Which programming language should I teach myself?

Started by
14 comments, last by AlanWu 11 years, 4 months ago
I have spent a few weeks learning c++ and have written a few long programs but everyone tells me c++ is useless. Is that true? If so what is the best language to start with? I plan to try and create my own games once I settle on a language.
Advertisement
I don't think C++ is useless. I think its still worthwhile to learn C++ even for game development. It might not be the most productive language to learn for gamedev though.
Ive written a bunch of fully functional console programs with c++ but Im not really sure where to go from there to start creating graphical programs. Im still very new at all this
Try http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/1.6/ for 2D graphics, high level functioning event handlers, audio, image manipulation, etc. Works well with C++. For the very basic, just figure out how to make pong.

Also, there is no best language. Think of programming languages as vehicles. There is no one good vehicle, they are all based on the individuals preference. Each language has their own unique functionality. C++ is known to be much faster in some aspect of game development when dealing with complex algorithms, number crunching, large amounts of collision detection needed as well.

everyone tells me c++ is useless.

ask these "everyones" what OS they have and yep, it's written in C/C++. Ask them which browser they use, yep, C/C++ again. Ask them if they have played any big game lately... you've guessed, C/C++. Ask them what program they use day to day on their PC/Phones/Tablet.. here we go again, C/C++.. and if they tell you they use Java,.NET, Python, Javascript, you name it.. ask them how the jvm, the clr and the other runtime are coded with? right.. C/C++ .
As Herb Sutter puts it: "the world is built on C/C++".

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

nvm
You'll find C# or Java much easier to learn and use. I personally believe that these languages are ideal for independent game-development and that C++ is overkill. I remember when I first opened up a c++ IDE and tried to use Direct X, it was a real pain, then I discovered C# and XNA and I was blown away with what it could do. Managed languages are so much better for a whole range of applications including small to medium size games. IMO.
So the guy should jump right into object-oriented programming?

I started with Java, and had no idea what I was doing, so I spent awhile with Python, then came back to Java.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

I use C#. It's enough for most purposes unless you want to write the really low-level stuff, but I can't see why you would want to do that under most scenarios unless you're building a graphics engine from scratch. But that seems to be overkill to me when there are good libraries out there for that purpose; libraries that allow me to concentrate on writing a game, and not reinventing the wheel.

C# with MonoGame give you a good starting point, and it gives you a pretty good base of platforms as well.
---
"Why do you knuckle-draggers insist on doing things the hard way... very well. " - Mr Burke
Nothing is wrong with C++. It was my first language and I loved it. Seeing as you already started I see no reason why you shouldn't continue
If so what is the best language to start with?[/quote]
In my opinion that would be C++.

SDL is a great library for getting started with 2d game development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement