why is it recommended to make game with placeholders and do art last?

Started by
12 comments, last by riuthamus 11 years, 4 months ago

[quote name='MaxieQ' timestamp='1353885889' post='5004037']
Game making is, it seems to me, a team effort. You can't really, except for the simplest games, do it alone. And coders (look at me!) often make terrible artists because we're more concerned with optimisation than artistic vision. We'd dump the colours if we though we could shave off a microsecond on a tight loop.

Interesting vision. Myself I care a lot about art and graphical appearance, but I simply cannot produce any myself. I definitely wouldn't sacrifice an artistic aspect of the game clawing for a couple extra frames per second. I mean, performance is important, but at some point you just need to accept that doing computational work takes time.
[/quote]

Art is a complex profession in and of itself. You need to know a lot to produce something decent.

I just don't think that it is reasonable, or should be expected, that a game maker should possess both the coder and art skill sets.

I think of making games as more like making movies than writing books or playing music. You need both a director and an editor, and it's rare that the roles are rolled into one person because the skillsets are so diverse. I think that's the case in game making too.
---
"Why do you knuckle-draggers insist on doing things the hard way... very well. " - Mr Burke
Advertisement

I guess it might be best for professional studios but for indy then I think its not a bad idea to do art first or at least not delay it more than needed because if you for whatever reason stop working on the game (can happen in indy right) then you can at least sell some of your art that you made in various shops on the web.

For hobbyists the main reason to wait with recruiting anything really is that skilled <insert whatever you want here> simply do not join an unpaid project unless they can see real progress on it. (If you try to recruit for a project that isn't well underway allready you won't attract the talent you need/want, people who do not know you will judge your project by its progress, not its promises).

Start with what you are good at.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Just don't make 80 different kind of crates to clutter your scenes and everything will be fine :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Hm... me and my coders have this argument all the time. Being an artist "primarily" the issue is that when we make something for the game we make it for the state the game is in. If some code changes that effects your design, lighting, shaders, size limitations, and thousands of other possible things must be in place before the real art can sit comfortably within your creation. Im not saying wait till the very end of development but I am saying it would be best for the team to have something solid for the artist to work from.

I envision the code to be the bones and muscle of the game. They give it movement and mechanical function. The art is the skin and hair, the clothes, the superficial things that help you make it all look worth something. Without one the other is doomed to fail but you must have a sturdy mold to work from before you can even begin to create solid art.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement