• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Being Immortal, Can it be Fun?

This topic is 1949 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I was thinking about Batman: Arkham Asylum and how fantastic that game and it's sequel are.

Then it made me wonder, could a Superman game ever be fun? There have been attempts but none ever successful (some of you, like me, might have painful memories of Superman 64?).

Can playing as Superman, or any similar character who is basically unbeatable, be fun? You wouldn't have a life bar and there'd never be a game over; how could we as game designers make this fun?

Advertisement
Speaking of Immortals, how come no Highlander game since the 1980s (crap Atari version)?

I would have thought that could be fun, building your fighting strategy around finally getting to land the head shot etc.

Or have I missed a Highlander game that's come out since......?

Can playing as Superman, or any similar character who is basically unbeatable, be fun?

So we are talking about invincibility, rather than immortality per se?

Yes, I think an invincible character can be fun to plan. In fact, video game characters are (with few exceptions) effectively invincible already - checkpoints, save games and auto-recharging health bars are all a form of invincibility, where defeat is only a minor setback, and you re-enter the fight refreshed and reinvigorated.

Apart from a few odd games with perma-death (Diablo's hardcore mode, for example), death is really little more than a delaying mechanic in contemporary games.

Speaking of Immortals, how come no Highlander game since the 1980s (crap Atari version)?

I would have thought that could be fun, building your fighting strategy around finally getting to land the head shot etc.

Or have I missed a Highlander game that's come out since......?

I didn't even know there was a 'crap Atari version'. I would have bought it anyway, knowing that I was Connor MacLeod of the clan MacLeod!

Superman isn't as much as a detective as Batman, so a puzzle game with a theme of cleverness might not be appropriate, but instead Superman is all about being a helpful nice guy, so he would fit right into that kind of game where the goal is to solve the personal problems of the other characters. Edited by sunandshadow

Since Superman was mentioned, it should be noted that he is neither immortal, invulnerable nor invincible. As GameCreator mentioned, kryptonite will do him in.

After I beat an RPG game, I like to play with God Mode on, if the game has a God Mode. It make it possible to explore areas without dying all of the time. Apart from that, not having the ability to die and having to start over kind of detracts from the experience of playing. It would make a dreadfully boring game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement