Can you program websites, too?

Started by
41 comments, last by Chad Smith 11 years, 4 months ago
I just got "HTML The Easy Way" the other day and took a break from c++ today. I downloaded coffee cup HTML editor this morning and spent all dayading the book and programming HTML. I Must honestly say, I have a higher respect for web developers now. It's a completely different way of programmig, and I really enjoyed today. The book was great. Quick, and t the point. It gave me a firm knowledge of Basic HTML, and made close to the end wen it showed a JavaScript example to describe the power of the language I got "JavaScript: Just The Basics". I believe after reading through that book and designing some good looking websites, I'll probably start doingfeelance websites as well as software.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Advertisement
Is this a question? The way you worded your post, sounds like a statement.
To answer the title of your post, yes you can "program web sites" .

I would recommend learning PHP & SQL ( in addition to what you have already learned) to give your site(s) more sophistication. HERE is a good tutorial series.
What's very nice about PhP - it's easy to learn, and there are FREE Apache servers you can get to host your projects.
WAMP ( For Windows )
MAMP ( For Mac )
LAMP ( For Linux )

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I hate to be honest, but good luck doing freelance work.

The field is so big, that you'll find yourself competing with guys that have a massive portfolio, 10+ years of knowledge, and are willing to do the job for peanuts.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

I would recommend learning PHP & SQL ( in addition to what you have already learned) to give your site(s) more sophistication. HERE is a good tutorial series.
What's very nice about PhP - it's easy to learn, and there are FREE Apache servers you can get to host your projects.
WAMP ( For Windows )
MAMP ( For Mac )
LAMP ( For Linux )

At this point I would recommend staying far away from PHP. The cons of the language and the community far outweigh the supposed benefits of the platform (free and easy to learn) when the same can be said of Node.JS, Ruby, Python, and even C# with ASP.NET.

http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
I do not agree with that story you linked to.
The guy who wrote it is a huge C fan ( it shows badly ) - his only complaint is the language syntax.

Second off, there is nothing that can replace the usefulness of PhP for web site design, unless you like coding action script. ( HTML 5 is not up for debate, since there is no standards set, and most web browsers do NOT fully support it yet ) .

Third - a lot of languages have dead communities - why is is necessary to have an active community to be able to code?

Forth - the language syntax is a lot like Python, however PhP is better adapted for web applications. The guy in the story hates interpreted languages because they do not have the same syntax as C.

Fifth - I would love to see his explanation of why he wants everyone to code webpages in C .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I do not agree with that story you linked to.
The guy who wrote it is a huge C fan ( it shows badly ) - his only complaint is the language syntax.

Second off, there is nothing that can replace the usefulness of PhP for web site design, unless you like coding action script. ( HTML 5 is not up for debate, since there is no standards set, and most web browsers do NOT fully support it yet ) .

Third - a lot of languages have dead communities - why is is necessary to have an active community to be able to code?

Forth - the language syntax is a lot like Python, however PhP is better adapted for web applications. The guy in the story hates interpreted languages because they do not have the same syntax as C.

Fifth - I would love to see his explanation of why he wants everyone to code webpages in C .

Based on this post it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about regarding web development and you should not be recommending things to other inexperienced web developers.

[quote name='Shippou' timestamp='1355048405' post='5008757']

WAMP ( For Windows )
MAMP ( For Mac )
LAMP ( For Linux )

At this point I would recommend staying far away from PHP. The cons of the language and the community far outweigh the supposed benefits of the platform (free and easy to learn) when the same can be said of Node.JS, Ruby, Python, and even C# with ASP.NET.

http://me.veekun.com...-of-bad-design/
[/quote]

C# with ASP.NET is still a bit more expensive hosting wise though, (Mono doesn't support the latest version which makes it kinda shitty). but yeah, PHP is awful, it was great when the only competition was classic ASP but now... no thanks. Python is far nicer.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

C# with ASP.NET is still a bit more expensive hosting wise though, (Mono doesn't support the latest version which makes it kinda shitty). but yeah, PHP is awful, it was great when the only competition was classic ASP but now... no thanks. Python is far nicer.

Up to 10 Azure Websites are free. You can host PHP, Node.JS or ASP.NET websites.

http://www.windowsaz...ing/calculator/
Run up to 10 Web Sites per sub-region for free in a multi-tenant environment. Seamlessly upgrade to a paid Shared multi-tenant or Reserved instance model as your traffic grows.[/quote]

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1355090180' post='5008890']

Up to 10 Azure Websites are free. You can host PHP, Node.JS or ASP.NET websites.

http://www.windowsaz...ing/calculator/
Run up to 10 Web Sites per sub-region for free in a multi-tenant environment. Seamlessly upgrade to a paid Shared multi-tenant or Reserved instance model as your traffic grows.[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh, Microsofts cloud thingy, i need to update myself a bit it seems :)
Allthough most decent hosts still charge extra for Windows servers and the azure cloud starts costing as soon as you add a database (which you probably need if you're using any form of serverside scripts)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Oh, Microsofts cloud thingy, i need to update myself a bit it seems smile.png
Allthough most hosts still charge extra for Windows servers and the azure cloud starts costing as soon as you add a database (which you probably need if you're using any form of serverside scripts)

Maybe. This weekend I'm at a hackathon and I'm deploying to Azure Websites and using MongoLab for the database.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement