Webpage Compatibility of GameDev

Started by
16 comments, last by SuperVGA 11 years, 4 months ago
Hello, everyone

I still have to use the compatibility tab of the Windows browser - as always - though I have gone through all the Internet Explorer 8 and 9 versions, yet now have IE 10 preview version and have to use it. Also, I have used Windows Vista and for the last couple years Windows 7 which makes no difference in the compatibility tab, though I have the latest Windows 7 and new Internet Explorer 10. When I go retro with old OS and IE, I still see the compatibility tab in the URL box.

Often the compatibility tab does not work to fix missing webpage elements or even makes it worse! I read somewhere that this could be a cache issue when this happens.

Can we have an upgrade somehow? GameDev wants to lead in game development forums, so I thought that the staff and technical assistants would appreciate this.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Advertisement

Can we have an upgrade somehow? GameDev wants to lead in game development forums,

Doesn't GameDev already lead in gamedev forums/sites?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

What isn't working or displays incorrectly when you don't use compatibility view?

I just switched to IE9 (on Windows 7) to take a look, and from a quick look everything appears to look and function correctly without using compatibility view. The areas of the site I checked were Classifieds, Marketplace, Journals, and the forums, and I've made both this and my previous reply from internet explorer without problems.

Are there particular areas of the site that aren't working properly for you, or is the whole thing broken? Is there anything unusual in your computer setup or local network, such as an upstream cache that could be interfering?

Is anyone else experiencing problems with Internet Explorer and having to use compatibility view?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Hi,

Compatibility symbol appears when I view any page of the website. When logging into the site, the social network feeds sometimes do not display but a box with an x is in their place, until I click on the compatibility sign. Sometimes most of the text editing tools do not appear until I click compatibility and sometimes I can not post more than one line in the reply text window after clicking it. I have never seen that other than this website.

Some websites which used to cause the compatibility symbol to appear no longer do after I had updated to the latest IE 9 and more recently the preview IE10. Pandora internet radio is an example of this. Some websites such as here still display the compatibility button even after the update and upgrade of IE.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Also, sometimes the score thru function in the text editor is activated though I did not click the button. When I do click the score-thru button in attempt to deactivate the function, the board does not give me my request. After that, I must refresh the page to get to normal type.

Another issue is that sometimes my typing is not accepted at all - no response.

In all these problems, the compatibility button never disappears from the browser in the URL box.

Clinton

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Hrm, interesting, I'm not seeing any of the problems you've described when using the site through Internet Explorer. I'll see if I can replicate the problem with any other machines over the next week.

Is there anyone else experiencing similar issues?

- Jason Astle-Adams

[s]Even at a WiFi location which has amazing fast internet connection speeds, I still get the compatibility sign at top. Sometimes my enter button does not work in this message window as right now. When I check my Profile, the Overview column on the left of the page does not appear until I click the compatibility.[/s]

[s]See the score thru? This happened after clicking compatibility tab for this message to you.[/s]

[s]Later today or tonight I will get my other laptop and see if there is a difference.[/s]

[s]Clinton[/s]

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I can't reproduce this either .. hrmm.
Recently I bought a new laptop. It has Windows 7 64-bit and IE 9 with all updates. I still get the compabitlity button appearing in the URL box, but so far no function issues, which I find very strange. I am using this new laptop in the same WiFi as the one of the original post and getting different results.

Clinton

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Did you encounter the problems on any PCs other than the one you were originally using?

I've tried a few different computers and still been unable to replicate the issues -- the compatibility icon always appears, but if I proceed to use the site without actually turning compatibility view on there aren't actually any display or functionality problems I can find.

The lack of similar reports and fact that we're unable to replicate it suggests there may possibly be some problem on your end.

If anyone else experiences similar issues please let us know so we can try to track it down, but for now this seems to be something specific to 3Dreamer's setup...

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement