New to game development and looking for reccomendations and advice (Cross platform suggestions)

Started by
27 comments, last by MannyG 11 years, 4 months ago
There's Gideros and GameClosure too. Also consider Apportable which
will bring an iOS game to Android, not sure about the rates though.

Good luck, MannyG!
Advertisement

There's Gideros and GameClosure too. Also consider Apportable which
will bring an iOS game to Android, not sure about the rates though.

Good luck, MannyG!

Thanks, I really want to stay away from Objective-C haha, my partner and I are trying to streamline our careers into mobile/web dev in the shortest time, we don't want to develop only in Objective-C for this reason and just port over. This could take longer then I thought just choosing which engine to use. I appreciate the recommendation :)
Assuming since you posted in the mobile development thread, you're interested in cross platform mobile development.
I can recommend using Cocos2d-x (http://www.cocos2d-x.org/). Majority of development can be completed in C++, and there are a lot of tutorials online
to help you get started.
Marmelade is pretty popular: http://www.madewithmarmalade.com/

As for Unity, you can use Unity Free + Android Basic + iOS basic for a cost of $800. You dont need to buy Unity pro (unless you require those features, of course).

Assuming since you posted in the mobile development thread, you're interested in cross platform mobile development.
I can recommend using Cocos2d-x (http://www.cocos2d-x.org/). Majority of development can be completed in C++, and there are a lot of tutorials online
to help you get started.

One thing here that concerns me is that C++ is not a commonly used mobile/web dev language right? Well I guess I should have mentioned we want to get into enterprise mobile development not game development. We want to make a game simply because we believe we have a decent idea, it would look good on a resume showing we understand how the market's work and how the SDLC comes to play as we will be doing all the work. We would really like to learn HTML5 but yeah, beggars can't be choosers right? My partner is leaning towards the Corona Engine, I am not so sure the specifications of what our app and test apps need to do can be handled by Corona though. Sorry for the minor rant :P

Marmelade is pretty popular: http://www.madewithmarmalade.com/

As for Unity, you can use Unity Free + Android Basic + iOS basic for a cost of $800. You dont need to buy Unity pro (unless you require those features, of course).

Is it $800 a year, or a one time purchase so I can put the apps on the android/iphone markets respectively without having to worry about paying to keep them up there for fear unity will file some crazy complaint to tear them down? No question is a stupid question...right? guys?....guys...
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Game Maker yet...

It is actually pretty good, and can do much more than people would think. Since you are only looking at 2d, Game Maker Studio fits perfectly, and it has ports for HTML5, iOS, Android, Windows 8(Javascript), Mac, and Windows. There are lots of apps for Android and iOS already, and even a couple of games published on Steam.

the prices are also much better than Unity, or pretty much anything else(except free stuff). There are free versions with limited features you can use, though I wouldn't want to use them for final versions. But they have enough features in order to let you get a good idea how it works. The master collection is $499, but it includes all current ports, and all upcoming ports, at least until the next version comes out, which will likely be more than a year from now. The Standard version is $49, and the professional version is $99. The best deal is the Master collection, but you can buy ports individually too, if you buy the professional version. The HTML5 port is $99, and the others(iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8) are $199. So The professional plus Android would be $298. You can see how it is much better to just buy the Master version.

The interface is designed to make things easy. Resources are loaded beforehand similar to Unity3d. There is a drag&drop method to making game code, but it is somewhat limited. There is also a scripting language(gml) which is similar to a weird combination of C/C++, Delphi, and Javascript. But if you have worked in any C-style language gml will be simple to pick up.

As far as the Unity3d licensing, the fees are all one off payments, Unlike Corona and GameSalad which require you to pay yearly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Game Maker yet...

It is actually pretty good, and can do much more than people would think. Since you are only looking at 2d, Game Maker Studio fits perfectly, and it has ports for HTML5, iOS, Android, Windows 8(Javascript), Mac, and Windows. There are lots of apps for Android and iOS already, and even a couple of games published on Steam.

the prices are also much better than Unity, or pretty much anything else(except free stuff). There are free versions with limited features you can use, though I wouldn't want to use them for final versions. But they have enough features in order to let you get a good idea how it works. The master collection is $499, but it includes all current ports, and all upcoming ports, at least until the next version comes out, which will likely be more than a year from now. The Standard version is $49, and the professional version is $99. The best deal is the Master collection, but you can buy ports individually too, if you buy the professional version. The HTML5 port is $99, and the others(iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8) are $199. So The professional plus Android would be $298. You can see how it is much better to just buy the Master version.

The interface is designed to make things easy. Resources are loaded beforehand similar to Unity3d. There is a drag&drop method to making game code, but it is somewhat limited. There is also a scripting language(gml) which is similar to a weird combination of C/C++, Delphi, and Javascript. But if you have worked in any C-style language gml will be simple to pick up.

As far as the Unity3d licensing, the fees are all one off payments, Unlike Corona and GameSalad which require you to pay yearly.

I will definitely take a look into this and update this thread accordingly :)

Thank you for your response :D

Is it $800 a year, or a one time purchase so I can put the apps on the android/iphone markets respectively without having to worry about paying to keep them up there for fear unity will file some crazy complaint to tear them down? No question is a stupid question...right? guys?....guys...

Not 100% sure but iOS and android may be yearly as they are essentially monotouch and monodroid licenses which themselves are yearly.
All the Unity licenses are a one time payment. No yearly.

Well I guess I should have mentioned we want to get into enterprise mobile development not game development.[/quote]

You shouldn't really use any of these game engines for anything other then creating games.
Frameworks suitable for the enterprise apps aren't really suitable for games and vice versa. You *can* do it, but really you want to use the right tools for the job.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement