Would You Live on Mars?

Started by
139 comments, last by L. Spiro 11 years, 3 months ago

There will only be 4 people at first and they will be carefully chosen based on their social dynamics. They will be put together for 3 months at a time in the desert every 2 years and undergo many other group tests for 10 years before ever leaving for Mars. So if they can’t get along they don’t go together.

I am already planning what will be in my application video/letter.
I am quite serious about wanting to go myself, and am about 90% sure I will apply as soon as possible. I look forward even to the training and exercise—it would be nice to get back into shape.

L. Spiro

Good luck Spiro! Sounds like a harsh but cool experience, not for me but I can see why it would be attractive to many people :)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Advertisement

There will only be 4 people at first and they will be carefully chosen based on their social dynamics. They will be put together for 3 months at a time in the desert every 2 years and undergo many other group tests for 10 years before ever leaving for Mars. So if they can’t get along they don’t go together.

I am already planning what will be in my application video/letter.
I am quite serious about wanting to go myself, and am about 90% sure I will apply as soon as possible. I look forward even to the training and exercise—it would be nice to get back into shape.

L. Spiro

If you go, you HAVE to make at least one post here at GameDev from Mars. Good luck!
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
My list of things to accomplish here on Earth is so big I don't have a life span big enough to go to Mars yet.
Even by visiting a lot of countries and places I can't feel that it is ever enough. I want to really explore Earth, every little bit of it, just like an outsider for the first time.

Maybe on a next life I explore Mars smile.png

EDIT: A MUST have thing in your backpacks will be board games. I know everyone loves them, and by playing it, you guys will have some real fun and will get know each other much better. Check out the TableTop show on youtube. Until 2023 you will have a big list of board/card games. ;)
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
I could see myself signing up to become a colonist on Mars, if the program backing it was sound.

First requirement that would have to be met would be a sane design to the whole program, with a community of at least 100 people in the first few years settling.

The project should not plan on requiring more than communications support after a year or two at most. Each step of the project should be focused on establishing a self-sufficient colony providing its own needs and a decent surplus of food, water, and energy, as well as creating the resources needed for the next phase of expansion. Why ship stuff from earth when we can make it right there from local materials? (This is the key, if you can't survive locally, then you're not really making a colony, you're merely a research outpost.)

The colonists need to have some control over their internal government, and immigration. Before additional colonists would be accepted, they would need to be cleared with previously settled colonial government. Having some government a hundred million km away tell you what you are doing will not sit well with the majority of humans I believe. Some sense of control must be retained.

But yeah, I would work as a labourer role, miner, mechanic, technician, etc, to help build a whole new world for humans to live in, a whole new society where we can start from scratch locally and address many issues of inequality and poor planning that hinder existing societies that were born long before many of the problems they would face were dreamed of. (Of course, it won't be perfect. It will have flaws, but hopefully we can learn from such.)
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I'd love to go if it looked like Rivendelle. Or set adrift in a starship for Alpha Centauri B where that super earth is.* We'd have to have kids and watch them grow so they would enjoy the arrival.

*Edit*
Oh good god. It's 4.3 light years (25.6 trillion miles) away. Dreams dashed. Might have to settle on something closer. Ugh.

Would you take a 1-way trip to Mars?
http://news.yahoo.co...-012824434.html
As for myself, I am ready to go.

I think you should wait until these milestones have been met:

1. First person to land on Mars.
2. First person to return from Mars.
3. First person to die on Mars.
4. First person to commit suicide on Mars.
5. First person to commit murder on Mars.

Then, it will be like home sweet home.
Not if i could never come back. I live in Toronto and i have no problem moving some where else on the planet. Living in space if it was Suppose to happen God would of put man on other planets too.
I wonder nobody sees the fallacy. The main selling point is that it's comparatively "cheap" due to that kind of lottery they do. Seeing how there is no trip home planned... tell me what does the price matter at all? For any "no way to return" trip which is not a con, they could ask any amount of money they want.

People would not mind giving all their money, because there is no returning home, and the money is worth nothing on Mars.

I wonder nobody sees the fallacy. The main selling point is that it's comparatively "cheap" due to that kind of lottery they do. Seeing how there is no trip home planned... tell me what does the price matter at all? For any "no way to return" trip which is not a con, they could ask any amount of money they want.

People would not mind giving all their money, because there is no returning home, and the money is worth nothing on Mars.

Get a lawyer to read the contract. Let's hope he speaks Dutch.

I think most would leave all of their money to their loved ones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement