Looking for a study partner at C++, SDL and OpenGL.

Started by
12 comments, last by Cyths 11 years, 4 months ago
Hi, First time coming to this site. I heard on a few forums this is the place to come to for help. I don't want to waste anyones time, but as the topic suggests I am looking for someone to learn C++ , SDL and eventually OpenGL with me. I am a twin so I am always used to working in a team.

Means of contact: I would much rather talk on google talk as I have found it more reliable than Skype. I am always online after 730pm eastern time zone. I am not to worried about weekends because everyone needs time to relax.

Advisory: As I am a member of the Canadian Forces Ill give you heads up when I will not be online.

final point I am running Ubuntu 12.04 I would like to study with someone also using linux or at least dual booting between linux and something else. But I am fairly easy going. I also was given alot of books from a game design course and again I really need a FTP (Fire Team Partner) to study with. I am very committed to this and I am excited to study and make new friends here.

Thanks for your time Guys and Gals.
Advertisement
Hi there and welcome to the forums! this is also my first post. I'm also learning c++, SDL, and openGL and it has been quite difficult for me as well and i think it would be cool to have a sort of study partner. Unfortunately I don't run Linux as I have Windows 7. That seems to be the only problem. I have a small amount of experience with c++ and sdl and it isn't that difficult, however openGL is a totally different beast and I get discouraged from learning it lol. But anyway if the fact that i'm running Windows doesn't bother you I'd be happy to learn it with you biggrin.png. Would be nice to have someone on the same level and learn together and share ideas.
This great news.I honestly didn't think anyone would respond. I really don't care if you use windows. Send me a pm when you wanna start.
I'd be interested. I use Ubuntu 12.10, know C++, and am learning OpenGL. I don't know SDL but I know SFML, which I personally prefer.

Want to get to know my work and I better? See my website: Au 79 Games

I wrote General Tips on the Process of Solo Game Development

Its a shame more people dont do stuff like this. People are often told they would commit more to exercise if they worked out with a friend, I would assume the same rule could be applied here XD

I think one of things this site lacks is a chat where programmers (not necessarily beginners) could comment on their learning achievements and talk of pet projects etc, I briefly check the GD IRC chat from time to time but it seems this sort of chat would be unsuitable there
Hey, I'd be up for this! I'm running Ubuntu 12.10, I know C++ (the basics, I haven't explored the advanced C++11 features yet), and this would be a great way for me to get into low-level SDL and OpenGL.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I use PyGame at the moment, which gives me an incentive to learn the underlying SDL.

Its a shame more people dont do stuff like this. People are often told they would commit more to exercise if they worked out with a friend, I would assume the same rule could be applied here XD

I think one of things this site lacks is a chat where programmers (not necessarily beginners) could comment on their learning achievements and talk of pet projects etc, I briefly check the GD IRC chat from time to time but it seems this sort of chat would be unsuitable there

Hey, I'd be up for this! I'm running Ubuntu 12.10, I know C++ (the basics, I haven't explored the advanced C++11 features yet), and this would be a great way for me to get into low-level SDL and OpenGL.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I use PyGame at the moment, which gives me an incentive to learn the underlying SDL.

This has me very excited. I didn't think I would get a response like this. So for every ones know I want everyone to add me on Google talk at Ultimoore@gmail.com and well get to know each other . Thefirst day is Monday DEC 3 730pm east time zone. Ill hand out the PDF's well read together and I want us all to ask each other questions.

[quote name='Dynamo_Maestro' timestamp='1354385310' post='5006056']

This has me very excited. I didn't think I would get a response like this. So for every ones know I want everyone to add me on Google talk at Ultimoore@gmail.com and well get to know each other . Thefirst day is Monday DEC 3 730pm east time zone. Ill hand out the PDF's well read together and I want us all to ask each other questions.
[/quote]

This would be awesome way to learn. I've been interested in moving away from Python/Pygame into C++ with SDL or something similar and then onto OpenGL as well. I have researched A LOT of info on many things on game development and what is expected, needed, structure, etc., but nothing really applicable. So hopefully I will try to join the conversation, I'll see what I can do with Google Talk since I never used it before. My strong suit is Python programming along with decent foundation in Pygame, in creating Breakout and an extremely simple prototype of a megman mimic, but nothing fancy. I know C++ pretty decent except for some minor gaps as I don't use it much.
In response to Ultimoore: sounds great! Add me on Google Talk guys, it's nucleartide@gmail.com. I'm gonna put this on Google Calendar so I don't forget. :D
everyone whos interested feel free to add me as well on Google talk. xinfinite33@Gmail.com looking foward to talking with you guys on monday :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement