Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sovereign

Can't Plot Pixels using the PR_SURFACE Functions

Sovereign    122
Ok what I am trying to do is plot pixels directly to the Video memory using the PR_SURFACE Functions. For some reason I can't get any pixel(s) to display on my screen. Heres what I have set up so far: I declare my varibles as this: PR_SURFACE mysurface; PR_DWORD pitch = 0; PR_UCHAR *surface_bits; //I allocate my surface here mysurface = PR_AllocateSurface (640, 480, D3DFMT_R8G8B8); /* main program loop */ while (!kbdon[KEY_ESC]) { UpdateMessages (); PR_OpenScreen (PR_BACKBUFFER); PR_NewFrame (); /* Begin a new frame */ PRGFX_SetColor (BLACK); PRGFX_ClearScreen (); /* Clear the last frame */ PR_TransformLights (&userlights); move_count = PR_GetTicks (); PR_RotateEntity (entity, //0.1f, 1.2f, 0.3f); 0.1f * move_count, 1.2f * move_count, 0.3f * move_count); PR_TransformEntity (entity); //PR_RenderEntity (entity); //Start drawing points //Returns Address of start of Video Memory after surface locked surface_bits = (PR_UCHAR *) PR_LockSurface (mysurface, &pitch); if (surface_bits == NULL) return; //Start drawing points for(i = 0; i < 1000; i++) { x = rand() % 640; y = rand() % 480; surface_bits[x + y*pitch] = PRGFX_MakeColor(255,255,255); } PR_UnlockSurface (mysurface); PR_RenderFrame (); /* Draw the scene */ PR_Flip (1); /* Show the background page */ } I wonder what I am doing wrong. Chris or anyone no what I am doing wrong. Thanks Doug Edited by - sovereign on October 15, 2001 12:18:47 AM

ChrisE    184
Where do you draw the surface? You write some stuff to it but don''t do anything with it afterwards.

Also if surface_bits is a PR_UCHAR *, you shouldn''t be writing dwords into the pointer. You''ll have to write the R,G,B values individually since the pixel format is 24 bit.

Chris

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster

"Where do you draw the surface?"
I''m using this to write to the surface since this is supposed be the address for the video after the Surface is locked
surface_bits[x + y*pitch] = PRGFX_MakeColor(255,255,255) or what ever value I need to write based on some format;

"You write some stuff to it but don''t do anything with it afterwards."

So what else do I need to do to make this work? Am I missing a step?

All I want to do is Plot some pixels much like the
PRGFX_Line , but is inefficient because of excessive locking and unlocking of the surface just to draw one pixel.

So I figure it is alot faster to lock the surface then plot a bunch of pixels and unlock the surface after I am done. I figure this would be a lot quicker than the PRGFX functions.

You did suggest that I look into using the DrawPrimitive function using Point list but I am not to knowlegable with Direct 3D stuff so bear with me. I did read the DX8 Doc trying to understand this stuff but I am sort of winging it.

I did a search on my hardrive for examples of you using the PR_Surface Functions and found some files that you use these functions in. My program was sort of based on what I saw in seting up the varibles and functions. I am not sure what the correct D3DFORMAT just to plot piexls using the red, green, blue values in the range of 0 to 255.

Is there any way you can provide a working example such as ploting pixels to video memory?

Doug

ChrisE    184
If you want to show the pixels you plotted:

1) Copy the surface to the back buffer (will overwrite what is there already)
OR
2) Use the surface of a texture and draw that as an overlay
OR
3) Lock the back buffer after drawing

It sound like you want #3. Instead of making a new surface, lock the back buffer and write pixels. You''ll need to write pixels in the appropriate format (16/32 bit, byte order, etc).

I''ll see if I can get an example made up, but I don''t know when because I''m pretty busy for the release of PR4 this week.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)