developer, but an MMO is simply too much work and too expensive to run.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Definitely. Planetside 2 for instance uses a custom engine to handle MMO scale FPS combat. A horse can be thought of as a vehicle in such a game. Definitely possible to create one, but not cheap in the slightest.

cheap as in how much uhmm what it called again... that it requires players that have good computer and internet and that you have a awesome server to host it on?
or what

creating a horse and making it rideable etc isnt that hard at least?

Difficulty is relative.

If you have a system in place that supports locomotion, actors, postures and interactions, then adding a posture to sit on a moving horse is pretty easy.

If your experience has not progressed past making a side-scroller, then it will be extremely difficult.
i would be using hero engine if i was gonna make this.. not sure i just am interested in knowing if its possible in practise.
i dont want to give the thought of making such a game entertainment if its not even possible.

what would be the most challenging thing about making such a game if using hero engine?

[quote name='Sirisian' timestamp='1353569280' post='5003150']

cheap as in how much uhmm what it called again... that it requires players that have good computer and internet and that you have a awesome server to host it on?
or what

[/quote]
I was talking about the difficulties in developing a graphical engine and networking engine that would allow that level of gameplay. Depends on the quality you're going for. I guess you could do it with stickmen and stickhorses and flat shaded terrain. Even then you need to rig the horse mesh and have it animate. Mount and blade from what I've researched before relies a lot on animation.

As for making a horse rideable it would assume you are familiar with programming an animation system with blending of animations and had the content created for the rigged horses and the player and the proper animation files. If you're familiar with that kind of stuff it might take a few weeks to get a very basic system in place with a player mounting a horse and the horse moving. That's a big if as I've seen for beginners even basic animation without blending can take people a while to grasp.

I'd ask on their forums about hero engine specifically probably. I got the impression though that it's more for WoW type games and not twitch games, though it's hard to tell just from the videos what the engine's capability is without using it extensively.

i just am interested in knowing if its possible in practise

Already mentioned it was possible. Other games already feature the complexity that an MMO mount and blade would have.

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1353570772' post='5003158']
[quote name='Sirisian' timestamp='1353569280' post='5003150']

or what

[/quote]
I was talking about the difficulties in developing a graphical engine and networking engine that would allow that level of gameplay. Depends on the quality you're going for. I guess you could do it with stickmen and stickhorses and flat shaded terrain. Even then you need to rig the horse mesh and have it animate. Mount and blade from what I've researched before relies a lot on animation.

As for making a horse rideable it would assume you are familiar with programming an animation system with blending of animations and had the content created for the rigged horses and the player and the proper animation files. If you're familiar with that kind of stuff it might take a few weeks to get a very basic system in place with a player mounting a horse and the horse moving. That's a big if as I've seen for beginners even basic animation without blending can take people a while to grasp.

I'd ask on their forums about hero engine specifically probably. I got the impression though that it's more for WoW type games and not twitch games, though it's hard to tell just from the videos what the engine's capability is without using it extensively.

i just am interested in knowing if its possible in practise

Already mentioned it was possible. Other games already feature the complexity that an MMO mount and blade would have.
[/quote]

thanks for the insight!

can you also mention what other games have this complexity?
Darkfall Online maybe? I guess archery in DFO is somewhat similar.. I didnt play this game that much but I felt DFO had very simple archery mechanics that just fly straight and doesnt lose velocity or height or anything.. but i didnt test out archery very much the little i played that.

their melee was not close to m&b complexity though if you ask me..
they only had 2 attacks.. overhead and a swing attack.
no feinting etc and super huge target boxes. so i think that would be simple to make at like DFO did it..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement