Monitor Haze

Started by
17 comments, last by benryves 11 years, 4 months ago
I wanted to see if I could get some help with this. I have two 24" Asus Monitors connected to my computer. When I first got them I worked with the setting a little bit and got them about perfectly balanced with color, brightness, and contrast. Then one day I was messing with the settings once again to check something out and ever since then my main monitor has seemed to have a weird haze on it. Blacks are not blacks, more gray, and even the darker blues seem to have a little gray. When I compare this to my second monitor everything on my second monitor is perfect. Black is excellent and the colors seem very true.

I have double checked the monitor settings on both monitors and they match up perfectly. I have even tried to use the Monitor Calibration app on Windows 8 on this monitor and I can't quite seem to get it to look as good as my second monitor.

Anyone have any tips for me to try? I do not believe it is a monitor defect because it was perfect until that one time I was going through the settings to look at something. Ever since then something has been a little weird on it but can't seem to find it after double checking all the settings.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Is there a way of resetting to factory defaults? I assume you've already thought of this but in case you haven't it's probably worth looking for, because it would presumably either fix the problem or give you evidence that it's an actual hardware defect.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
It sounds like you might have turned on some kind of "movie mode" or altered the color temperature somehow. Are you using an analog or digital signal?
Maybe your wires are not plugged in properly, or one of them is dodgy?
My second monitor is actually connected just by VGA while my main monitor is the one that is connected via HDMI.

I have set my main monitor back to factory settings and then set it up exactly like my second monitor but it has seemed to do the same thing. I am going set them both back to factory default and see what I find.

I have tried every mode avaliable on the monitor and have checked the color temperatures. They both are the same it seems.
Have you tried switching cables? I.e. seeing if it's a hardware issue?

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Have you tried switching cables? I.e. seeing if it's a hardware issue?

I honestly don't know why I didn't just switch the cables out in the first place. I just tested that out after resetting them both to factory default settings and still seeing the issue.

Results: Now the 2nd Monitor has the haze effect and the Main monitor is perfect! So from this it seems as if it is the HDMI Cable! Either the HDMI Cable it self or maybe it is internal with the HDMI cable. I have another HDMI cable that I use to connect my laptop to my TV when my friend/roommate wants to watch something. I'll test that one out on the monitors and see what I find out.

PS: they are two different brand HDMI cables that I use too. So if that works it is possible that the brand HDMI cable I got just isn't good. Though the display was good before.

EDIT: Just tried my other HDMI Cable out. I used it on my second monitor (the one that was originally perfect) and while it did seem to help the blacks still seem to have a weird haze while compared to the monitor plugged in with VGA. I will mess with the settings a little bit to see if that will fix it, but if it doesn't then I do have one more HDMI cable that I could try out (though the one I am now using is a pretty high quality HDMI cable and the one laying around is a cheaper one). If that one doesn't work either then it looks like it could be the HDMI input on the laptop that could be having the issue internally.
Well I'm not sure if this is true or not generally. But in my recent experience, HDMI is crap. I get terrible image quality with HDMI and instead I prefer to use traditional PC connections or SVGA for TV.

In particular, I plugged my Asus 24" HDMI monitor (my main monitor when at my desktop) into my Alienware laptop using a good HDMI cable and the image quality was just terrible, I mean really terrible, gray, washed out, fuzzy. Completely unacceptable image quality for us PC users. So I had to dig up a spare VGA cable and that provided the normal 'good' quality image.

That experience made a real impression on me that HDMI is rubbish on PC's, and that PC manufacturers don't implement it at all correctly.

Well I'm not sure if this is true or not generally. But in my recent experience, HDMI is crap. I get terrible image quality with HDMI and instead I prefer to use traditional PC connections or SVGA for TV.

In particular, I plugged my Asus 24" HDMI monitor (my main monitor when at my desktop) into my Alienware laptop using a good HDMI cable and the image quality was just terrible, I mean really terrible, gray, washed out, fuzzy. Completely unacceptable image quality for us PC users. So I had to dig up a spare VGA cable and that provided the normal 'good' quality image.

That experience made a real impression on me that HDMI is rubbish on PC's, and that PC manufacturers don't implement it at all correctly.

Well it is just weird to me because if I plug by laptop into my 42" TV to let's say watch a movie or something the display seems perfect. It's like I am just using a very big monitor. Though my TV does have a setting I can change for when it is plugged into a PC. When I do that it automatically changes some things and makes it even better (though mostly it seems that just gets rid of any input lag I might notice before).

I changed some settings around on my monitor connected with this other HDMI cable and it is a lot better than it was with the other HDMI Cable. It is not 100% perfect match but if you were to just sit down and start working on this station then you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

So that may be true about HDMI on PC's (I haven't heard of any other stories like that though), I do only have one VGA port on this Laptop or I would just use the other VGA cord I do have.
Glad you got i figured out (more or less)!

I had an issue with HDMI as a monitor cable a while back, but only because for some reason my graphics card control panel thing had HDMI settings under some bizarre sub-menu that took forever to find.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement