iOS Game development on Windows- What are my options?

Started by
17 comments, last by HAM 11 years, 3 months ago
I know this question has been asked for a while but I wanted to know what are my options for native iOS game programming on windows? I would like to know if anyone use Macincloud, it is a Rental service where you rent a mac over the cloud.
Advertisement
iOS development is always done on a mac, not Windows. Apple never made their SDK available for Windows. I haven't used Macincloud, but I wouldn't suggest doing that. When you sign up to be an Apple Developer, you are required to sign your build before you can put that on a device or release it to the market. This key needs to be stored on your machine, and you would need to connect your iPhone to the actual physical machine before you can test your app. You can't do that over the cloud.
Ask around friends and stuff, hit ebay, just see can you trace down an older working mac (think it must be intel based though) for a decent price. You can then use it for iOS development and when not developing on iOS, well, second computer?

You can get the mac mini for a decent price second hand, you'll need a monitor and keyboard but its so small that it might make a nice HTPC as a secondary use.
Use marmalade SDK. You wont regret it. It has around 15 game ready modules from skeletal animation to font rendering, 3ds max exporters, tools to deploy to ios, android, blackberry and windows phone 8 + more and a great simulator.
Monogame also has the means to convert your code for iOS, program in C# using SHarpDX or XNA and port.

Monogame also has the means to convert your code for iOS, program in C# using SHarpDX or XNA and port.

You need the monotouch license at $399 per year plus a mac to use monogame on iOS
I don't believe there are any sanctioned methods to develop an iOS app for the app store where you can develop entirely on Windows.

There are many cross-platform engines and tools, but I believe that ultimately each of these needs to go through Apple's official utilities on their hardware.
I'm yet to see one that can do it outside of OSX, even marmalade I believe needs to be running on OSX in order to get the iOS button, same for unity3d.

There are ways of developing for jailbroken iphones on windows but then your losing the app store and cutting off your market substantially plus you run the risk of bricking your phone.

Random vote down for stating a fact, wtf...
This was about two years ago so I do not remember what I did or what I had to do, but back when I was a paid developer I read about Marmalde so I wanted to see i it was possible to get an app running on a real device using only Windows. Their was some tutorial back then that talked you through it. Again I don't remember it though I think it was really a "hack" that allowed it. Because of this I never did use Marmalade on Windows to develop an App or officially send it into Apple.

I would look into a used Mac Mini and just use it as your development machine for iOS. Plus I always feel it could be good to have another computer around like that as maybe you will want to create something that runs on both Windows and Mac. Be a good test machine.
Can you use old powerPC based macs? looking on ebay you can get one for under £100.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement