Does anyone *not* hate VS 2012's UI?

Started by
17 comments, last by verp 11 years, 4 months ago
Just installed Visual Studio 2012 at work on Friday, and I'd just like to say -- and I'm not someone who is big on complaining about this kind of stuff i.e. I generally like shiny new UIs with pretty graphics etc. -- that I don't think I've ever hated a user interface to anything more. I mean I just don't get it. Anyway, after googling "visual studio 2012 ugly" it seems that this is a pretty common reaction. Was wondering if anyone actually likes it?
Advertisement
I just want Ctlf+F to pop up the old style search dialog.
I don't hate the VS2012 UI, but I'm not a fan either. I can get everything done just as fast as I could with VS2010, and that's good enough for me.
I did change the colour scheme to the dark variant though, the light theme really started to be a strain on the eyes after a while.

I gets all your texture budgets!

My initial thoughts on the UI were 'ugh' but after testing some new features I forgot about the UI
Yeah! What is up with the All Caps menu bar?
I didn't like it either!
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
VS2012 with the dark theme and the all-caps menu disabled actually looks better than VS2010, in my opinion. In fact, VS actually looks to me like it was designed to run like that. Maybe I just like dark colour schemes.
I love VS2012 UI. By the way, here's how you disable all-caps.
An invisible text.
Yeah.. it's pretty effin bad. It's tough to distinguish between some of the UI features given they are all so monochromatic.
I think there is as much to love as there is to hate. Why would you have to edit the registry to fix the all caps menu?

IMO, you shouldn't be touching the registry manually to begin with, MS of all people should know better. Especially for a setting that everyone will want to change the second they open the app up.
At first, I hated it. Then I realized that 99% of the time, I'm looking at the code and can't even see the menus and solution explorer. The code looks identical. So I don't really care anymore. That said, first impressions are very important, and hopefully the VS team spends some time making it look nicer in the next release.

On the plus side, 2012 Express finally includes the built-in unit testing system, AND lets me mix C# and C++ like the previous paid versions. Woot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement