What would I need to get someone else to program for me OR how can I learn easily from home with no money?

Started by
21 comments, last by MaxieQ 11 years, 4 months ago
Need some programming work? Go find 100k for a good one, 200k for a few of them, or 60k for a compSci graduate fresh out of college basking in this sea of unemployment. Want to learn it yourself, do you lad/lass? Find a cave with internet access and consistent electricity outlets. Bring your computer. Study. All sarcasm aside, there are many members of this site in the same situation as you and your friend. People just don't know programming, I guess, which kind of defeats the purpose as a game won't even be created at all without at least one programmer. Try reading some older yet concrete books on the fundamentals of programming, the likes of K&R, the Dragon Book, and others you can find on the internet (to buy that is, piracy is stupid, especially for books).

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Advertisement
Thanks everyone. A kind of general reply:

Tutorials - Yeah, I think I am just really bad at finding sources/tutorials. I didn't think to search the forums (see, I am bad at it!) but that is good advice. I will try that soon.

Authorware - I have used a lot of programs like that before. I like them but in the end I usually am frustrated by the lack of freedom (though I know a lot offer quite a bit of freedom). It's that additional programming ability that I lack. Though I'm very impressed to hear of making a platforming game in RMXP. But yeah, I've made my share of games in all kinds of these programs, from as far back as ZZT.

Books - I don't really know what those books are, but I will try to look into them. I don't have money for books and the library is really stingy about what books it lets you check out.

Take a look at the topic "so you're a programmer", it should have plenty of helpful advice for you.

This is just what I'm asking for! I had no idea such a topic existed nor how to find it. Thanks so much!
I found video tutorials were good, usually when following written tutorials, there is an error that if you don't understand why it has an error, They can be hard to fix.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8CAB66181A502179&feature=g-user-a

I found this tutorial in java useful..its a bit more advanced them some of the other game coding tutorials, but its easy enough to stop/rewind, there are simpler ones, and in other languages, if you do want to try something else.
I am always amazed that the replies to this, seems to be, often asked question is the same. So here is, I hope, A different response....
1 - In learning Game Programming while designing a game > Start by keeping it simple and build from there. Choose a simple Language, Choose a simple routine. I Started with BlitzBasic.com for gaming. No complicated Graphic routines to learn, a blend of C++ and basic Language.

2 - Get your game mechanics worked out. For Example : If you need to roll some dice before you move, Then start by learning how to roll Some Dice. If you need a game board then make a Graphic of your game board and write the code to simply display it.

What I am trying to say is that learning how to program a game, became a lot easier if I programmed my game as I was learning how to program my game.

Check out BlitzBasic.com Free Sample download with documentation.

As far As getting a Progammer, Let me Know. I Game. My help me to follow someone else's thought process. I currently Have a 3D first Person Space Shooter / Quest game, an RPG game and a word puzzle game underway. ( WordPuzzle is in test Mode )

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

I kind of agree with Poigahn - you don't "learn programming" then "write a game". You learn as you go. I've been developing games and applications in C and C++ for over 15 years now and I'm still learning on a daily basis.

The trick, as the above poster points out, is to break down your task into smaller and smaller tasks until you have a task simple enough to go research and implement. If you look for a tutorial on "How to write a MMORPG", you'll not have any luck. But if you gradually break the task down smaller and smaller, you'll find yourself looking for a tutorial on "How to create a Direct3D window" or "How to detect a mousepress in Windows" etc.

You'll then find Google far more useful and you'll find source material far more easily.

I'd also agree with other comments here - attitude is king, patience is essential and always, always have a small, manageable goal in sight or you'll lose interest. Breaking things down into smaller chunks helps with this as well.
I didn't read all the posts so sorry if I'm wrong.

It seems everyone goes around the answer: read here, read there, search, etc. But I failed to notice direct answer.
So lets say you decide to use C++ to create your game, but you said you have no idea how to do anything else but console application. Since it's a game you need graphics, well OpenGL and DirectX APIs can be used for graphics. Finding tutorial on Google is easy (doesn't mean it's good), it'll explain and show how to draw just colored triangle, then models and so on. That should get you started.

Though I'm very impressed to hear of making a platforming game in RMXP.

Was a long time ago... (omg I'm so old)

http://www.creationa...=26374&hl=mario

(You have to have RMXP to run it. Sorry, I don't have the stuff on this PC.)
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Okay- I will take the Job of your Programming Consultant. I like the pay. Very little Taxation at that level.
The first thing I need as your programmer is your story. What is the game about ? Are we going to follow a story-line or have open play ?
Next, is your game based on what the charactor(s) in the story can do ? Or, on what the player can do ? This will direct our Graphic Options.

Let me know. I want the job !!!

Okay, Why was I voted down for the above statement. The person asked for a programmer and somewhat guidance, I volunteered and was voted down ?
Come on. There was absolutely nothing negative there!!

The original poster asked for advice about how to find a local programmer or advice on how they could handle their own programming and you began responding as if there was a proper job offer. I appreciate that you may have been genuinely wanting to help -- the comment on the pay and taxation is reasonably obviously a joke, but could quite easily have been taken as presumptuous instead -- but are you really surprised that someone found the post objectionable? Your response just isn't particularly relevant to the question asked, especially given the original poster was specifically asking about finding local help.

I wouldn't have down-voted you personally, but I also don't think it's particularly out of place for someone to consider your response to "not improve the conversation". Volunteering probably would have been fine, but in this specific case the original poster wasn't actually looking for a programmer and you responded as if there was an explicit job offer. Always remember that text does not communicate tone -- you have to make it very clear if you're having a bit of a joke or not being entirely serious.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement