Seeking advice on how to break into the industry as a web developer.

Started by
6 comments, last by Chris Shilts 11 years, 4 months ago
Hello,

For some time now, it's been my dream to make websites for video games. I've recently published a Fan-Site for a video game I love, and hope it will help me reach this goal. I'd like to know, how do video game developers decide who to choose to make their game websites?

Thanks for reading, I look forward to reading your replies.

~Chris Shilts, freelance web developer.
Advertisement
If they don't develop the site in-house, then they will outsource it to a reputable and experienced company.

You will need to build a portfolio of smaller sites before you are generally able to accept bids for corporate work.
Thanks for the reply Frob.

Do you suggest I focus my marketing efforts on smaller, indie developers?
Hi there. I think you can find success if you build a portfolio of sites to display on your main website. You can even build different designs with "Your Title Here" and random screenshots to give game designers an idea, and just keep spreading the word in the indie game design community. Maybe even build a few for free to get your name out there, and a few "Website created by ________.com" links to build up your brand a bit.

Yeah you should probably focus on indie developers right now but as your portfolio builds up there's no reasons a bigger game studio wouldn't choose you.
Thank you for the suggestions Pixelsim, much appreciated.

I'm going to have to do some research on how best to contact possible clients. Cold calling just seems rude, even by Email.

I'm going to have to do some research on how best to contact possible clients. Cold calling just seems rude, even by Email.

It's called "networking." You have to meet possible clients at networking events (game conferences, local mixers, etc.) You can read networking tips in FAQ 54.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I've seen quite a few companies that attempt to do "the whole thing". They try to offer the entire arc of software development services they can offer to their clients.
Basically, they do the games, but they're likely to do the website, and if necessary, the movie, etc.
Do you insist on remaining a freelancer, or would you be comfortable boarding this type of industry?
Thanks for the link Tom, your article was informative. Will try to implement your advice on forums like this, if I have something constructive to add to the conversation.

Hi Orymus, I wish to remain a freelancer, and someday start my own company. That said, should a company like that want to hire me (and I would be very flattered if one came to me with such a proposal), I would consider taking them up on their offer, based on factors such as location, pay, personal freedom, and interesting projects. But I'm not actively seeking out such employment at this time, nor do I wish too.

I have also researched such companies. Haven't found any that specialize in video game websites and services though, they seem more broad in scope.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement