Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MARS_999

Unity
Irrlicht any good?

16 posts in this topic

Title says it all.... I am looking to use a free cross platform engine that has everything for the most part all ready done.

No I don't want to use Unity....

Thanks!

Most likely you will choose between irrlicht and ogre.
Goolging "irrlicht vs ogre" without quote marks will give you a bunch of comparison. You need to check which one will satisfy all your needs.

I didn't use both engine, but I compiled Irrlicht and it's super easy to compile with VC. Also Irrlicht has plenty of wonderful sample code. Not sure about OGRE.

Proof's in the pudding. Go check out their forums and see what others have done with it. From what I can see people have been creating real games with it, which is saying something.

Ogre3d is more complex, and is also more "mature" and has a few more features. Irrlicht is very usable, but at the moment has some missing features that are very important to some people. For example, you can't mix animations without a big workaround, and they don't have ready the flexible vertex format thing yet.

Another possible option to try is [url="http://www.panda3d.org"]panda3d[/url]. It is usually used with python, but you can also use C++. It is quite mature and more complete than either ogre3d or irrlicht in that it includes sound and physics, making it a more complete engine. With the other two, you have to roll your own, or integrate a different library for those things, and then you have to mesh them together, connecting NVidia Physx with irrlicht's scene nodes, or whatever combination you use.

Lastly, what is the problem with Unity? I know the free version is missing some features, but most of those features aren't really needed anyway unless you are going AAA. Also, C# isn't [i] that [/i] different from C/C++. On the other hand, if there is a certain non-free feature that you feel you need, then it makes sense, but I'm curious.

I can't comment on Irrlicht, but I'v been using Ogre since quit some time already and I like it. It's cross platform and will also support Windows Phone 8/WinRT. Ogre's been around since long enought (I was still at school when I first saw it, I'm 27 years old). I don't know what you need but I'm positive it has everything you might need.

Their tutorial are helpfull but not perfect however. I don't like multi-inheritance and one of their tutorial serie use it a lot. You can use the information provided and do your own architecture quite easily with it so it's not big deal.
The documentation looks complete but it's hard to tell.
Their forum are very active so if you never need help they could probably help you.

If you have a good c++ background and programming in general it shouldn't be a problem to learn to program using Ogre.

I've used irrlicht for some time, and in itself it's quite easy to use for simple to moderately complex graphics-related projects, but to be completely honest I wouldn't recommend it anymore these days.

Irrlicht relies on its community a lot to provide features, so you have a bunch of scattered-around half-completed projects to support more current-gen techniques which you'd find standard in any other rendering engine (like support for DX10+). Irrlicht tends to cling to the 'old way' of doing graphics by keeping fixed-function rendering a central aspect of their engine. Using a programmable pipeline is possible though, but last time I tried it it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience.

Another thing that bothers me is that while irrlicht's design is easy enough to understand, it disregards a lot of best practices and coding guidelines which results in huge ugly classes with way too many responsibilities. The last time I used it the scene manager fulfilled the roles of a root scene node (it actually inherited from the scene node 'interface'), a scene tree, and an extremely tightly coupled factory for different scene nodes which explicitly knew about every single type of scene node it had to create.
They also tend to abuse inheritance quite a bit, their scene system for example expects you to inherit from a common scene node interface (which in itself really isn't an interface at all, it only tries to look like an interface) every time you want to add some custom behaviour to your scene.

I can't really comment on Ogre though having never actually used it. I looked over it quite some time ago, but their utter abuse of the singleton pattern (don't know if they still do this) made me decide not to try it.

Wow, so many people have such broad opinions on all these engines and design/coding practices.... :(

I am not interested in learning C# so no to that. I have not enough time to mess around with another aspect in my life anymore.

I am getting the gist that Orge3D or Panda3d maybe the way to go... What about C4?

Thanks!

You could also consider the relatively newly open-sourced [url="https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D"]Torque 3d[/url] ([url="https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D-Documentation"]documentation[/url]).

I haven't used it, but have heard good things about C4, and it's definitely a capable engine if it meets your needs.

OGRE is certainly capable -- questions about the design aside -- but it's probably not what you're looking for -- it's a rendering engine only, not a complete game engine.

Nevermind about ClanLib, it has no tools from what I can see and no animation for meshes either... :(

You could take a look at [url="http://code.google.com/p/urho3d/"]Urho3D[/url]. It's a bit newer and less mature, but it still seems pretty solid and includes rendering, physics, sound and networking.

[quote name='MARS_999' timestamp='1354853688' post='5007988']
I am looking to use a free cross platform engine that has everything for the most part all ready done.
[/quote]
"everything" is a pretty generic word there.

What is it that you want to do? Tell someone your idea for a game and have it made for you - zero code? I was going pretty far in that interpretation but you get the idea. You must have some pretty specific requirements for your game that only you can define so please do.

So far I have:[list]
[*]C/C++ is your language type of choice - or at least C# (.Net in general?) is not an option
[*]Sounds like your game is 3d oriented vs a 2d sidescroller...(elaborate please to the genre)
[*]Is it multiplayer?
[*]Does "everything" include physics, audio, networking?
[/list]
Anyway - I think people have answered the original question which was "Irlicht any good?" as best they can with the limited parameters. It has proven to work for many different people in many different genres. The specifics of whether or not it is a good choice for your particular game will require some more specifics especially if you are looking for alternate libraries. I would be inclined to suggest SFML at this point since it potentially could offer everything you want.

My experience with Irrlicht was from quite some time ago (over a year, maybe almost two), so be cautious with what I say.

To make the HUD of the game I was trying to make I had to resort to custom nodes and reposition them in 3D space every frame so they were always in front of the camera. For something that uses the GPU to do all the important rendering such as a 3D engine does, I'd have expected more than basic blit functionality for 2D, but nope, so I resorted to custom nodes to render the HUD using my own polygons.

I suppose I could go into more detail but my memory regarding Irrlicht is fuzzy right now so I may as well not badmouth for no reason. I had Allegro already installed so I just used it to take care of sound.

Irrlicht has had built in [url="http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/example005.html"]user interface[/url] and [url="http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/example006.html"]2d rendering[/url] functions for quite some time, so that experience is probably out-dated. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

//EDIT: Unless this functionality was already present and you're suggesting that you were expecting something more sophisticated? Just realised I read your post incorrectly the first time through... Edited by jbadams

I've used them both quite extensively, and they are both capable tools. I would say that for a true 3D game, wanting to use the most modern rendering techniques, Ogre is probably a better choice. It has a much more flexible material system, and supports deferred rendering out of the box (as of Ogre 1.8). Some people dislike the use of singletons or it's reliance on a scene graph, but those are minor quibbles when you're trying to make a game. It's not a religion, it's an engine.

Irrlicht is a slightly different beast. It's much less feature rich, but it's very tight, and it provides some higher level functionality that Ogre does not (though Ogre CAN provide that functionality, it just requires coding from the developer). This is mostly in the 2D space, where Irrlicht comes out of the box with an entire orthographic drawing library.

I am currently using Irrlicht (via the IrrlichtLime .NET wrapper) in my project, because it's 2D and I like the easy to use built in 2D functions of Irrlicht. That said, they are [b]rendering engines[/b], not game engines. If you want a [b]game engine[/b], you're better off going the Unity or UDK route (I'm not sure why you don't want to learn C#, if you know C++ you basically already know C#...I sense some bias there). Edited by GnomeTank

[quote name='jbadams' timestamp='1355233760' post='5009417']
//EDIT: Unless this functionality was already present and you're suggesting that you were expecting something more sophisticated? Just realised I read your post incorrectly the first time through...
[/quote]
Yeah, I meant that. I had to resort to custom nodes to work around its limitations. At least it led to the funny event of there being a giant "PAUSE" banner in the middle of the field when I was first testing my code =P

As of now I am going to use Irrlicht, I looked at Orge3D, and it looks ok also, but for now going to try Irrlicht, and if I find it to be a PITA, I will try Orge3D after that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Edoardo396
      Hi guys, I'm trying to make a crossword puzzle game for practice.
      Sorry but I've no idea on where to start.
      It should be basic game where the user must enter the word in the correct place and nothing else. (I am sure you know how to play crosswords!)
      I have to export it to Android and (if possible) to iOS.

What engine would I want use?
      I thought to use Unity in order to develop it but I'm not very good with it (and, honestly, I don't like it that much)
      How is Unreal Engine 4 with Basic 2D Games like this one? If I could use UE4 it would be better because I know more C++ than C#. 
      I also thought about making this app with a "basic" IDE such as Android Studio (and) xCode but I would have to do the work twice and I want to avoid that if possible.
      Does anyone know if there is a library or something useful for making crossword games?
      Thank you very much for the answers and have a nice day!
      I apologize for the bad English but I'm not American/English.
      Edoardo

• By kyuubi
      Hello everyone,
      We are looking for some talented artists to join our team in developing a new classic style adventure game.
      Open Positions
      Our team is currently looking for two artists, one 3D model artist and one 2D concept artist.
      2D Concept Artist
      Help us translate the concepts into visuals to improve our 3D model workflow
      3D Artist
      Help with creating 3D environments, buildings, props, dressing etc.
      3D Animator
      Someone that can bring our models to life and make them feel less static.
      What we are looking for
      We have a fun and talented team working on an ambitious project, but we need help in creating 3D assets. We need people with experience, comfortable with defining streamlined workflows and producing work in a quick pace.
      We also need someone to help bring our ideas to life in 2d concepts first to better improve our workflow in creating the 3D scenes.
      Although it is a hobbyist project, we take the project seriously and we are committed to finish the project, so we need people that can commit to the project with the goal to end it.
      The ideal candidate
      Is used to work for milestones and timelines Used to working in a collaborative approach within a team environment Has time available to be present on a regular basis, appear on slack and provide updates Can output work on a fast pace That understands what it means to work in a project The skills
      For 3D Modeler
      Skilled in creative 3D environments, including props and scene dressing Ideally that has worked with Unity before Bonus points if you have talent for character creation Bonus points if you have actually worked on a title until the end. Experience with Unity (double bonus) For 2D Concept Artist
      Experience with concept art Bonus point if you have created concepts for a game Bonus points if you have actually worked on a title until the end. Experience with Unity (double bonus) For 3D Animator
      Experience animating humanoids and animals Experience animating inanimate objects Experience animating environments (vegetation, ocean etc) Bonus point if you have created concepts for a game Bonus points if you have actually worked on a title until the end. Experience with Unity (double bonus) The Background
      The game takes place in a world almost submerged by water, where all the land that is left are small islands, where the remains of the human race try to survive after the cataclysm known as the Seven Tides.
      You play the story of Jon Riley, a young boy living in the Island of Chelonii, in the Eastern Kingdom of Khalandrie. After a visit from an old mysterious acquaintance, his grandfather, the only relative Jon has mysteriously disappears and Jon embarks on a quest to find what happened to him, while discovering the truth about himself, and the underlying mystery of the Island.
      For a full description of the game check out The Game page. (user: seventides pass: indie)
      The Mechanics
      The game will be mainly feed from the traditional mechanics of adventure games popular in the 90’s with games like The Broken Sword, Monkey Island, The Longest Journey, Full Throttle, The Dig etc.
      It also introduces some RPG elements that promote exploration in order to immerse the player deeper in the world. The main driver of the gameplay experience is going to be the story as it's traditional in this genre of games.
      The Art Style
      Currently the adopted art style is a flat shaded, low poly style. You can see some examples below and the full gallery here (user: seventides pass: indie). Please not all of the screens are work in progress as we are working in iterations to move faster.

The Music
      We are lucky to have an amazing musician and talented producer in the team that is composing amazing musical scores for the game. If you want to hear some music samples get in touch!
      The Tools
      The game is being developed in Unity 5 in 3D low poly flat shade style. We are currently using the following main tools:
      Unity 5 - Game engine Dialog System - Dialog System for non linear interactive dialog databases Adventure Creator - State machine for the traditional adventure game workflows FMOD - Sound Engine Blender - 3D Modelling Sculptris - 3D Char sculpting Slack - Communication Trello - Task Management Our Trello Board!

The Team
      We are a team mostly composed by professionals in our areas but new in applying our skills in game development.
      Game Designer/Project Lead - Background in Computer Science and working professionally as the technical director of a leading web development agency in Sydney. Duarte brings maturity in project management methodologies and technical leading. An obsessive adventure game player and very seasoned technologist, Duarte is the founder of the project. Lead Developer - A very experienced developer, Joao is the main man behind the implementation in the Unity engine. He will translate the specs and game design workflows into the engine. He is a professional web developer currently working in Vienna, Austria. Music Producer/Sound Design - A professional musician and music producer, Richard is a guru in enhancing the experience with sound and musical scores. He works professionally as a musician and music teacher and lives in London. 3D Artist/ Character Design - An aspiring musician and hobbyist game designer and 3D artist, Kevin is mainly responsible for character art. He currently lives in Puerto Rico. 3D Artist/ Environment Design - A hobbyist 3D artist, Joshua is mainly responsible for environment art, buildings, landscapes and props. He lives in London. If you are interested
      If you want to join the team, get in touch and I will supply the full game design document, our wiki containing character references, sound design cues etc and provide access to our Slack team chat.
      If you are interested contact me through private message.
      Looking forward to hear from you!
    • By INTwindwolf
      DESCRIPTION
      The team is in need of an assistant Art Team Director that will assist the Project Lead and Art Director in the development of the game. The position does require you to have knowledge of the Unity Game Engine, 3D asset creation software, and a desire for project management.
      The INT team is a large, international team, focused on the development of a core demo which will showcase RPG elements and core features for fundraising and investors. We are a friendly and passionate bunch and hope you will apply soon to be part of our team. Please review the job requirements and responsibilities below.

Starboard Games LLC is looking for a highly professional, qualified, indie team developer to join our ambitious INT project.

As the INT Assistant Art Team Director you will report directly to the Project Lead and Art Lead. In the occurrence of an emergency you would become the acting Art Lead. The position does require a knowledge of the Unity game engine. This is because we would like our Assistant Art Team Director to have a knowledge of the game engine, and the ability to create scenes to showcase assets.
      Furthermore, you would need to be able to create assets for the core demo in a 3D modeling suite. Many of our artists use blender, but if you have a commercial license for another program then that would be acceptable as well. You will also need to possess team management abilities. This means you will be reviewing 3D artist work, 3D artist samples and test submissions, 2D concepts, and possess an understanding of the ‘big picture’ for INT which will be shared with you by our store, lore, and Project Directors.
      Responsibilities:
      1. Report to Art and Project Lead.
      2. Act as Acting Art Lead in the event of an emergency.
      3. Ability to think creatively.
      4. Ability to communicate effectively and work with other team leads.
      5. Desire to see the project through to completion.
      REQUIREMENTS
      1. Knowledge of the Unity Game Engine.
      2. Experience using Unity.
      3. Experience using 3D asset creation suites.
      4. Experience managing a team or being part of a team environment.
      5. Must be able to take feedback constructively.
      6. Must be able to interpret and decipher maps and notes.
      7. Must be able to work from 2D art.
      8. Commitment to the Project and the ability to spend large chunks of time working towards the completion of the project.
      BENEFITS
      We offer revenue-sharing generated from crowd-funding to team members who maintain consistent communication on company projects and meet Starboard Games deadlines. Currently we are unable to offer wages or per-item payments. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
      Thank you for your time! We look forward to hearing from you!
      TO APPLY
      Please send your CV/Resume, as well as (the link to) your portfolio to: JohnHR@int-game.net.
      Kindest regards,
      John Shen
      HR Lead
      Starboard Games LLC
    • By INTwindwolf
      DESCRIPTION

Starboard Games LLC is looking for a highly professional, qualified, indie team developer to join our ambitious INT project.
      INT is an upcoming Science Fiction RPG that has been in continual development for several years. The team is in need of a Level Editor and Designer to join the team to work on the development of the game. This position does not require you to be a programmer or 3D artist.
      The INT team is a large, international team, focused on the development of a core demo which will showcase RPG elements and core features for fundraising and investors. We are a friendly and passionate bunch and hope you will apply soon to be part of our team. Please review the job requirements and responsibilities below.
      As the INT Level Editor and Designer you will be the individual on the team who received art assets and builds the level to Game Dev requirements. This position will require a knowledge of the Unity Game Engine, but not programming or art asset creation knowledge.
      Our levels have been mapped out and annotated with setup notes. While these setup notes and blueprints should be followed, as our Designer you can feel free to be creative in the setup process. When you place assets and design exterior and interior spaces you can be creative in how you build these spaces out.
      Responsibilities:
      1. Report to team Leads.
      2. Report to weekly Dev Meeting.
      3. Ability to think creatively and design portions of the level when required.
      REQUIREMENTS
      1. Knowledge of the Unity Game Engine
      2. Experience using Unity and importing/setting up levels in Unity 
      3. Experience optimizing levels in Unity 
      4. Ability to work under Team Leads
      5. Must be able to take feedback constructively 
      6. Must be able to interpret and decipher maps and notes to set up the level
      BENEFITS
      We offer revenue-sharing generated from crowd-funding to team members who maintain consistent communication on company projects and meet Starboard Games deadlines. Currently we are unable to offer wages or per-item payments. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
      Thank you for your time! We look forward to hearing from you!
      TO APPLY
      Please send your CV/Resume, as well as (the link to) your portfolio to: JohnHR@int-game.net.
      Kindest regards,
      John Shen
      HR Lead
      Starboard Games LLC
    • By xenohexx
      Hi, I'm an Unity programmer and I'm looking for an artist/group to make something togheter (2D), I was thinking of a Point and Click Adventure, a FMV game, an Adventure/RPG in a streaming 2D world or a Myst Like (panorama) game but I'm may be open to other suggestions although arcade/plataform games are not my thing, in general I love games in which the story plays an important part
      You can see some things I've done here:
      http://zenger.co.nf
      If you are interested please send me a mail (the mail is at the webpage)
      Thank you very much