Would You Live on Mars?

Started by
139 comments, last by L. Spiro 11 years, 3 months ago
I think you'd have to be very stable psychologically to survive out there.
You'd be living with a relatively small and very slow growing group of people for the rest of your life on a planet completely devoid of any other life (as far as we know). Every time you want to leave your living quarters you have to take the necessary precautions so the hostile environment doesn't kill you, and believe me it can kill you quite easily in quite a lot of interesting ways.
On top of that, all communication with earth is heavily delayed, so you can forget about ever having a proper conversation with anyone you ever knew on earth ever again.

I can think of a lot more of these "reasons to go insane on mars", but I think you get the point.
If you believe you're able to cope with all these things, more power to you, but personally I really can't imagine my mental health surviving all too long out there.

I gets all your texture budgets!

Advertisement
I would go in a heartbeat too. Living on the frontier is something I always wondered about when I read history books as a child. Everything around us on the planet has been explored... I want to go to a new place and discover new things. I was never one that was dependent on a lot of things in order to live, so I imagine I could live quite well in the limited environment (slow internet, no water etc lol).
Visit my website! donny.webfreehosting.net
out of curiousity, would anyone here saying no to mars, give thought to moving to the moon?, it'd wouldn't be unreasonable that you couldn't get back to earth within a short time frame, communication would be delayed by only a few seconds, rather than half an hour on mars.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
I'd move to one of these, after the asteroid-mining business booms so we can build them:
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/design/2012/01/nasas-groovy-concept-art-orbiting-cities-future/1085/
http://settlement.arc.nasa.gov/70sArt/art.html

IMO, colonising other planets should come after that, as we'd be in a much better position to start a moon/Mars base once an orbital economy is up and running wink.png
I would totally go!

As soon as the demand for composers developed on the Red Planet, I would be able to get a real corner on the market. biggrin.png

But truly, yes, I would go because it would mean being part of one of the most important and ambitious steps humans have ever taken. It would be lonely and scary, and the scenery might get dull after a while, but the same could be said of Christopher Columbus' ride.
Nope. At least not in its current state. I would get soooo bored. It would be cool for the first bit, but... what then? Internet? It's a 30-minute ping on an already low bandwidth connection. I'd also probably get pretty lonely, even if there were some other people there. There wouldn't be enough diversity (in people) there for me. I already spend enough time being bored on earth where I've got a ton to do. I seriously don't think I'd handle a tiny living space, very little freedom (want to go outside? first put on this massive space suit; oh, and you only have so much oxygen), etc. very well. Heck, just the flight there would probably be the death of me.

However, I have made it a goal of mine to go to the moon before I die. But on a two-way ticket.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
But on a two-way ticket.

This is an important point. The trip to Mars should not be a one-way thing. As I remember hearing, they were wanting to do it as a reality show, and the one-way thing was pure exploitation, in my opinion.

If we are to go to Mars, it should not be solely for the purpose of making a reality TV show about it.

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1354512153' post='5006503']But on a two-way ticket.

This is an important point. The trip to Mars should not be a one-way thing. As I remember hearing, they were wanting to do it as a reality show, and the one-way thing was pure exploitation, in my opinion.

If we are to go to Mars, it should not be solely for the purpose of making a reality TV show about it.
[/quote]

you're forgetting about the shear amount of money required to do this, the only way it will get done, is by taking a step and doing it, and if that step requires essentially creating an truman show, well, it's a start.

the only possible other alternatives for generating the resources are either an extremely valuable/plentiful resource is discovered, and corporations want to mine it(such as Helium-3 on the moon), or over population/pollution forces us to leave or die, or lastly some really really rich people decide to say fuck it, let's go!.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
How long have you lived in Tokyo? I was in Japan for 4 years, and despite what you might want to think you still do live around "people :)" They also have their gardens.

I wonder as I wander...

http://www.davesgameoflife.com

I would have to say goodbye to a few very close friends. But I know they would be probably happier knowing I'm going for good.
I am not scared of manual labor and I've survived accidents with (previously believed to be) 100% mortality rate.
Given my skills, I believe I could be an excellent all-rounder. You really want to have me on one of those ships.
Planned departure?

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement