Rain Rendering

Started by
1 comment, last by Martin Perry 11 years, 4 months ago
Hi,

I have been looking for ways, how to render rain. Basicly, they are 2 main approaches. First, using full screen quad, from Tatarchuk (ShaderX5), and the second using particles. For that, I found http://developer.download.nvidia.com/SDK/10/direct3d/Source/rain/doc/RainSDKWhitePaper.pdf. The second paper, from NVidia, looks better for me.
Can anyone tell me, which is better ? In the Tatarchuk approach, isn' t there problem, if camera is facing directly UP ?

Thanks
Advertisement
I've never enjoyed the fullscreen approach, it's basically there if you're extremely performance limited. If you've got milliseconds to spare there's no reason to not go with a full particle approach.

Though, specifically for the Nvidia paper, the lighting and etc. via a texture array seems slightly hacky, but still it's going to look much better than the screenspace solution.
Ok.. thanks... I started to code NVidia approach.... I will be solving "hacky" lighting through deferred rendering, becuase I am goin to render rain as postprocess.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement