• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jdub

DirectX 11 Noobie Performance Question

This topic is 2207 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if there's a significant performance advantage to batching together the rendering of scene objects which use the same shader?

Advertisement
There is potentially a performance advantage. In general you can say that fewer draw calls should be better, but that all depends on what else is going on in your rendered scene. There isn't a straight answer for these type of questions really, you have to profile your application and see what works best in a given circumstance.

Generally speaking, the fewer state changes, the better. Of course, if you use heavy logic to implement the batching itself, at some point it ceases to be worthwhile.

If you have a strong GPU but weak CPU (rough measures, I know), you likely benefit more from batching than with a system with strong CPU but relatively weak GPU. Each state change will consume CPU time, even though the setup time on the GPU hardware would be very fast. Edited by Nik02

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!