iOS Game development on Windows- What are my options?

Started by
17 comments, last by HAM 11 years, 3 months ago

Can you use old powerPC based macs? looking on ebay you can get one for under £100.
That ability was removed in iPhone SDK 3.0.
Advertisement
Yeah, I just checked it out, apparently it now requires an intel mac (although you can get early intel mac mini's cheap aswell).
hey does it matter if I have snow leopard machine? or do I just need an Intel Mac OS X 10.6 ?
If you do go the cheap-used-mac-on-ebay route, make sure it will run Snow Leopard first. That's the current minimum OSX requirement.

snow leopard machine? or do I just need an Intel Mac OS X 10.6 ?

Snow leopard IS OSX 10.6
Apple give all OSX versions a numeric version (10.6 in this case) and then a "nickname" which will always be the name of a large cat, 10.4 for example was tiger I believe.
I was in your predicament. Spent all yesterday getting a Hackintosh up and running, works great with Unity. Also, for development you can use Jailcoder to 'sign' your apps so you don't need to pay the $99 Apple Developer license until you're ready to release.

Actually getting the Hackintosh up and running was a pain in the backside, but it's do-able if you have fairly common bits in your PC (and an intel processor) - saved money on buying a Mac anyways!
A theoretically plausible method although I think discussing jailbreaks and breaking of EULA's are against the forum rules.

Anyway, this is purely an example I found, not a recommendation to buy this particular one.
First result for intel mac on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-Mini-Desktop-2GB-INTEL-CORE-2-DUO-1-83GHZ-A1176-/140896963796?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item20ce1d0cd4
2gb RAM, 1.83ghz dual core intel CPU, 80gb HDD and running OSX 10.7 lion all for £150 + postage. Its not exactly powerful but the mini is very neat and compact, paired up with a wireless keyboard they make excellent HTPC's as they are very quiet, plus you can get them cheap on ebay. Certainly more than powerful enough for deploying iOS apps.

That particular bid ends very soon and I don't know what country you are in but it shows very nicely what you can find on ebay. There are quite a few listed actually.

Legally, you can use Marmalade and develop the entire application on Windows but to actually

1. deploy to a device
  2. publish to the app store

you need to pay to become a licensed Apple developer and own or at least have access to a Mac.

The only exception I know to this is that there's a commercial game framework called Dragon Fire SDK that claims to let you do everything from Windows by, I believe, basically building and deploying your game for you. I have no idea if the Dragon Fire thing actually works, how good their framework is, etc. but my gut feeling is that it looks a little shoddy.

So, you know, the bottom line is that if you want to write to iOS buy a Mac Mini and a KVM switch. None of these crossplatform frameworks are perfect. You will need to do lots of testing on a real device so even the do-everything-on-windows-with-marmalade-and-get-your-friend-with-a-mac-to-deploy-for-you-when-you're-done option isn't really realistic in my opinion. Maybe for a very basic game.

To eventually deploy the app you are probably going to need a Mac. But for development there are several options. Marmalade, unity, UDK, etc.. You can develop on windows with all those.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement