Sign in to follow this  

Using environment variables in include directive

This topic is 1877 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I'm trying to get the pre-Windows 8 XAudio2 headers from the DirectX SDK to work under VS2012.
At one point the documentation tells me to add the following line of code...

#include <%DXSDK_DIR%Include\xaudio2.h>

..., which doesn't work: cannot open include file.

I assume this is because it's not possible to literally specify environment variables this way?

[quote name='eppo' timestamp='1353957508' post='5004273']At one point the documentation tells me to add the following line of code...
[code]#include <%DXSDK_DIR%Include\xaudio2.h>[/code][/quote]
Do you have a link to the documentation? I'd like to see some context for this code.

[quote]I assume this is because it's not possible to literally specify environment variables this way? [/quote]
No, it is not possible. What I'm assuming is implied by the code is:
1. Add [tt]$(DXSDK_DIR)\Include[/tt] to the include path of your [tt]Microsoft.win32.cpp.user[/tt] properties sheet.
2. Add [tt]$(DXSDK_DIR)\Lib\x86[/tt] to the library path of your [tt]Microsoft.win32.cpp.user[/tt] properties sheet.
3. Include [tt]<xaudio2.h>[/tt]

Here is the specific page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee663275.aspx

I already have this working, but the thing is: you have to add the complete path to the header files (#include <C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)/Include/xaudio2.h>), otherwise they will conflict with the newer headers from the Windows 8 SDK.

Sign in to follow this