What's the most used 3D modeling software in First-Person Shooter games?

Started by
14 comments, last by Asesh 11 years, 4 months ago
In large and popular modern First-Person shooter games, what is the most used 3D modeling software?

Also, I would like to know what is the modeling software used in recent versions of games like Call of Duty and Battlefield?
Advertisement
They're interchangable, really. 3DSMax and Maya get top billing because they're long-time industry standards. ZBrush is really popular now for detail sculpting, 3d painting, and a particularly intuitive and quick workflow.

But the same 3d model can be made in any modeling package. They're all tools that can spit out the same standardized file formats, or be scripted to produce your own file type. Blender can do the job for free, if you learn its interface.

Recent games only really pump up the polygon count and then take advantage of new shader programming capabilities (so it's not that dependent on the modeling package at all).

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Thanks for the information, do you know what modeling software is used in recent versions of games like Call of Duty and Battlefield?

Thanks for the information, do you know what modeling software is used in recent versions of games like Call of Duty and Battlefield?

Why do you need to know?
Modelling tool used is irrelevant for the final look, they only impact 3d designer convenience and taste.

A safe bet is Maya and ZBrush for Battlefield though (based on the fact they ask for experience in those tools in the job listings on DICE's homepage)
And photoshop for textures...

But really, you can get the exact same result with Blender and GIMP if you don't have the budget for that (very expensive) software.
Final look depends on artist proficiency and the 3D engine used, not the 3D modelling tool.

AAA studios pretty much always use 3dsmax/Maya and ZBrush these days (and have been for several years), it has nothing to do with the quality of the end result, only the amount of work required to get to the desired end result. (3dsmax cost around $4000 per copy, zbrush and maya are in the same pricerange, Those tools are only interesting if your artist salaries are high enough for the productivity gains to outweigh the license fees)
There are cheap (or maybe even free now, not sure) fully featured versions of those tools as well that you can use for education purposes (you're not allowed to use the cheap licenses professionally so if you're planning on going the indie route you should seriously consider getting used to using less expensive tools).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Talented artists used the software of their choosing. Then internal tools converted their output into a game specific format.

Not going to repeat what everyone else has already stated, but don't get hung up on specific tools. Your question is akin to asking a comic book artist which pencil they use, or a carpenter what brand of hammer is best. The tools only vary in workflow and interface, output is dependent on the artist and how those assets are used.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

I understand that the modeling software is not the most important when it come to the final look, but I believe that in order to create high quality work they must have chosen a modeling software that will help them to make much details in the game meshes, plus, I was curious if they use a known modeling software or they have their own.

Thanks everyone,
No. It's the same techniques in each tool. You push polygons around. You start with a basic shape, then make edge loops and pull vertices around until you get the shape you are looking for. then you add texturing.

The same with sprites. The tool doesn't matter. It's all skill and experience.
They definitely aren't using their own tool, but most major studios will have an extensive collection of plugins and scripts that they use in conjunction with their modeling program of choice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement