A Philosophical Question...

Started by
13 comments, last by Nacho 22 years, 6 months ago
Well, as far as I can tell (I have only been playing with Direct3D for a few weeks though), D3D uses DirectDraw, but once it is set up you don''t have to really do much with the DirectDraw. So, if you have the basics of it running already, you can do the D3D stuff without learning more DirectDraw. As I said I am fairly new to the 3D thing, so other people might know more about this, but it seems this way to me.
Advertisement
Might want to try a simple animated sprite in 2D, and then press on to 3D. The techniques are quite different, so knowing 2D might not help with 3D as much as one would hope for. Rest assured 3D is more complicated than 2D and so it''s good to ramp-up to it.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Ok, and the big question: OpenGL or Direct3D?
Having used both; I prefer OpenGL. You don''t have to deal with COM and its use seems to me to be more intuitive. Plus, you can use OpenGL on other operating systems. Others have other opinions contrary to mine I''m sure.

RandomTask
I´ve read you can use 3dMax models with Direct3D. Could that also be accomplished with OpenGL? Which book do you recommend me for learning both of them and make a decent 3D game engine from scrath within 6 or 7 months after reading them?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement