• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DmitryNik

Ooops... XNA is dead?!.

50 posts in this topic

When the next Xbox is released, it's going to need an SDK/GDK of some sort. That could be a new version of XNA, or something completely different. If it's due in a few years I imagine they'd need to be getting it into the hands of developers pretty soon so there are games available at release?

Personally I think they goofed when they tried to make the exact same framework work for all conceivable devices, not recognising that the long hardware cycle of the Xbox compared to the PC/mobile/tablet means it's holding you back for quite a few years.

Commercial games are not made with XNA though. Big name studios just get hardware capable of running unsigned code and the xbox compilers and documentation etc. They can run native ASM on it if they want.

They have no obligation to provide a service like XNA and the XBLIG. Sony and nintendo do fine without (although sony now have a similar program for the vita). I think they will give us access anyway, why would they take that away when they make a nice little profit from royalties and indie licenses?

I've bought - and played - at least two XNA games commercially via steam (Terraria and Magicka...Magicka being one that looks more like a "real commercial" game in quality, as well as new content). Probably a few others, especially since the "steam green lighting" system is getting more and more indie games onto the distribution platform.

I'm sure if there is no XNA sequel (or any official C#/.NET graphics binding from Microsoft), eventually more and more folks will be using something more up to date like SharpDX and it will be true that you won't see anyone using XNA commercially . But that's exactly what it is too...a means to do the graphics. Xna has some extra incentivies that makes it nice to use for game making, but at the end of the day most of that work is done (at least, the quality ones) through your efforts, sweat, and blood (or tears). Edited by Starnick

[quote name='superman3275' timestamp='1354392150' post='5006083']
No offense, however this is the 7th thread on this topic in the past two months [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]!
[/quote]Too late, I'm offended now! [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/angry.png[/img]

Nah seriously, does somebody knows if there are any news regarding a future online platform of the next Xbox? 'Cause, as I see it, XNA offered to "tie in" Microsoft's biggest platforms around. It does surely looks like a good deal for them, specially with the direction they're going with Windows 8.

Imagine a single XNAish framework that works across all Windows 8 editions and Xbox, obviously passing through Windows Store first. It would be strange not to see such thing in the next few years.

I feel like they have "dropped" XNA because of their efforts on native development and windows 8/WinRT/WP8...

The lead developer (Shawn Hargreaves) of XNA has moved on to... a XNA-like framework for C++ [url="http://directxtk.codeplex.com/"]http://directxtk.codeplex.com/[/url].

Just use MonoGame (actively developed clone of XNA) or SharpDX (which will require you to learn the actual DirectX library).

I would be very happy if they happen to create another XNA-like framework for the new xbox or upgrade the current XNA. Edited by Xanather

With their native code push I don't think its entirely infeasible to suggest that the "XNA Replacement" on the next gen console could well support native code with a few restrictions, maybe still requiring the indie license and using the same distribution methods, if this is the case it would also be theoretically possible for a monogame port I guess. I wonder if monogame on WP8 is possible

[quote name='6677' timestamp='1354557291' post='5006692']
With their native code push I don't think its entirely infeasible to suggest that the "XNA Replacement" on the next gen console could well support native code with a few restrictions, maybe still requiring the indie license and using the same distribution methods, if this is the case it would also be theoretically possible for a monogame port I guess. I wonder if monogame on WP8 is possible
[/quote]

Monogame is definitely possible on WP8. As is Microsoft's XNA.

The problem with XNA is that, from what we know so far, it won't be supported anymore..so no new WP8 features for XNA apps.

Well lack of XNA support is why I was thinking monogame. But I guess really thats a pointless suggestion come to think of it, its easy enough to backport to XNA which for now still exists and can deploy to WP7, WP8 then runs the WP7 apps no problem so I guess really it doesnt matter if monogame works or not, although a native version would still be cool.

[quote name='TheChubu' timestamp='1354483436' post='5006395']
Nah seriously, does somebody knows if there are any news regarding a future online platform of the next Xbox? 'Cause, as I see it, XNA offered to "tie in" Microsoft's biggest platforms around. It does surely looks like a good deal for them, specially with the direction they're going with Windows 8.

Imagine a single XNAish framework that works across all Windows 8 editions and Xbox, obviously passing through Windows Store first. It would be strange not to see such thing in the next few years.[/quote]

If the XBox 720 is running some version of Windows 8 or RT, then the "tie in" would just be the Windows SDK. It has already subsumed DirectX. If there [i]was[/i] a native framework like XNA being developed, that's where it would go, and you'd automatically have access to it on all Microsoft platforms. However I doubt they would bother with such a framework, because it appears they don't really need to. Most major commercial developers are already using their own native in-house engines or licensing products like UDK and Unity, and frameworks like MonoGame have already started to pick up the slack for managed game developers. Microsoft created a vacuum, and it has started to fill on its own. No use spending resources on a problem that's solving itself for free [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

That makes sense in the short term, but there are tech innovations coming on the horizon. We wonder what Microsoft will launch to take advantage of them.

Clinton Edited by 3Ddreamer

Here is some info about XNA and WP 8 OS: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windowsphone/develop/jj207003(v=vs.105).aspx

Also, here http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/develop/jj206940(v=vs.105).aspx could be found, what's new in Win 8 SDK.

But, no, new apps that target WP 8.0 OS [b]can't [/b]be developed. Edited by DmitryNik

Well, XNA no doubt hooked and inspired many hobby and some eventual pro game programmers, so the advantages long term in that are obvious, but shorter term you are totally correct.

Clinton Edited by 3Ddreamer

[quote name='kunos' timestamp='1354983495' post='5008516']
I find a bit amusing how somebody here is convinced that MS will support "indie" style development on the new XBox. Ya they did on the current one, but it came long after the XBox release and I have the impression that the quality of the games released with XNA on the XBox was from poor to very poor to very poor with avatars. I don't have numbers, but I doubt it was a profitable move for MS.. so I will be really surprised to see an "indie" support on the new consoles, at least for some years after the launch.

As for being "dead".. it works on X360, PC (pretty much every Windows OS out there) and WP7x ... how can this be defined "dead" is beyond my comprehension.
[/quote]

Yeah, how remoting(another MS technique used several years ago. And as far as I know MS doesn't develop or supported it anymore either ) could be dead, if it still could be used? =)) I can't call something alive if it doesn't supported anymore(active developing, adding new features etc.). Above links could be considered only as a relief for some persons, who don't believe XNA will not be developed anymore. The sadest part of this story is: they(persons) will teach us this crap(XNA) in the uni after this X-mas, instead of changing the program. Edited by DmitryNik

I guess, you are right.

I don't think so either that MS will regret about pulling the plug on XNA. Edited by DmitryNik

We don't even know if we will be able to run our own code on the next gen xbox. I'm hoping that we can but then I might not even be getting a new console

[quote name='DmitryNik' timestamp='1354987013' post='5008530']
I can't call something alive if it doesn't supported anymore
[/quote]

My parents long ago stopped supporting me and [i]I[/i] am still alive. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/blink.png[/img]

Clinton

[quote name='kunos' timestamp='1354983495' post='5008516']
I find a bit amusing how somebody here is convinced that MS will support "indie" style development on the new XBox.
[/quote]
That's actually a good point. XNA on the Xbox360 is the exception, not the rule. I think Microsoft are now scratching their indy development itch with windows 8, which suggests to me that they've moved on from XNA. That doesn't make it dead, but it may not receive any more love in the future.

[quote name='3Ddreamer' timestamp='1355006269' post='5008618']
I can't call something alive if it doesn't supported anymore
[/quote]

My parents long ago stopped supporting me and [i]I[/i] am still alive. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/blink.png[/img]

Clinton
[/quote]

XNA is not capable to develop itself, is it? [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.png[/img]

The sadest part of this story is: they(persons) will teach us this crap(XNA) in the uni after this X-mas, instead of changing the program.
[/quote]

You can often apply the skills you learn using one technology to other situations using similar technologies. It's still going to be useful for you.

[quote name='Zipster' timestamp='1354741120' post='5007516']If the XBox 720 is running some version of Windows 8 or RT, then the "tie in" would just be the Windows SDK. It has already subsumed DirectX. If there [i]was[/i] a native framework like XNA being developed, that's where it would go, and you'd automatically have access to it on all Microsoft platforms. However I doubt they would bother with such a framework, because it appears they don't really need to. Most major commercial developers are already using their own native in-house engines or licensing products like UDK and Unity, and frameworks like MonoGame have already started to pick up the slack for managed game developers. Microsoft created a vacuum, and it has started to fill on its own. No use spending resources on a problem that's solving itself for free [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]
[/quote]Hm, that's true. Besides, MS wouldn't want to launch a new "XNA-like" framework so late after W8 SDK...

[quote name='willpowered' timestamp='1355158520' post='5009121']
You can often apply the skills you learn using one technology to other situations using similar technologies. It's still going to be useful for you.
[/quote]

I guess so. I'm using those skills right now studying DircetX on my own.