Is there any chance of C# bieng adopted by the AAA game studios, as a replacement to C++?

Started by
64 comments, last by sankrant 11 years, 4 months ago
C++ has a niche in Middleware development. Can C# replace it?
Advertisement
Not only is there a chance, but it has already happened.

Years ago.

Several engines at my studio (EA) are written in C#, or a mix of C# and C++.
Can you please name a few? It will be very kind of you....
Why replace C++ why not just use C# and C++ together, I think C++ gets far too much hate these days and C# not enough compliments yet both can be used together efficiently :/

Can you please name a few? It will be very kind of you....

I'm not sure what I can point out without breaking NDA, but it is public knowledge that The Sims 3 used C# for the objects and interactions code, and the SIms3 modding community apparently love it.

I know of three other engines that do, but I can't find references to any of those three on Google so I'm not posting them.

Second Life also used C# for scripting.
Okay, I did find some references to this one in Google as well. The latest Frostbite engine also has C#. That engine has shipped several games.
The only obstacle to this - and I emphasize only - is adoption by console manufacturers. Until C++ is displaced there, it will continue to be heavily used for major game development that involves consoles.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

The only obstacle to this - and I emphasize only - is adoption by console manufacturers. Until C++ is displaced there, it will continue to be heavily used for major game development that involves consoles.
We use mono on the consoles. It is a little more difficult to debug, but not so much more than C# using the various awful debuggers out there.

We use mono on the consoles. It is a little more difficult to debug, but not so much more than C# using the various awful debuggers out there.

C++ debuggers?
@frob Frostbite does uses C#; only the game editor is writern in C#, rest pipeline (c++), render engine (c++), etc.
If you have any solid link about, that would be too nice of you...

Also, in sims 3 the main game logic (upper level) is C#, but the core engine (renderer etc) is C++...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement