Can a native C# compiler by microsoft change the standards?

Started by
3 comments, last by Shannon Barber 11 years, 4 months ago
C# is used in Indie game development, and for tooling at AAA game studios.

By this Job posting http://www.compilerjobs.com/db/jobs_view.php?editid1=648 it is rumoured, that microsoft is planning a same native compiler backend for both C++ and C#.....

IF this news comes out to be true, then can C# replace C++ as the AAA game industry standard???

Or, is this job post talking about something else?
Advertisement
I'm guessing... C# to C++ "compiler" and then to machine code.

Or maybe, everything to CLI and then to machine code.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I think this might be reading too much into that job posting. I think it's more about optimizing both C++ and C# to work on new processors rather than optimizing C++ and C# to compile to similar formats.
I see nothing in that job posting that suggests anyone is trying to make C++ and C# use the same compiler backend. Frankly, the post explicitly says that they're interested in adding technology like autovectorization to the JIT compiler in the .Net framework.

This should be pretty obvious if you read through the full posting, including the requirements and description of the role.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Essentially, C# already compiles to native code.
You can even force it to happen ahead of time by calling 'ngen'.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement