• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zee_ola05

OpenGL How to make OpenGL 4 run on software

This topic is 2174 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I would like to learn OpenGL 4 but I am pretty sure that my laptop does not support it. When I was learning DirectX 11 (which my laptop also does not support) before, there was a way to run it using software emulation. I am wondering if same also goes to OpenGL 4. If there is, how? and can you also point me to some great tutorials? Thanks!

Edit: I just checked. My laptop supports OpenGL 3.3. Do you guys think that it's better to just learn OpenGL 3.3, instead OpenGL 4? Edited by zee_ola05

Advertisement

Edit: I just checked. My laptop supports OpenGL 3.3. Do you guys think that it's better to just learn OpenGL 3.3, instead OpenGL 4?

Depending on what you want to do, the differences aren't all the big. The fundamentals of sending vertex data to a shader haven't changed much since OpenGL 2.1, but OpenGL 3.3 is missing nice stuff like tessellation and compute shaders.

You can check out the history of opengl to find out the differences between the different versions. If don't understand what a feature means, odds are you won't miss it.smile.png

I don't I will be using tessellation and compute shaders at this point. I only want to know the basics like lighting, importing models, etc. So I guess I will stick to OpenGL 3.3 for now. Do you know any good tutorials? Something that starts with "Creating a Window" and "OpenGL initialization"? I am using Visual Studio 2010.

Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!