• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Jingle

OpenGL 2D Book

This topic is 2154 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
OpenGL is a 3D graphics library. The only way to make OpenGL "2D" is to set up ortographic projection, but there is no functionality to deal with 2D rendering techniques like sprites or tiles. You would need to code all of that yourself, which is a super overkill.

Use SDL (OpenGL windowing library that has, among other extending functionality, support for 2D rendering) or DirectDraw (Windows only). Edited by ifthen

SFML uses OpenGL under the hood. SFML is much better suited for 2D graphics.

However, if you are insistent upon using OpenGL, I still recommend downloading SFML since it is open source (and has very simple, straight-forward, clean code), and see how they do it.

OpenGL is a 3D graphics library

I understand this. I'm looking for a book that is geared towards using it to do 2D graphics.

Use SDL/SFML[/quote]
I've actually been making simple 2D games and stuff with straight OpenGL. I just want a book that gives me more insight into what I've been doing.

2D is just a special case of 3D. What's the problem? If you know how to display transformed, flat, textured quads with blending and alpha-testing, you know everything about 2D in OpenGL. Edited by J. Evola's Apprentice

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!