• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PhillipHamlyn

Rendering Intersecting Premultiplied Transparent Planes

This topic is 2054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to render some low poly trees where the "leaves" are simulated by textured quads set at semi-random angles to each other. My problem is that the textured quads create visual effects where their transparency doesn't correctly depth sort - unsuprising given that they intersect often in 3D space to give an illusion of complexity, which probably gives the depth sorting an issue working out which is actually "in front" of each other . Each textured quad represents a "branch" full of leaves (rather than each leaf being a textured quad).

Can anyone give me a hint how to either deal with this problem, or perhaps point me at a resource describing how to do low-poly trees to get a different solution ?

Thanks
Phillip.

Advertisement
Depth peeling is another technique intended to solve this problem. Although I'd recommend you stick with Nik02's suggestions unless you're prepared to invest a lot of extra effort and processing power at the problem to achieve slightly more correct results.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!