Need to know some definitions

Started by
8 comments, last by SiCrane 11 years, 4 months ago
Okay as I read some post, theres some term I dont quite understand what they mean. I hope some of you can define and explain them to me:

1)Brute force

2)MFC

3)Wrapper

4)dll
Advertisement
How is google insufficient for this? What in particular don't you get?
Alright, let's see what I can come up with:

1. Brute force is a term that is used to describe an algorithm that explores all possible solutions to a problem, rather than being limited to a subset guaranteed to contain the correct solution
  2. MFC probably stands for the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Foundation_Class_Library.
  3. A wrapper is a type of library that allows easier use of another library by "covering up" some of the less used abilities. An example of a wrapper (in my opinion at least) is the SDL, which is a wrapper for various windowing libraries (It is much simpler than using WinAPI at any rate)
  4. DLL is short for "dynamically linked library", which is used to describe a library that is linked to the program at run-time rather than at compile-time.

Does this help?
I like to refer to MFC as Microsoft Fried Chicken. :)

But really, you should give Google a try: It's really useful.
Google is a programmers best friend

I like to refer to MFC as Microsoft Fried Chicken. smile.png

Wow, that's a lot more polite than what I used the F in MFC for... ohmy.png
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
but why do many so many people hate MFC?
Because of all the microsoft windowing libraries (windows API, winforms, wpf) it's far and away the worst.
Google is too mainstream, try Bing

Also I use WPF, WinForms and MFC, MFC gets far too much criticism, not sure why doesnt seem all that bad
To give some idea about the scope of the problem with MFC, not only is it a C++ library that was designed before C++ was standardized, it was designed before many of what now would be considered essential parts of the language were added. As such it does wonky things like have CRuntimeClass instead of using C++'s RTTI, has a custom exception system, and so on. And you can't just ignore the custom MFC versions of these things and use the native C++ versions, because of they are at the heart of the framework. Every time you use MFC it's like programming back in 1995 all over again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement