Stuck on newbie project

Started by
7 comments, last by kuramayoko10 11 years, 4 months ago
Hi!

I've been working on a little project for a while now, It´s my first SDL project. I started the project to force me to look things up and keep me learning while having fun.
Now I've been stuck many times during this project on things I never thought I would manage to solve, yet later I did.

However, this time I feel stuck and I don´t know how to proceed, this time it´s more about problem solving.
So I can´t just start looking around for new feats to use in c++ and get by in that way, I just don´t know how the problem should
be solved and with what.

The project is from the beginning based on the tutorial series on sdltutorials. I then built upon it, adding asset manager, different sized frames in animations, tile layers, windows with buttons etc.

Being able to do these things made me really happy, even tho I have no clue if they are implemented in a good or bad fashion.

The problems I have now are things like:
How would I add slopes as tiles (this looks to be very hard, atleast for me) and how much would I have to change the way the tiles work overall.
How much I would have to change my now lacking physics,
And much more stuff.

So my question is, now that I am stuck and starting to be bored of being stuck.
Should I focus on something else or keep with the project trying to solve things I just can´t fathom?
And if you wan´t to comment about anything in the video, feel free to. If you see something that looks awful.

Thanks!

Here´s a short video of my project:
[media]
[/media]
Advertisement
Pretty nice looking Megaman clone you have there.

How would I add slopes as tiles

This article has an example of how one could implemet slopes. And he exemplifies with Megaman as well.

How much I would have to change my now lacking physics

Physics in games is something that needs polish, always.
Since you are using C or C++, give a look at Box2D.

Should I focus on something else or keep with the project trying to solve things I just can´t fathom?

You should work on your project until it is fun and you are still learning things. There is no use on battling against a project you don't like.
While you do it as a hobby, I believe you have to enjoy what you are doing :)
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
Great work so far. I would encourage you to continue with this project. I am kind of envious that you got this far. I have been a professional game programmer for about 7 years, and done a lot of hobby projects. One thing I regret though is that I never finished any of them.

Add enemies, and change the sprites and you can release your game.
You need collision detector cauze bullets gets thought terrain. Actually there is a lot of possible improvements. Does your character can shot only horizontal ax? Are there any other types of weapons? What about some enemies? What about twitter or smth else in it? Does it have achievements?

---

Looks like my English still pretty bad if I couldn't talk what I want.
C x 2 C x o C x C f nice C x C s C x C c
Thanks for your replies!

Kuramayoko10:
I think I will skip slopes until I can grasp how to implement the real ones, had looked at that article earlier too.
I don´t feel like using something like Box2D, I much rather wanna do as much as possible myself.
I won´t quit the project fully, I will however start trying things I might be able to complete outside the project and then import into the project after.

solipcoder:
Thank you. I will probably as I said to Kuramayoko10 continue in some form, but my goal was never to release anything or even completing an entire game.
I just started it to pull me in different directions, forcing me to learn stuff.

AlexB.hpp:
I take it you´re joking? ...

AlexB.hpp:
I take it you´re joking? ...

Don't be mad about that... I didn't mean any stupid stuff. I wanted to said that you have a great possibility to make a nice game and take a lot of experience.

Some time I write/say totally strange things, but it's ok for me. That's how I start deep thinking.
C x 2 C x o C x C f nice C x C s C x C c

I don´t feel like using something like Box2D, I much rather wanna do as much as possible myself.

Be careful with that. It might seem exciting working on everything yourself; however, you can very easily be overwhelmed trying to deal with so much at once. And this can be a major factor in losing the desire to work on the project. These 3rd party tools can be a real lifesaver, as they can take the place of a section of code that you may not want to work on, or may not be ready to work on. Now, this isn't to say that you should go and use external libraries for absolutely everything; but, you can put a library in-place of the systems you don't have the time, experience or desire to work on right now.

[quote name='Nausea' timestamp='1353942090' post='5004205']

Be careful with that. It might seem exciting working on everything yourself; however, you can very easily be overwhelmed trying to deal with so much at once. And this can be a major factor in losing the desire to work on the project. These 3rd party tools can be a real lifesaver, as they can take the place of a section of code that you may not want to work on, or may not be ready to work on. Now, this isn't to say that you should go and use external libraries for absolutely everything; but, you can put a library in-place of the systems you don't have the time, experience or desire to work on right now.
[/quote]

Ye I get what you´re saying but I feel that since I'm not aiming for a complete game, it´s not crucial to the project at this moment to patch it up with libs. I'm not looking to add anything that I can´t complete. Just get´s a bit boring when I get stuck on something I really wanna be able to do. Ofc I can jump to some other part of the project and start coding other things but it´s not as motivating.

I won´t quit the project fully, I will however start trying things I might be able to complete outside the project and then import into the project after.

That is OK as well (having in mind what kevinjfields said). Still Box2D is open-source and you might get some inspiration there smile.png
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement