• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwezorek

Does anyone *not* hate VS 2012's UI?

18 posts in this topic

Just installed Visual Studio 2012 at work on Friday, and I'd just like to say -- and I'm not someone who is big on complaining about this kind of stuff i.e. I generally like shiny new UIs with pretty graphics etc. -- that I don't think I've ever hated a user interface to anything more. I mean I just don't get it. Anyway, after googling "visual studio 2012 ugly" it seems that this is a pretty common reaction. Was wondering if anyone actually likes it? Edited by jwezorek

I don't hate the VS2012 UI, but I'm not a fan either. I can get everything done just as fast as I could with VS2010, and that's good enough for me.
I did change the colour scheme to the dark variant though, the light theme really started to be a strain on the eyes after a while.

VS2012 with the dark theme and the all-caps menu disabled actually looks better than VS2010, in my opinion. In fact, VS actually looks to me like it was [i]designed[/i] to run like that. Maybe I just like dark colour schemes. Edited by Oberon_Command

I love VS2012 UI. By the way, [url="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10859173/how-to-disable-all-caps-menu-titles-in-visual-studio-2012-rc"]here's how you disable all-caps[/url].

I think there is as much to love as there is to hate. Why would you have to edit the registry to fix the all caps menu?

IMO, you shouldn't be touching the registry manually to begin with, MS of all people should know better. Especially for a setting that everyone will want to change the second they open the app up.

At first, I hated it. Then I realized that 99% of the time, I'm looking at the code and can't even see the menus and solution explorer. The code looks identical. So I don't really care anymore. That said, first impressions are very important, and hopefully the VS team spends some time making it look nicer in the next release.

On the plus side, 2012 Express finally includes the built-in unit testing system, AND lets me mix C# and C++ like the previous paid versions. Woot! Edited by Nypyren

Try the dark theme, the majority of people that dislike the stock theme much prefer dark, and some of them even like it better than VS2010's default. I don't find it much of a distraction myself, but I've had awhile to get used to it.

And if the caps menus bother you, you can do the registry tweak, just be careful about it.

[quote name='Nypyren' timestamp='1354428541' post='5006218']
On the plus side, [b]2012 Express finally includes the built-in unit testing system[/b], AND lets me mix C# and C++ like the previous paid versions. Woot!
[/quote]
Holy balls how did that slip under my radar. RAD.

The UI is bad but it's not a deal-breaker. For me the toolbar buttons are nowhere near as important as the Solution Explorer icons, and the inability to visually distinguish between different types of item there without a second, more careful, look is a major minus point but something I expect I'd eventually get used to.

Far worse is a general feeling of sluggishness in the code editor window. That's something that also affected 2010, with 2008 being the last version that was quite nippy.

All-caps menus are something that actually look OK on many products - Office 2013 doesn't suffer on account of using them, and it's easy to see the benefit there. That seems to indicate that they're not a good choice for traditional menu/toolbar oriented apps.

Personally I fail to see the need to update the UI of a tool like VS in this manner. Feature discovery and being able to quickly get at the commands you need to use are more important than visual consistency and any notions of "energy".

[quote name='jwezorek' timestamp='1354382639' post='5006047']
Just installed Visual Studio 2012 at work on Friday, and I'd just like to say -- and I'm not someone who is big on complaining about this kind of stuff i.e. I generally like shiny new UIs with pretty graphics etc. -- that I don't think I've ever hated a user interface to anything more. I mean I just don't get it. Anyway, after googling "visual studio 2012 ugly" it seems that this is a pretty common reaction. Was wondering if anyone actually likes it?
[/quote]

Afer VS 2008, it all went to crap. Latest versions of Visual Studio are too slow and ugly for me.
Opening property sheets just to configure something are too slow. And those Intellisense files get
bigger and bigger every release. They create huge, bloated files.

[quote name='megabaki' timestamp='1354688284' post='5007312']
Afer VS 2008, it all went to crap. Latest versions of Visual Studio are too slow and ugly for me.
Opening property sheets just to configure something are too slow. [b]And those Intellisense files get
bigger and bigger every release. They create huge, bloated files.[/b]
[/quote]
Intellisense got overhauled for 2012.

My only wish is that I could make the intellisense files go to a customizable path. It stinks when you have to find it and delete it every time you want to share your source code and project files, or copy it all a file at a time by hand.

Also, while it was an eye-shock at first, I kind of like the UI - once you get into programming it really stays out of your way, and when I do need to use it, I've actually found most features easier to locate than before. Maybe it is because I am working on a laptop with a pixel resolution height of 768? I don't know. But it's nice to me :)

[quote name='achild' timestamp='1354722816' post='5007424']
My only wish is that I could make the intellisense files go to a customizable path. It stinks when you have to find it and delete it every time you want to share your source code and project files, or copy it all a file at a time by hand.
[/quote]
I agree. To automate the deletion you can install cygwin and then execute this:
find . -name "*.sdf" -exec rm {} \;
Another (actually nicer) way is to use a version control system and not to check in those files. All you have to do to get a clean version is to check out your repo and zip that.

[quote]
Does anyone *not* hate VS 2012's UI?
[/quote]
*raises hand* I actually like the new UI (in the dark theme). The only thing I found very annoying is the all-caps menu bar (but it's fixed now, thanks to regedit). Edited by brx

I don't hate it, I kind off like it actually. I hid the main menu and am using the blue theme though. What I do in all versions: hide the horizontal scroll- and status bar, display line numbers and put solution explorer on auto hide. This increases amount of code visible on screen significantly.

I also like how single clicking in the solution window opens a temporary tab, same goes for when you jump to function definitions and searching through a solution. Double clicking opens the file and now leaves the solution explorer shown, I like this change as well.

My only dislike is the stupid intellisense, I'm used to Visual Assist X, which is better at picking stuff that makes sense. Auto completion behaviour seems weird as well, I'm used to pressing the return key for completion, but Visual Studio sometimes doesn't have an item selected from the list which results in a newline -.-'. Edited by Mussi

[quote name='n3Xus' timestamp='1354382782' post='5006049']
I just want Ctlf+F to pop up the old style search dialog.
[/quote]

If I missed someone providing this information already I apologize, but you can do a CTRL+SHIFT+F to search the entire solution and it uses the familiar dialog you are looking for. At least, it does for me.