Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KingofNoobs

Using Constants in Headers

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been running into a problem in my code lately. I have a file called "Constants.h" and one called "Constants.cpp." I define all my constants there. However, when I include Constants.h in another .h file I always get compile errors when, for example, trying to allocate arrays of a GIVEN_CONSTANT size. Is there a reason for this? I never get these errors in .cpp files. It seems like the pre-processor is not expanding my #includes into the header, or maybe there is a rule that constants can't be used in headers in c++? Can someone shed some light on this situation for me?

Thanks.

- Dave Ottley

It would help to see what your code actually looks like and what compiler errors you're actually getting.

I'll give you an example. This is not exact because I have already fixed the errors with a workaround. But, for example

Constants.h:
extern const int MAX_INTS;

Constants.cpp
extern const int MAX_INTS = 1000;

Foo.h
#include "Constants.h"
class Foo {
int bar[MAX_INTS];
void DoSomething();
};

Compiler Error: "Arrays must be initialized with a constant."

*NEW* Foo.h
#include "Constants.h"
const int MAX_INTS = 1000;
class Foo {
int bar[MAX_INTS];
void DoSomething();
};

Compiles fine. Edited by KingofNoobs

First of all, in your Constants.cpp file you need to write "const int MAX_INTS = 1000; "
The extern keyword means "declare without defining". In other words, it is a way to explicitly declare a variable, or to force a declaration without a definition.

The practice itself (putting the initialization into the cpp file) is a matter of personal taste. I personally like it because if i need to change the value for whatever reason, not every single file which includes the header file is compiled again.

But i wouldnt use "extern" anymore....i like static const uint32 MAX_INTS; in a header file more. ;-)

Thank you all for your comments. I have decided to go with the

#ifndef
#define MAX_INTS 1000
#endif

route because it doesn`t waste any memory. I can`t see a downside to it either, and this is how the Microsoft .h files are organized. Until next time...

- Dave Ottley

[quote name='KingofNoobs' timestamp='1353828715' post='5003903']... and this is how the Microsoft .h files are organized.[/quote]
*Cringe*

The windows headers aren't exactly the pinnacle of clean non-namespace-polluting headers...

You really got the wrong conclusion from this. You don't know if using a const variable wastes any memory, so that's a terrible reason to pick one over the other. An optimized build with g++ generates identical code for both.

A const variable behaves like any other variable, while a macro constant has surprises: you can't take its address, it doesn't have a namespace, it doesn't obey the usual scoping rules, you can't access its value from a debugger, it can't be an object of a class...

You should write your code to be as clear as possible, minimizing surprises, not whether you might save 4 bytes (which you won't anyway). And therefore you should prefer using const variables over macros to represent constants.

Alvaro,

Thank you for that additional input. Could you possibly link or attach an example of a (if possible complex) header defining const variables that use the features you list above such as namespaces, being objects in classes, having their addresses taken, etc. I guess I need to see what kind of complexity doing this entails, and if I will ever use those features.

-Dave Ottley

The code in the header file would look exactly as I posted above, except for possibly being in a namespace. But if you aren't using namespaces [yet], there is no point in putting this particular thing in a namespace.

I can't post any code from work, but we do this type of thing all the time there.

Just test to print the value of the constant from a debugger, and you'll immediately see one of the benefits of using a const variable.

Keep in mind that the MS windows headers are designed to be used from C as well as C++. So while there are (reasonably) good reasons for what they do in their code, you should only copy them if you are working under the same kind of constraint.

Also, for integral constants, another option is using an enum. Like a #define it never occupies storage, but like const variables it respects scope.

If I have a const string I access from several places, should I declare it extern and move definition to a .cpp or make it static? Since just making it const string in the header would create multiple objects?

That's not something you really need to worry about. Most linkers will fold identical constant data (including strings) into a single instance. Ex: MSVC's /opt:icf behavior.

Thank you all for your kind responses. So, should I put a namespace i.e. Constants:: around my constants, or would that be a waste of keystrokes?

Unless your constants have some sort of logical reason that they should be either grouped together or sectioned off from other symbols, then there's no point in creating a namespace just for constants. For example, you might group constants that form flags together or constants for private use separate from other symbols. But there's no point to dumping all your constants in a namespace just to have a namespace.

[quote name='KingofNoobs' timestamp='1353948317' post='5004229']
So, should I put a namespace i.e. Constants:: around my constants, or would that be a waste of keystrokes?
[/quote]

A good rule of thumb, I think, is to put each constant in the same namespace as the subsystem/library/... it's associated with e.g.

[code]
// hypothetical example

namespace render
{
const float max_fov_degrees = 179.0F;

class camera
{
// ...
};

} // render
[/code]

Putting all constants in the entire application in a single namespace feels to me like an attempt to cut concerns along an unusual axis.