Final Project Planning - Survey

Started by
8 comments, last by Oldfrith 11 years, 4 months ago
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Hello everyone. I'm working in a group of 3 on our final project for a Gr. 12 programming course. We were just assigned this project last week, and the first thing we have to finish is project planning.

We've decided that we're going to make a small RTS game with Java and LWJGL. Before we could start programming, we have to collect some data on the "market" for this genre as part of the feasibility study, and we would be glad if you, the viewers would take about 2 minutes and fill out our short survey.[/font]

**UPDATE: My friend found out about SurveyMonkey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QKVNJX2 so you can either post your responses OR fill out the monkey**

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Please only answer these questions if you have played a real time strategy game, or are aware of the genre.[/font]

• [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]What is your gender?[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]What age group are the gamers in your household (Select all that apply):[/font]

• [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]10 or under[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]11 to 20[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]21 to 30[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]31 to 40[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Older than 40[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]How many hours per week do you play video games?[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Would you be willing to spend money on a real-time strategy game?[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Rate each of the following settings/eras by how much they appeal to you (1: dislike, 2: not the worst, 3: neutral, 4: good, 5: great):[/font]

• [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Civil War Era[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Future Era[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Roman Empire[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Medieval Era[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Modern Era[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]What aspect(s) of real-time strategy games interest you the most?[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Which aspect(s) of real-time strategy games interest you the least[/font]

• Thanks in advance for your attention
    Advertisement
    1. M
    2. 31-40 and 10 and under.
    3. Play or make? Play, about 6 hours a week.
    4. Yes.
    -Future: 1
    -Civil War: here I'm going to create a new category and call it "no interest". It's not dislike, it's not like, it's not neutral, it's completely no interest in the category.
    -Modern: 3
    -Roman: 4
    - Med: 5

6. 4x
    7. Time grinding
    Thanks BRRGames, I really appreciate you taking your time to fill this out considering I haven't gotten that much feedback yet, even from my friends.

Also, I think I misworded question 5. Instead of arranging the settings in order from the least appealing to the most appealing, each of the settings were meant to be rated from 1 to 5, so could you do that for me? Thanks in advance
    Just pretend the black bullets are numbers... This thing won't format properly and it's driving me crazy
    I've edited my post above to reflect the change in the survey.
    1. Female

2. 31-40

3. 30hrs? it varies, some weeks I spend all my freetime gaming, others I barely game at all.

4. I have, yes. Artist Colony, Gemini Lost, Time Builders: Caveman's Prophecy, Time Builders: Pyramid Rising, Fate of the Pharaoh, and Avalon are all casual strategy games I've bought in the past few years. And Vampires vs. Zombies if you want to consider that an RTS, it's borderline. I'm fond of time management games, adventure games, and farming/breeding sims so I tend to play hybrids of RTSes and those. I'm not interested in RTSes which are just about war or for that matter ones which are about making an economic killing.

5. Well I prefer fantasy settings, so I guess medieval, though other historical periods like cavemen and tribal of different kinds make nice fantasy settings too. Futuristic would be my second choice, provided it is cheerful, either pretty or comical. It's quite difficult for me to rank the options as directed because time period is not what decides whether I like a setting or not; a high level of fantasy or sci-fi worldbuilding and the general pleasantness of the setting and story are what I like best. But if you really need it like this:
    Roman: 1
    Civil War: 1
    Modern: 2
    Future: 4
    Medieval: 4

6. What aspects interest me the most: The fact that each level is a puzzle, within a campaign that presents a nice story that gives the puzzles meaning. Also the choice of which branches of the tech tree to develop in what order as the strategy for solving the puzzle of each level; which units are better for which strategies or proportions of available resources. And the way the options change as a new building or unit becomes available every few levels. I also just generally enjoy building up my stuff, as long as I haven't built the same thing up too many times already.

7. What aspects interest me the least: PvP: not interested. Grim/gritty/gory/dark settings: not interested. Tragic endings: not interested.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

1. M
    2. 11-20, 21-30
    3. 8 h/w
    4. Yes

• [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Civil War Era: 4[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Future Era: 3[/font]

• [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Medieval Era: 1[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Modern Era: 4[/font]
    • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Roman Empire: 1[/font]
    • [font="Trebuchet MS"]6. I like the aspect of you being in control of what happens.[/font]
    • [font="Trebuchet MS"]7.Nothing much.[/font]

My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
    I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!
    What is your gender?: M
    What age group are the gamers in your household (Select all that apply): 21 to 30
    How many hours per week do you play video games?: 40+
    Would you be willing to spend money on a real-time strategy game? Yes, I do often
    Rate each of the following settings/eras by how much they appeal to you (1: dislike, 2: not the worst, 3: neutral, 4: good, 5: great):
    Civil War Era: 1
    Future Era: 3
    Roman Empire: 4
    Medieval Era: 5
    Modern Era: 3
    What aspect(s) of real-time strategy games interest you the most?: I prefer the management side of things, researching technologies, building a little economy etc.
    Which aspect(s) of real-time strategy games interest you the least?: Probably when I'm forced to use a small group of units (like 3 or 4) because I don't feel like I'm an army.
    1. What is your gender? Male
    2. What age group are the gamers in your household (Select all that apply):
    21 to 30
    Older than 40
    3. How many hours per week do you play video games? 15
    4. Would you be willing to spend money on a real-time strategy game? Yes
    5. Rate each of the following settings/eras by how much they appeal to you (1: dislike, 2: not the worst, 3: neutral, 4: good, 5: great):
    Civil War Era - 2
    Future Era - 5
    Roman Empire - 3
    Medieval Era - 3
    Modern Era - 4
    6. What aspect(s) of real-time strategy games interest you the most? Base building, unit customisation, assembling/organising attack and defense groups
    7. Which aspect(s) of real-time strategy games interest you the least? Mega-weapons, lengthy research
    1. Male

2. 11-20

3. 5

4. yes

5. civil war - 3
    future - 5
    Rome - 4
    medieval - 4
    modern - 3

6. I enjoy being able to interact with individual units, as well as groups

7. Different races having different advantages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement