RigidBody Rotation

Started by
11 comments, last by Medo Mex 11 years, 4 months ago
Lets say that I have a tank and want this tank to rotate and look at another area, how do I complete the following code to make the tank rotate 'slightly' every time this method is called?

void RotateLeft(float timeElapsed)
{
btCollisionObject* obj = dynamicsWorld->getCollisionObjectArray()[0];
btRigidBody* body = btRigidBody::upcast(obj);
if (body && body->getMotionState())
{
btTransform worldTrans;
worldTrans = body->getCenterOfMassTransform();

// ***** Need the rest of the code to rotate the tank *****
}
}
Advertisement
I'm using bullet physics for my game and this is how I rotate character in the game.

btMatrix3x3 orn = m_pRigidBody->getWorldTransform().getBasis(); //get basis of world transformation
orn *= btMatrix3x3(btQuaternion(axis, radians)); //Multiply it by rotation matrix
m_pRigidBody->getWorldTransform().setBasis(orn); //set new rotation for the object

m_pRigidBody is an object of btRigidBody*. To represent rotation all you need is 3x3 matrix (4th row and column are to enable translation). So you get basis of world transform and then multiply it by rotation matrix( created with the help of quaternion, where the axis is axis of rotation and radians is angle in radians). After that all you have to do is to update basis of your world transform.
For more information about quaternions I would recommend visiting this link.

I hope it helps;)
Just to add, if your trouble is with making it rotate at a fixed (slow?) rate based on elapsed time, you'll just multiply your desired rad/sec turning rate by the elapsed time in sec.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

If I want to get Pitch, Yaw, Roll and manipulate it then give it back to the physics engine, how can I do that?
For example, if you use xna math library, you can create XMMATRIX using XMMatrixRotationRollPitchYaw method.

Get current physics object transform:

XMMATRIX transform = btTransform_to_XMMATRIX(m_pRigidBody->getWorldTransform() ); //get basis of world transformation

Create rotation you need:

XMMATRIX rotation = XMMatrixRotationRollPitchYaw(angle, angle, angle);

//Get final transform

btTransform finalTransform = XMMATRIX_to_btTansform(transform * rotation);

Finally, apply your transform

m_pRigidBody->setWorldTransform(finalTransform);

Here, take a look at conversion methods:

static btTransform XMMATRIX_to_btTransform( XMMATRIX const & mat )
{
// convert from XMMATRIX to btTransform (Bullet Physics)
btMatrix3x3 bulletRotation;
btVector3 bulletPosition;

// copy rotation matrix
for ( int row=0; row<3; ++row )
for ( int column=0; column<3; ++column )
bulletRotation[row][column] = mat.m[column][row];

// copy position
bulletPosition[column] = mat.m[3][column];

return btTransform( bulletRotation, bulletPosition );
}
static XMMATRIX btTransform_to_XMMATRIX( XMMATRIX const & trans )
{
XMMATRIX returnValue;
// convert from btTransform (BulletPhysics) to XMMATRIX
btMatrix3x3 const & bulletRotation = trans.getBasis();
btVector3 const & bulletPosition = trans.getOrigin();

// copy rotation matrix
for ( int row=0; row<3; ++row )
returnValue.m[row][column] = bulletRotation[column][row];

// copy position
returnValue.m[3][column] = bulletPosition[column];

return returnValue;
}

Take a note, that XMMATRIX is in row-major format and btTransform is column-major, that's why you swap column/row in these methods!
@DgekGD: I'm not using XNA, I'm using DirectX 9 and Bullet Physics.

Here is what I'm looking for:

float pitch, yaw, roll;
// Code to get pitch, yaw, roll from rigidbody here...
yaw+=0.1;
// Code to apply the new pitch, yaw, roll to the rigidbody here...
I didn't mean xna framework, just math defined in xnamath. It was just an example, you can use D3DXMATRIX exactly the same way.

Anyway, to apply new pitch, yaw and roll to your body you have to create transformation matrix!
Using:
XMMatrixRotationRollPitchYaw(Pitch, Yaw, Roll); or
D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll(pResultMatrix, Yaw, Pitch, Roll) or maybe your own math library class.

Then you'll have to convert this class to btTransform(matrix class which Bullet Physics uses for computation);

That's how you would increment yaw:

yaw+= 0.1;
XMMATRIX rotation = XMMatrixRotationRollPitchYaw(pitch, yaw, roll);

@DgekGD: I'm not using XNA, I'm using DirectX 9 and Bullet Physics.

xnamath is a library for directx, actually, not referring to the XNA framework for .NET.

Anyway, you can use D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll:
http://msdn.microsof...1(v=vs.85).aspx

Edit: DAH, too slow.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

I know all of that, the problem I'm having is that I need to get pitch, yaw, roll from bullet physics and set the updated value to bullet physics.

So here is EXACTLY what I mean:
// Add code to get pitch, yaw, roll from btRigidBody
pitch+=0.1f;
yaw+=0.2f;
roll+=0.1f;
// Add code to apply the new pitch, yaw, roll to btRigidBody

If someone could update the two commented lines with the appropriate code, it will be exactly what I want.
What's the problem with creating rotation matrix D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll(pResult, 0.2, 0.1, 0.1);

Multiplying current transformation matrix with this one will exactly do what you want: Apply
pitch+=0.1f;
yaw+=0.2f;
roll+=0.1f;
to btRigidBody.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement