What country in is best/cheapest for developers?

Started by
25 comments, last by ManuelMarino 11 years, 4 months ago
Say you wanted to quit your job and just live on the proceeds of game sales such as in the Android store and the iPad store. As a game developer you could potentially live anywhere in Europe so the best place would be somewhere:

1) Where the price of living is very low.
2) Where you have access to high speed broadband
3) Where cost of replacing laptops etc is low.
4) Where it has good dental care.

Where do you think the best place to live is? BTW Since I live in the UK I am entitled to live anywhere in Europe.
Possibly other places I could live with a 6 months working visa.

What do you think?

[size="4"]Awesome Animator

[size="4"] Cool animation software!
Advertisement
Why?

If I had the option to move, I'd stay right where I am. I don't want to give up friends and conveniences and customs and my tangible assets I couldn't bring with me.

If I had to move somewhere, it would not be somewhere cheap. The most desirable locations have a tendency to become expensive.
Just be like Jason Rohrer. Dude lives on $14,000 a year. Here's a super interesting article about him.

Just be like Jason Rohrer. Dude lives on $14,000 a year. Here's a super interesting article about him.

This guy reminds me of David Thoreau's "Walden". I don't know if I could enjoy that kind of lifestyle though. It seems a bit miserable.

[quote name='et1337' timestamp='1353820724' post='5003886']

This guy reminds me of David Thoreau's "Walden". I don't know if I could enjoy that kind of lifestyle though. It seems a bit miserable.
[/quote]

Quinoa bread and lentil soup for meals? No meat, meaning no bacon? Only 4 pairs of boxers, and hair washed twice a month? Yeah... I'd go crazy, I think.
It's easy to live on less than $12,000 USD ( 9250 $ Euro )
a year - college students do it all the time ... of course the price of everything in Europe is extremely expensive

If you want cheap and technologically advanced - move to India

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you want cheap and technologically advanced - move to India

don't know who you talk to about india, but a guy on another forum i frequent is from india, and he's constantly bitching about how everything is 2-4x the cost of what it'd be in the us/uk.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
The guys I have talked to that live over in India, have given me a very good idea on the cost of living.
The cost of living, from the prices they have quoted me is about 1/2 that of the US, and 1/4 that of the UK.

India is ranked #90 in the world for most expensive place to live. UK = #13 ... US = #32
India is #86 in rent .... UK = #15 .... US = #17
India is #87 in food prices ..... UK = #16 ..... US = #25
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

The thing about moving to India is that suddenly your paycheck will be smaller to match the local cost of living and customs.

There are many surprising cultural differences. How do you feel about the common 12-hour work day? Several hours are spent socializing instead of working, but it is common to stay at the office for many more hours than you may be used to. When it comes to business there is also a tendency to have less planning and more doing, with the expected results. When talking with co-workers from India those were the two biggest observations.

Getting back to the OP, --- why do you want to move?
Contrary to popular belief there are very cheap places here in Japan, even if you are in a big city such as Tokyo.
Other big cities such as Osaka are literally half the price of Tokyo.

So in Osaka you could get 25 square meters for about $400 per month, and that is inside the city. If you are willing to live a bit of a way from the station you could get the same for $220 or so.

My room in Thailand was the same size and only $80 or so per month (and it was very clean and modern), but since you want fast Internet I can’t recommend Thailand.
I would stick with the cleanest and most modernized country in the world (Japan), which also provides the fastest Internet (the country average is only #2 in the world, but that is only because of old people (Japan has the longest life expectancy of any country), which is far less common in South Korea—the actual average when considering only the people who are relevant makes Japan #1 by a very huge margin—here is my home connection (just $30 per month): 686917675.png (South Korea may be #1 on average, but this connection speed is hard to find there, yet very easy to find in Japan)).

Also your paycheck won’t be like in Thailand or India (as mentioned by frob). For game programming I think you won’t find anything below $65,000 per year, and if you do then it’s your own fault. It’s easy to find jobs closer to the $90,000 mark.

And contrary to popular belief you won’t be working 12-hour days etc., at least if you are programming games. Yes, that is common in Japan, but not so much inside the game industry. You hear about those people a lot but they are working in other types of programming such as finance or general-use software.
I have never had to work overtime here except on 2 days when the deadline was close and a new bug was just found. Otherwise, for example now, I work 7 hours and have 1 hour for lunch, and then go home. It’s normal.

If you still aren’t convinced, I have 2 words that nobody can resist: ?????.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement