• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mousetail

Space game ideas

14 posts in this topic

I am planning to make a space rpg, and i want it to be free-world(no fixed story line(but maybe a starting story at the beginning), just wandering about the universe looking for quests). I have 3 questions:
* how do I make new stars accessible only when you get better ships? something like hyperspace could allow a one-time upgrade that could take you far distances, but i want to gradually open up more groups of planets? just making them faster wont work, because you can still get there if you have patience, and users might not guess that there will be a easier way to get there, also if you are halfway, you cant go back without flying for a long time.
* how do I make a basic story for a free-world game? how do i keep it interesting, while not forcing people to follow a fixed story-line, but still get there upgrades to go to newer places in multiple ways maybe? All the free-world games i have seen are MMORPG's, do they have to be multi-player to be free-world?
*how do I make the scale of the planets good, probably I would at least have to have a separate scene for each planet, but that will be unrealistic, because everything is so much bigger on the planet then in space. also, how do I arrange a massive universe, even with 'small' planets, should i have you just zap to the next scene when you hit the wall, or maybe a hyperspace system?
any suggestions are welcomed, thanks.

I think Lord Darkshayde and dot_dot_dot covered stuff pretty well, but here are my thoughts:

[quote name='mousetail' timestamp='1354283746' post='5005683']
* how do I make new stars accessible only when you get better ships? something like hyperspace could allow a one-time upgrade that could take you far distances, but i want to gradually open up more groups of planets? [b]just making them faster wont work, because you can still get there if you have patience, and users might not guess that there will be a easier way to get there, also if you are halfway, you cant go back without flying for a long time[/b].[/quote]
I would re-think the fundamentals of your movement system to disallow or discourage players from getting very far at all if they try to go to a planet deliberately out of reach. You could do that by giving them a warning or simply making it impossible somehow to even go in an impossible direction. One way to do that would be to say that a Class C ship only has a jump range of X, so it's physically impossible to get to stars more than X away until you get a Class B ship. Or you could make travel dependent on jump gates, which require "passes" that are either expensive or require you to complete a mission or something for whatever faction/authority controls the gate.

[quote]*how do I make the scale of the planets good, probably I would at least have to have a separate scene for each planet, but that will be unrealistic, because everything is so much bigger on the planet then in space. also, how do I arrange a massive universe, even with 'small' planets, should i have you just zap to the next scene when you hit the wall, or maybe a hyperspace system?
any suggestions are welcomed, thanks. [/quote]
You might want to look at Infinity, if just to gape in wonder: http://www.infinity-...e.com/Infinity/

What are you defining as a "scene"? Like an intro video, or an interactive environment of some kind? You could always modularize the crap out of everything, like have set textures for a lava planet, ice planet, rocky planet, etc and drap them over different terrain with a different sky tint.

[quote name='Prinz Eugn' timestamp='1354569477' post='5006787']
What are you defining as a "scene"?
[/quote]
I mean one 'room' were you can walk around freely without having to load stop and wait for it to load new data, or teleport to new scenes with whom there is no other physical connection.

[quote name='BRRGames' timestamp='1354588192' post='5006915']
I like the suggestions above, just giving you another option:

Whilst questing, rumors of new quests come with the navigation coords of that planet. Those coords are entered into the ship's navigation system, which then allows you to hyperspace to it.

BTW, if you only allow hyperspace jumps between planets, there is no need to have the entirety of space in game (ie: Infinity style). You'd be able to get away with each planetary system (ie: star plus any planets, satellite objects, etc) being an isolated scene, thus making it easier to manage.
[/quote]

I think this is a good idea. You divide the universe in zones where each zone has a coords coded with some integers. You can jump to each zone with the hyperdrive. Now you place planetary systems in certain zones and all other zones are just empty, maybe with some random stuff like asteroids (which could be generated procedurally from the zone coords). So everything is in principle accessible, but it is impossible to guess the few zones which actually have planetary systems. That is, you would have to find out the coordinates by interacting with other people etc.

You could still make things more accessible with better technology. E.g., you get the information that a certain planet is somewhere near (1000,4000,5000). Let's say 'near' defines a space of 1000 zones. Now you could visit each zone till you find the planet, or you could upgrade your scanning system which allows you to scan nearby zones for inhabitable planets or something, allowing you to find the planet in a much shorter time.

edit: another example for a single player open world rpg would be gothic 3 Edited by Inferiarum

[quote name='mousetail' timestamp='1354619394' post='5007038']
[quote name='Prinz Eugn' timestamp='1354569477' post='5006787']
What are you defining as a "scene"?
[/quote]
I mean one 'room' were you can walk around freely without having to load stop and wait for it to load new data, or teleport to new scenes with whom there is no other physical connection.
[/quote]
Oh, okay, I was thinking in film terms for some reason. For that I think all you need is a few modular assets, that could be themed for whatever faction that control/inhabit the section of space you're in. You could have a few regional hubs with customized scenes but have far more procedurally generated using the same few buildings or whatever.

You could even say that obscure planets have only outposts, like a space 7-Eleven, and reuse the same building for each one, just switching up the inventory and some of the textures and NPCs.

[quote name='Cyberdogs7' timestamp='1354657128' post='5007196']
Star Control 2.
[/quote]
Great game -- if you haven't played it before it's well worth taking a look for inspiration or just to see how they approached certain problems. There's a free open-sourced version available under the title "[url="http://sc2.sourceforge.net/"]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]", based upon the source from the original game which was released to the public.

Having better ships make new planets available sounds like a key and lock system, where perhaps certain planets have atmospheres that are destructive to ship alloys, or some ships need certain kinds of magnetic shields to be compatible with the magnetic fields of the planets.

Why is it upgrades for a ship that gets you further.

Even on one planet it's a PRETTY BIG DEAL moving from country to country, sure you can go plenty of places but not just anywhere or at least being able to do something useful anywhere on the planet. To make things worse your character has a spaceship, that's pretty much like saying "Hi I'm moving from country to country but I'm bringing several thousand people with, is probably the "mega-artillery of the future", and probably follows robinson's/jon's laws* ". Now you get to scarier things like import/export laws, bacteria/viral infections, taxes, paperwork, and racism...

Here's a nice website to consider if you ever want to research a space game, it's pretty disappointing more developers don't use it: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/

*Robinson's - Anything reaching 3KM(2Mi)/second packs it's own weight in TNT of explosive power on impact Jon's- Any sufficiently interesting form or propulsion is a weapon of mass destruction(IE cut other ships in half, move space stations out of orbit, set atmospheres on fire, and similar without remotely trying). Edited by lithos

This game has been made before and it was every bit as awesome as you think it would be.

[color=#ff0000][size=4][u][i][b]Star Control 2[/b][/i][/u][/size][/color]

That should answer all your questions.
[/quote]
Exactly this.

This game has been made before and it was every bit as awesome as you think it would be.

Star Control 2.

That should answer all your questions.
[/quote]

Ummm... no ...[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)"] This should[/url]. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]