• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fip

OpenGL
dramatic fps drop when using transparent texture

39 posts in this topic

Hi all,
it's my first post here and i plan to be more participative from now on.
Ill start with a problem i have in one application i did in visual C+GLUT+OpenGL.
As the title states, i have a dramatic drop in frames per second when using a single BMP texture with transparency and i think maybe the problem is that im not using the texture mapping correctly.

Without the displaying of transparent texture i get 50 frames per second which for me is okay. You can notice that the grass has a texture and also the sharks have dotted texture as skin.
[attachment=12710:fps 50.jpg]

In the following picture i draw the water walls i want without transparency i get 30 frames per second (20 fps drop) i dont understand why but anyway 30 fps seems to me a good framerate.
[attachment=12709:fps 30.jpg]

Now in this third image i add transparency for the water walls you can see the drop to 9 fps!!! And this i can't understand as i know dealing with transparency is one of the hardest things for GPUs but common, im using only one texture in 4 quads!!!!!
[attachment=12708:fps 9.jpg]

Here is the code i use:

[source lang="cpp"]void PintarCortinillasAgua(TcajaHueca *recinto, Tcontrol * control)
{
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glPushMatrix();

if(control->texturas == VERDADERO)
{
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glEnable(GL_BLEND);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex_agua.tex_Id);

glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA,GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
glBegin(GL_POLYGON);//plano Zmax
glColor4f(1,1,1,0.4f);
glTexCoord2f( 0, 0 + offset_agua);
glVertex3f(recinto->min[X], recinto->min[Y], recinto->max[Z]);
glTexCoord2f( 5, 0 + offset_agua);
glVertex3f(recinto->max[X], recinto->min[Y], recinto->max[Z]);
glTexCoord2f( 5, 2 + offset_agua);
glVertex3f(recinto->max[X], recinto->max[Y], recinto->max[Z]);
glTexCoord2f( 0, 2 + offset_agua);
glVertex3f(recinto->min[X], recinto->max[Y], recinto->max[Z]);
glEnd();
glBegin(GL_POLYGON); //plano Xmax
glColor4f(1,1,1,0.4f);
glVertex3f(recinto->max[X], recinto->min[Y], recinto->min[Z]);
glVertex3f(recinto->max[X], recinto->min[Y], recinto->max[Z]);
glVertex3f(recinto->max[X], recinto->max[Y], recinto->max[Z]);
glVertex3f(recinto->max[X], recinto->max[Y], recinto->min[Z]);
glEnd();
glBegin(GL_POLYGON); //plano Zmin
glColor4f(1,1,1,0.4f);
glVertex3f(recinto->min[X], recinto->min[Y], recinto->min[Z]);
glVertex3f(recinto->max[X], recinto->min[Y], recinto->min[Z]);
glVertex3f(recinto->max[X], recinto->max[Y], recinto->min[Z]);
glVertex3f(recinto->min[X], recinto->max[Y], recinto->min[Z]);
glEnd();
glBegin(GL_POLYGON); //plano Xmin
glColor4f(1,1,1,0.4f);
glVertex3f(recinto->min[X], recinto->min[Y], recinto->min[Z]);
glVertex3f(recinto->min[X], recinto->min[Y], recinto->max[Z]);
glVertex3f(recinto->min[X], recinto->max[Y], recinto->max[Z]);
glVertex3f(recinto->min[X], recinto->max[Y], recinto->min[Z]);
glEnd();
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glDisable(GL_BLEND);
}
glPopMatrix();
}[/source]
The texture is a BMP image in REPEAT mode with blending set with glColor4f(1,1,1,0.4f).
Also i animate the texture mapping with an offset in the y direction to simulate falling water but this does not affect the fps drop.

What am i doing wrong??

Okay i can say that i forgot to disable the GL_DEPTH_TEST and enable it at the end
[source lang="java"]glEnable(GL_BLEND)
glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);

(draw stuff)

glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
glDisable(GL_BLEND);[/source]

I have ordered the drawing of the walls, first the 2 walls from the back and at last the 2 walls from the front, and apparently it works.....
[attachment=12717:fps 26 front.jpg]

... if it wasnt by the fact that i can rotate around Y axis and this is what happens:
[attachment=12716:fps 25 rotation problem.jpg]

now my back walls when i rotate around vertical Y axis the grass appears because it is rendered AFTER the back walls.

1. - What can i do to solve this problem? I can't find the correct draw order.
2. - If i dont disable GL_DEPTH_TESTING i get the correct behaviour but i get 9 fps!!!!
3. - I dont have anymore 9 fps but 25fps, why is this if i had at the beginning without the walls 55 fps? Why such difference in performance? Edited by fip

What sort of graphics card are you using, and what sort of resolution and anti-aliasing setup is there?

The only explanation I can think of is that you're woefully fill rate bound, but I can't see how this scene could possibly cause that situation on a desktop graphics card (maybe an iPad1, but not anything else).

Plus a quick stupid question - you're not accidentally rendering the transparent quads multiple times are you?

Your fps will always be garbage in intermediate mode, try using a draw list or vbo.

In addition to the above, you shouldn't measure performance in FPS - measure in milliseconds or microseconds. FPS measurements can be deceptive; an increase from 55 FPS to 60 FPS (a gain of 1.5 ms a frame) is not the same increase as from 60 FPS to 65 FPS (a gain of 1.2 ms a frame).

Can you post the output of glGetString(GL_VENDOR) ? If it is Microsoft, then you are running on some kind of emulation and need to install the drivers for your graphics card.

Why are you using GL_POLYGON? you seem to be using just quads replacing GL_POLYGON with GL_QUADS should be faster. Also get rid of those extra glbegin/glend's in between each face.

[quote name='Ohforf sake' timestamp='1355174772' post='5009202']
Can you post the output of glGetString(GL_VENDOR) ? If it is Microsoft, then you are running on some kind of emulation and need to install the drivers for your graphics card.
[/quote]

Ahh that's it!! i got "microsoft corporation" for GL_VENDOR and "GDI generic" for GL_RENDERER query!!.

Now, im running the app in a laptop Dell XPS17 with integrated graphics card and an Nvidia GT555m card, maybe the problem is im not choosing the right graphics card for running the app.

Now how the heck i do that?

[quote name='ic0de' timestamp='1355199754' post='5009310']
Why are you using GL_POLYGON? you seem to be using just quads replacing GL_POLYGON with GL_QUADS should be faster. Also get rid of those extra glbegin/glend's in between each face.
[/quote]
Yeah you re right ill change it, thanks.[quote name='Kaze' timestamp='1355167357' post='5009164']
Your fps will always be garbage in intermediate mode, try using a draw list or vbo.
[/quote]

Display lists seem interesting ill dig into that. This was my first attempt messing with OpenGL

[quote name='Kaze' timestamp='1355167357' post='5009164']
[/quote]

No no no no no.

Immediate mode is slower than the other methods for sure, but it's not [i]that[/i] much slower. You don't get such dramatic framerate drops from it, particularly with such a simple scene (as polycounts [i]really[/i] ramp up it's expected, but with basic scenes it's performance is roughly equivalent to the others). Remember - Quake used immediate mode and didn't suffer overly much from it.

Please don't recommend VBOs (or display lists) as a "solution" every time you see immediate mode code - the real cause of the problem may very well be elsewhere (as, indeed, it was in this case).

I'm [i]not[/i] advising that it's OK to use immediate mode here, by the way; I [i]am[/i] recommending that you should properly diagnose the problem before recommending a solution, rather than jump to conclusions.

[quote name='fip' timestamp='1355229220' post='5009392']
Now how the heck i do that?
[/quote]

You should have an option to select the GPU to use in your NVIDIA control panel. It's also worthwhile downloading updated drivers for your machine as the absence of a proper OpenGL driver for the integrated card suggests that you're on an OEM driver; visit http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us to get a proper updated driver. Edited by mhagain

[quote name='mhagain' timestamp='1355234510' post='5009420']
[quote name='Kaze' timestamp='1355167357' post='5009164']
[/quote]

No no no no no.

Immediate mode is slower than the other methods for sure, but it's not [i]that[/i] much slower. You don't get such dramatic framerate drops from it, particularly with such a simple scene (as polycounts [i]really[/i] ramp up it's expected, but with basic scenes it's performance is roughly equivalent to the others). Remember - Quake used immediate mode and didn't suffer overly much from it.

Please don't recommend VBOs (or display lists) as a "solution" every time you see immediate mode code - the real cause of the problem may very well be elsewhere (as, indeed, it was in this case).

I'm [i]not[/i] advising that it's OK to use immediate mode here, by the way; I [i]am[/i] recommending that you should properly diagnose the problem before recommending a solution, rather than jump to conclusions.
[/quote]

Graphics card makers only optimize their hardware for vbo's these days so its not unreasonable to assume legacy functions can cause all sorts of performance problems. Edited by Kaze

[quote name='fip' timestamp='1355229220' post='5009392']Ahh that's it!! i got "microsoft corporation" for GL_VENDOR and "GDI generic" for GL_RENDERER query!!.

Now, im running the app in a laptop Dell XPS17 with integrated graphics card and an Nvidia GT555m card, maybe the problem is im not choosing the right graphics card for running the app.<br /><br />Now how the heck i do that?[/quote][quote name='mhagain' timestamp='1355234510' post='5009420']It's also worthwhile downloading updated drivers for your machine[/quote]
^ This.

I encountered the same problem when I moved to Windows 8. Apparently Windows 8 thinks its half-baked display driver is better than the drivers provided by my graphic card's manufacturer...

Hi, i have the nvidia control panel where i can select the .exe file related to whichever game i want to play and select which of the two video cards runs the game.

For game and other applications like adobe creative suite it works and it's the nvidia graphics card taking charge of.

But ive tried setting my application *.exe file in the list, and still wont run in the nvidia gt555m!! my Nvidia notifier says there are no programs running with the nvidia gpu plus the console spits out again GDI GENERIC plus no changes in fps of the app so it's definitely not working for me this way.

I've searched the internet but all i have found is people not knowing how to put the *.exe from a game in the list of the nvidia control panel, nothing about any programmer trying to run his own exe file in the nvidia gpu.......

Any ideas? Edited by fip

[quote name='Kaze' timestamp='1355246060' post='5009455']
Graphics card makers only optimize their hardware for vbo's these days so its not unreasonable to assume legacy functions can cause all sorts of performance problems.
[/quote]

Quake still runs well on a modern GPU (which is likely to be emulating immediate mode in the driver by filling a dynamic VBO behind the scenes) - certainly much faster than the single-digit framerates that the OP is reporting, and with much more complex geometry, translucency, etc. Yes, you're right that it's not unreasonable to make that assumption, but when actual hard data invalidates the assumption (for this class of simple scene) then you do need to reconsider.

Ive downloaded lesson01 from nehe.gamedev.net opengl tutorials, the one that simply creates a window with rendering context and have noticed that the exe is being run by the nvidia gpu!!!

So, i guess it has to do either with the way glut manages window either with any initialization parameter im not setting properly..........

What do you guys think?

[quote name='fip' timestamp='1355249103' post='5009478']
So, i guess it has to do either with the way glut manages window either with any initialization parameter im not setting properly..........
[/quote]

Definitely possible. One unfortunate thing that many GLUT examples I've seen do is create a single-buffered context, and it may be the case that your NVIDIA GPU/driver is unable to give you a hardware accelerated one. If that sounds like something you may have in your code then switching it to double-buffered (using GLUT_DOUBLE during startup and adding a call to glutSwapBuffers at the end of each frame) may be all that you need. Also worth checking the bit depth you request for your colour and depth buffers (not sure if you can control this via GLUT though).

I have double buffer specified in glut.

Ive spent some time porting my application to use SDL + OPENGL for window managing and input, and again i dont know why my gpu is not the GL_RENDERER i have again "GDI generic" !!!!

I have missed to try just creating a window in SDL and see if it renders on the gpu, ill try this tomorrow.

Maybe im using some opengl command that causes the software rendering?

is it possible to post your window creation code, pretty much all the code upto when you check the vendor, and hopefully we can point out the problem.

Hi,
Ive tested this SDL simple example and it doesnt run in my gpu neither.... although it initializes the video mode with SDL_OPENGL

example from [url="http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson36/index.php"]http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson36/index.php[/url]

This is driving me nuts.............

I'll post my glut+Opengl window creation & initialization code soon, now i have to leave.

[source lang="cpp"]/*This source code copyrighted by Lazy Foo' Productions (2004-2012)
and may not be redistributed without written permission.*/

//The headers
#include "SDL.h"
#include "SDL_opengl.h"

//Screen attributes
const int SCREEN_WIDTH = 640;
const int SCREEN_HEIGHT = 480;
const int SCREEN_BPP = 32;

//The frame rate
const int FRAMES_PER_SECOND = 60;

//Event handler
SDL_Event event;

//Rendering flag
bool renderQuad = true;

//The timer
class Timer
{
private:
//The clock time when the timer started
int startTicks;

//The ticks stored when the timer was paused
int pausedTicks;

//The timer status
bool paused;
bool started;

public:
//Initializes variables
Timer();

//The various clock actions
void start();
void stop();
void pause();
void unpause();

//Gets the timer's time
int get_ticks();

//Checks the status of the timer
bool is_started();
bool is_paused();
};

bool initGL()
{
//Initialize Projection Matrix
glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );
glLoadIdentity();

//Initialize Modelview Matrix
glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );
glLoadIdentity();

//Initialize clear color
glClearColor( 0.f, 0.f, 0.f, 1.f );

//Check for error
GLenum error = glGetError();
if( error != GL_NO_ERROR )
{
printf( "Error initializing OpenGL! %s\n", gluErrorString( error ) );
return false;
}

return true;
}

bool init()
{
//Initialize SDL
if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING ) < 0 )
{
return false;
}

//Create Window
if( SDL_SetVideoMode( SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_BPP, SDL_OPENGL ) == NULL )
{
return false;
}

//Enable unicode
SDL_EnableUNICODE( SDL_TRUE );

//Initialize OpenGL
if( initGL() == false )
{
return false;
}

//Set caption
SDL_WM_SetCaption( "OpenGL Test", NULL );

return true;
}

void handleKeys( unsigned char key, int x, int y )
{
//Toggle quad
if( key == 'q' )
{
renderQuad = !renderQuad;
}
}

void update()
{

}

void render()
{
//Clear color buffer
glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT );

//Render quad
if( renderQuad == true )
{
glBegin( GL_QUADS );
glVertex2f( -0.5f, -0.5f );
glVertex2f( 0.5f, -0.5f );
glVertex2f( 0.5f, 0.5f );
glVertex2f( -0.5f, 0.5f );
glEnd();
}

//Update screen
SDL_GL_SwapBuffers();
}

void clean_up()
{
//Quit SDL
SDL_Quit();
}

Timer::Timer()
{
//Initialize the variables
startTicks = 0;
pausedTicks = 0;
paused = false;
started = false;
}

void Timer::start()
{
//Start the timer
started = true;

//Unpause the timer
paused = false;

//Get the current clock time
startTicks = SDL_GetTicks();
}

void Timer::stop()
{
//Stop the timer
started = false;

//Unpause the timer
paused = false;
}

void Timer::pause()
{
//If the timer is running and isn't already paused
if( ( started == true ) &amp;&amp; ( paused == false ) )
{
//Pause the timer
paused = true;

//Calculate the paused ticks
pausedTicks = SDL_GetTicks() - startTicks;
}
}

void Timer::unpause()
{
//If the timer is paused
if( paused == true )
{
//Unpause the timer
paused = false;

//Reset the starting ticks
startTicks = SDL_GetTicks() - pausedTicks;

//Reset the paused ticks
pausedTicks = 0;
}
}

int Timer::get_ticks()
{
//If the timer is running
if( started == true )
{
//If the timer is paused
if( paused == true )
{
//Return the number of ticks when the timer was paused
return pausedTicks;
}
else
{
//Return the current time minus the start time
return SDL_GetTicks() - startTicks;
}
}

//If the timer isn't running
return 0;
}

bool Timer::is_started()
{
return started;
}

bool Timer::is_paused()
{
return paused;
}

int main( int argc, char *argv[] )
{
//Quit flag
bool quit = false;

//Initialize
if( init() == false )
{
return 1;
}

//The frame rate regulator
Timer fps;

//Wait for user exit
while( quit == false )
{
//Start the frame timer
fps.start();

//While there are events to handle
while( SDL_PollEvent( &amp;event ) )
{
if( event.type == SDL_QUIT )
{
quit = true;
}
else if( event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN )
{
//Handle keypress with current mouse position
int x = 0, y = 0;
SDL_GetMouseState( &amp;x, &amp;y );
handleKeys( event.key.keysym.unicode, x, y );
}
}

//Run frame update
update();

//Render frame
render();

//Cap the frame rate
if( fps.get_ticks() < 1000 / FRAMES_PER_SECOND )
{
SDL_Delay( ( 1000 / FRAMES_PER_SECOND ) - fps.get_ticks() );
}
}

//Clean up
clean_up();

return 0;
}
[/source] Edited by fip

OK, one problem here is that you're using SDL_Delay to control framerate. That's internally implemented as a Sleep call and Sleep is not a good way of controlling framerate (it only specifies a minimum time to sleep for; actual time may be longer, and this will be true even if using a high resolution timer).

That's not going to fix your specific problem with not getting a hardware accelerated GL context, but it is some cleaning up you need to do.

For your GL context problem, I'll have a look over your code later on today and see if I can spot anything (assuming someone else doesn't come up with the solution before then).

Of course there is a driver problem there because with a scene light that you should run into the 300fps ballpark easily.
Having said that, blending operations will always have a big impact on the scene because simply, they do more work, they have to read the current pixel color, apply the blending function and then write back the colour.

Hi again,

more testing:
- ive added
[source lang="cpp"]SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_ACCELERATED_VISUAL, 1);[/source]
does not have any effect. I think it should be enough with SDL_OPENGL but just in case.

- i ve run the executable on a notebook with only one GPU and i keep getting the "GDI generic" for GL_RENDERER.
So maybe it's not an issue of having dual gpus, furthermore in case it was using the intel HD integrated graphics card i should be getting "Intel" as the GL_VENDOR right?

[quote name='mhagain' timestamp='1355395381' post='5010151']
OK, one problem here is that you're using SDL_Delay to control framerate.
[/quote]

It's just some code i grabbed from the internet. I dont care right now about this.

[quote name='mhagain' timestamp='1355395381' post='5010151']
For your GL context problem, I'll have a look over your code later on today and see if I can spot anything (assuming someone else doesn't come up with the solution before then).
[/quote]
Thanks for your time, this is the problem i want to fix!!

I tested this other SDL+Opengl code and still get GDI generic for GL_RENDERER.

[source lang="cpp"]#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <math.h>

#include "SDL.h"

#ifdef __MACOS__
#define HAVE_OPENGL
#endif

#define HAVE_OPENGL

#ifdef HAVE_OPENGL

#include "SDL_opengl.h"

/* Undefine this if you want a flat cube instead of a rainbow cube */
#define SHADED_CUBE

/* Define this to be the name of the logo image to use with -logo */
#define LOGO_FILE "icon.bmp"

/* The SDL_OPENGLBLIT interface is deprecated.
The code is still available for benchmark purposes though.
*/

static SDL_bool USE_DEPRECATED_OPENGLBLIT = SDL_FALSE;

static SDL_Surface *global_image = NULL;
static GLuint global_texture = 0;
static GLuint cursor_texture = 0;

/**********************************************************************/

void HotKey_ToggleFullScreen(void)
{
SDL_Surface *screen;

screen = SDL_GetVideoSurface();
if ( SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen(screen) ) {
printf("Toggled fullscreen mode - now %s\n",
(screen->flags&SDL_FULLSCREEN) ? "fullscreen" : "windowed");
} else {
printf("Unable to toggle fullscreen mode\n");
}
}

void HotKey_ToggleGrab(void)
{
SDL_GrabMode mode;

printf("Ctrl-G: toggling input grab!\n");
mode = SDL_WM_GrabInput(SDL_GRAB_QUERY);
if ( mode == SDL_GRAB_ON ) {
printf("Grab was on\n");
} else {
printf("Grab was off\n");
}
mode = SDL_WM_GrabInput(!mode);
if ( mode == SDL_GRAB_ON ) {
printf("Grab is now on\n");
} else {
printf("Grab is now off\n");
}
}

void HotKey_Iconify(void)
{
printf("Ctrl-Z: iconifying window!\n");
SDL_WM_IconifyWindow();
}

int HandleEvent(SDL_Event *event)
{
int done;

done = 0;
switch( event->type ) {
case SDL_ACTIVEEVENT:
/* See what happened */
printf( "app %s ", event->active.gain ? "gained" : "lost" );
if ( event->active.state & SDL_APPACTIVE ) {
printf( "active " );
} else if ( event->active.state & SDL_APPMOUSEFOCUS ) {
printf( "mouse " );
} else if ( event->active.state & SDL_APPINPUTFOCUS ) {
printf( "input " );
}
printf( "focus\n" );
break;

case SDL_KEYDOWN:
if ( event->key.keysym.sym == SDLK_ESCAPE ) {
done = 1;
}
if ( (event->key.keysym.sym == SDLK_g) &&
(event->key.keysym.mod & KMOD_CTRL) ) {
HotKey_ToggleGrab();
}
if ( (event->key.keysym.sym == SDLK_z) &&
(event->key.keysym.mod & KMOD_CTRL) ) {
HotKey_Iconify();
}
if ( (event->key.keysym.sym == SDLK_RETURN) &&
(event->key.keysym.mod & KMOD_ALT) ) {
HotKey_ToggleFullScreen();
}
printf("key '%s' pressed\n",
SDL_GetKeyName(event->key.keysym.sym));
break;
case SDL_QUIT:
done = 1;
break;
}
return(done);
}

void SDL_GL_Enter2DMode()
{
SDL_Surface *screen = SDL_GetVideoSurface();

/* Note, there may be other things you need to change,
depending on how you have your OpenGL state set up.
*/
glPushAttrib(GL_ENABLE_BIT);
glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE);
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

/* This allows alpha blending of 2D textures with the scene */
glEnable(GL_BLEND);
glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);

glViewport(0, 0, screen->w, screen->h);

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glPushMatrix();
glLoadIdentity();

glOrtho(0.0, (GLdouble)screen->w, (GLdouble)screen->h, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0);

glPushMatrix();
glLoadIdentity();

glTexEnvf(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_DECAL);
}

void SDL_GL_Leave2DMode()
{
glPopMatrix();

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glPopMatrix();

glPopAttrib();
}

/* Quick utility function for texture creation */
static int power_of_two(int input)
{
int value = 1;

while ( value < input ) {
value <<= 1;
}
return value;
}

GLuint SDL_GL_LoadTexture(SDL_Surface *surface, GLfloat *texcoord)
{
GLuint texture;
int w, h;
SDL_Surface *image;
SDL_Rect area;
Uint32 saved_flags;
Uint8 saved_alpha;

/* Use the surface width and height expanded to powers of 2 */
w = power_of_two(surface->w);
h = power_of_two(surface->h);
texcoord[0] = 0.0f; /* Min X */
texcoord[1] = 0.0f; /* Min Y */
texcoord[2] = (GLfloat)surface->w / w; /* Max X */
texcoord[3] = (GLfloat)surface->h / h; /* Max Y */

image = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(
SDL_SWSURFACE,
w, h,
#if SDL_BYTEORDER == SDL_LIL_ENDIAN /* OpenGL RGBA masks */
0x000000FF,
0x0000FF00,
0x00FF0000,
0xFF000000
#else
0xFF000000,
0x00FF0000,
0x0000FF00,
0x000000FF
#endif
);
if ( image == NULL ) {
return 0;
}

/* Save the alpha blending attributes */
saved_flags = surface->flags&(SDL_SRCALPHA|SDL_RLEACCELOK);
saved_alpha = surface->format->alpha;
if ( (saved_flags & SDL_SRCALPHA) == SDL_SRCALPHA ) {
SDL_SetAlpha(surface, 0, 0);
}

/* Copy the surface into the GL texture image */
area.x = 0;
area.y = 0;
area.w = surface->w;
area.h = surface->h;
SDL_BlitSurface(surface, &area, image, &area);

/* Restore the alpha blending attributes */
if ( (saved_flags & SDL_SRCALPHA) == SDL_SRCALPHA ) {
SDL_SetAlpha(surface, saved_flags, saved_alpha);
}

/* Create an OpenGL texture for the image */
glGenTextures(1, &texture);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D,
GL_RGBA,
w, h,
GL_RGBA,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
image->pixels);
SDL_FreeSurface(image); /* No longer needed */

return texture;
}

void DrawLogoCursor(void)
{
static GLfloat texMinX, texMinY;
static GLfloat texMaxX, texMaxY;
static int w, h;
int x, y;

if ( ! cursor_texture ) {
SDL_Surface *image;
GLfloat texcoord[4];

/* Load the image (could use SDL_image library here) */
image = SDL_LoadBMP(LOGO_FILE);
if ( image == NULL ) {
return;
}
w = image->w;
h = image->h;

/* Convert the image into an OpenGL texture */
cursor_texture = SDL_GL_LoadTexture(image, texcoord);

/* Make texture coordinates easy to understand */
texMinX = texcoord[0];
texMinY = texcoord[1];
texMaxX = texcoord[2];
texMaxY = texcoord[3];

/* We don't need the original image anymore */
SDL_FreeSurface(image);

/* Make sure that the texture conversion is okay */
if ( ! cursor_texture ) {
return;
}
}

/* Move the image around */
SDL_GetMouseState(&x, &y);
x -= w/2;
y -= h/2;

/* Show the image on the screen */
SDL_GL_Enter2DMode();
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, cursor_texture);
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
glTexCoord2f(texMinX, texMinY); glVertex2i(x, y );
glTexCoord2f(texMaxX, texMinY); glVertex2i(x+w, y );
glTexCoord2f(texMinX, texMaxY); glVertex2i(x, y+h);
glTexCoord2f(texMaxX, texMaxY); glVertex2i(x+w, y+h);
glEnd();
SDL_GL_Leave2DMode();
}

void DrawLogoTexture(void)
{
static GLfloat texMinX, texMinY;
static GLfloat texMaxX, texMaxY;
static int x = 0;
static int y = 0;
static int w, h;
static int delta_x = 1;
static int delta_y = 1;

if ( ! global_texture ) {
SDL_Surface *image;
GLfloat texcoord[4];

image = SDL_LoadBMP(LOGO_FILE);
if ( image == NULL ) {
return;
}
w = image->w;
h = image->h;

/* Convert the image into an OpenGL texture */
global_texture = SDL_GL_LoadTexture(image, texcoord);

/* Make texture coordinates easy to understand */
texMinX = texcoord[0];
texMinY = texcoord[1];
texMaxX = texcoord[2];
texMaxY = texcoord[3];

/* We don't need the original image anymore */
SDL_FreeSurface(image);

if ( ! global_texture ) {
return;
}
}

/* Move the image around */
x += delta_x;
if ( x < 0 ) {
x = 0;
delta_x = -delta_x;
} else
if ( (x+w) > screen->w ) {
x = screen->w-w;
delta_x = -delta_x;
}
y += delta_y;
if ( y < 0 ) {
y = 0;
delta_y = -delta_y;
} else
if ( (y+h) > screen->h ) {
y = screen->h-h;
delta_y = -delta_y;
}

SDL_GL_Enter2DMode();
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, global_texture);
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
glTexCoord2f(texMinX, texMinY); glVertex2i(x, y );
glTexCoord2f(texMaxX, texMinY); glVertex2i(x+w, y );
glTexCoord2f(texMinX, texMaxY); glVertex2i(x, y+h);
glTexCoord2f(texMaxX, texMaxY); glVertex2i(x+w, y+h);
glEnd();
SDL_GL_Leave2DMode();
}

/* This code is deprecated, but available for speed comparisons */
void DrawLogoBlit(void)
{
static int x = 0;
static int y = 0;
static int w, h;
static int delta_x = 1;
static int delta_y = 1;

SDL_Rect dst;

if ( global_image == NULL ) {
SDL_Surface *temp;

temp = SDL_LoadBMP(LOGO_FILE);
if ( temp == NULL ) {
return;
}
w = temp->w;
h = temp->h;

/* Convert the image into the screen format */
global_image = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(
SDL_SWSURFACE,
w, h,
screen->format->BitsPerPixel,
screen->format->Rmask,
screen->format->Gmask,
screen->format->Bmask,
screen->format->Amask);
if ( global_image ) {
SDL_BlitSurface(temp, NULL, global_image, NULL);
}
SDL_FreeSurface(temp);

if ( ! global_image ) {
return;
}
}

/* Move the image around
Note that we do not clear the old position. This is because we
perform a glClear() which clears the framebuffer and then only
update the new area.
Note that you can also achieve interesting effects by modifying
the screen surface alpha channel. It's set to 255 by default..
*/
x += delta_x;
if ( x < 0 ) {
x = 0;
delta_x = -delta_x;
} else
if ( (x+w) > screen->w ) {
x = screen->w-w;
delta_x = -delta_x;
}
y += delta_y;
if ( y < 0 ) {
y = 0;
delta_y = -delta_y;
} else
if ( (y+h) > screen->h ) {
y = screen->h-h;
delta_y = -delta_y;
}
dst.x = x;
dst.y = y;
dst.w = w;
dst.h = h;
SDL_BlitSurface(global_image, NULL, screen, &dst);

SDL_UpdateRects(screen, 1, &dst);
}

int RunGLTest( int argc, char* argv[],
int logo, int logocursor, int slowly, int bpp, float gamma, int noframe, int fsaa, int sync, int accel )
{
int i;
int rgb_size[3];
int w = 640;
int h = 480;
int done = 0;
int frames;
Uint32 start_time, this_time;
float color[8][3]= {{ 1.0, 1.0, 0.0},
{ 1.0, 0.0, 0.0},
{ 0.0, 0.0, 0.0},
{ 0.0, 1.0, 0.0},
{ 0.0, 1.0, 1.0},
{ 1.0, 1.0, 1.0},
{ 1.0, 0.0, 1.0},
{ 0.0, 0.0, 1.0}};
float cube[8][3]= {{ 0.5, 0.5, -0.5},
{ 0.5, -0.5, -0.5},
{-0.5, -0.5, -0.5},
{-0.5, 0.5, -0.5},
{-0.5, 0.5, 0.5},
{ 0.5, 0.5, 0.5},
{ 0.5, -0.5, 0.5},
{-0.5, -0.5, 0.5}};
Uint32 video_flags;
int value;

if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO ) < 0 ) {
fprintf(stderr,"Couldn't initialize SDL: %s\n",SDL_GetError());
exit( 1 );
}

/* See if we should detect the display depth */
if ( bpp == 0 ) {
if ( SDL_GetVideoInfo()->vfmt->BitsPerPixel <= 8 ) {
bpp = 8;
} else {
bpp = 16; /* More doesn't seem to work */
}
}

/* Set the flags we want to use for setting the video mode */
if ( logo && USE_DEPRECATED_OPENGLBLIT ) {
video_flags = SDL_OPENGLBLIT;
} else {
video_flags = SDL_OPENGL;
}
for ( i=1; argv[i]; ++i ) {
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-fullscreen") == 0 ) {
video_flags |= SDL_FULLSCREEN;
}
}

if (noframe) {
video_flags |= SDL_NOFRAME;
}

/* Initialize the display */
switch (bpp) {
case 8:
rgb_size[0] = 3;
rgb_size[1] = 3;
rgb_size[2] = 2;
break;
case 15:
case 16:
rgb_size[0] = 5;
rgb_size[1] = 5;
rgb_size[2] = 5;
break;
default:
rgb_size[0] = 8;
rgb_size[1] = 8;
rgb_size[2] = 8;
break;
}
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, rgb_size[0] );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, rgb_size[1] );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, rgb_size[2] );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, 16 );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, 1 );
if ( fsaa ) {
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLEBUFFERS, 1 );
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLESAMPLES, fsaa );
}
if ( accel ) {
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_ACCELERATED_VISUAL, 1 );
}
if ( sync ) {
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL, 1 );
} else {
SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL, 0 );
}
if ( SDL_SetVideoMode( w, h, bpp, video_flags ) == NULL ) {
fprintf(stderr, "Couldn't set GL mode: %s\n", SDL_GetError());
SDL_Quit();
exit(1);
}

printf("Screen BPP: %d\n", SDL_GetVideoSurface()->format->BitsPerPixel);
printf("\n");
printf( "Vendor : %s\n", glGetString( GL_VENDOR ) );
printf( "Renderer : %s\n", glGetString( GL_RENDERER ) );
printf( "Version : %s\n", glGetString( GL_VERSION ) );
printf( "Extensions : %s\n", glGetString( GL_EXTENSIONS ) );
printf("\n");

SDL_GL_GetAttribute( SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, &value );
printf( "SDL_GL_RED_SIZE: requested %d, got %d\n", rgb_size[0],value);
SDL_GL_GetAttribute( SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, &value );
printf( "SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE: requested %d, got %d\n", rgb_size[1],value);
SDL_GL_GetAttribute( SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, &value );
printf( "SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE: requested %d, got %d\n", rgb_size[2],value);
SDL_GL_GetAttribute( SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, &value );
printf( "SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE: requested %d, got %d\n", bpp, value );
SDL_GL_GetAttribute( SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, &value );
printf( "SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER: requested 1, got %d\n", value );
if ( fsaa ) {
SDL_GL_GetAttribute( SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLEBUFFERS, &value );
printf("SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLEBUFFERS: requested 1, got %d\n", value );
SDL_GL_GetAttribute( SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLESAMPLES, &value );
printf("SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLESAMPLES: requested %d, got %d\n", fsaa, value );
}
if ( accel ) {
SDL_GL_GetAttribute( SDL_GL_ACCELERATED_VISUAL, &value );
printf( "SDL_GL_ACCELERATED_VISUAL: requested 1, got %d\n", value );
}
if ( sync ) {
SDL_GL_GetAttribute( SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL, &value );
printf( "SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL: requested 1, got %d\n", value );
}

/* Set the window manager title bar */
SDL_WM_SetCaption( "SDL GL test", "testgl" );

/* Set the gamma for the window */
if ( gamma != 0.0 ) {
SDL_SetGamma(gamma, gamma, gamma);
}

glViewport( 0, 0, w, h );
glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );
glLoadIdentity( );

glOrtho( -2.0, 2.0, -2.0, 2.0, -20.0, 20.0 );

glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );
glLoadIdentity( );

glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);

glDepthFunc(GL_LESS);

glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);

/* Loop until done. */
start_time = SDL_GetTicks();
frames = 0;
while( !done ) {
GLenum gl_error;
char* sdl_error;
SDL_Event event;

/* Do our drawing, too. */
glClearColor( 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0 );
glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);

glBegin( GL_QUADS );

#ifdef SHADED_CUBE
glColor3fv(color[0]);
glVertex3fv(cube[0]);
glColor3fv(color[1]);
glVertex3fv(cube[1]);
glColor3fv(color[2]);
glVertex3fv(cube[2]);
glColor3fv(color[3]);
glVertex3fv(cube[3]);

glColor3fv(color[3]);
glVertex3fv(cube[3]);
glColor3fv(color[4]);
glVertex3fv(cube[4]);
glColor3fv(color[7]);
glVertex3fv(cube[7]);
glColor3fv(color[2]);
glVertex3fv(cube[2]);

glColor3fv(color[0]);
glVertex3fv(cube[0]);
glColor3fv(color[5]);
glVertex3fv(cube[5]);
glColor3fv(color[6]);
glVertex3fv(cube[6]);
glColor3fv(color[1]);
glVertex3fv(cube[1]);

glColor3fv(color[5]);
glVertex3fv(cube[5]);
glColor3fv(color[4]);
glVertex3fv(cube[4]);
glColor3fv(color[7]);
glVertex3fv(cube[7]);
glColor3fv(color[6]);
glVertex3fv(cube[6]);

glColor3fv(color[5]);
glVertex3fv(cube[5]);
glColor3fv(color[0]);
glVertex3fv(cube[0]);
glColor3fv(color[3]);
glVertex3fv(cube[3]);
glColor3fv(color[4]);
glVertex3fv(cube[4]);

glColor3fv(color[6]);
glVertex3fv(cube[6]);
glColor3fv(color[1]);
glVertex3fv(cube[1]);
glColor3fv(color[2]);
glVertex3fv(cube[2]);
glColor3fv(color[7]);
glVertex3fv(cube[7]);
#else /* flat cube */
glColor3f(1.0, 0.0, 0.0);
glVertex3fv(cube[0]);
glVertex3fv(cube[1]);
glVertex3fv(cube[2]);
glVertex3fv(cube[3]);

glColor3f(0.0, 1.0, 0.0);
glVertex3fv(cube[3]);
glVertex3fv(cube[4]);
glVertex3fv(cube[7]);
glVertex3fv(cube[2]);

glColor3f(0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
glVertex3fv(cube[0]);
glVertex3fv(cube[5]);
glVertex3fv(cube[6]);
glVertex3fv(cube[1]);

glColor3f(0.0, 1.0, 1.0);
glVertex3fv(cube[5]);
glVertex3fv(cube[4]);
glVertex3fv(cube[7]);
glVertex3fv(cube[6]);

glColor3f(1.0, 1.0, 0.0);
glVertex3fv(cube[5]);
glVertex3fv(cube[0]);
glVertex3fv(cube[3]);
glVertex3fv(cube[4]);

glColor3f(1.0, 0.0, 1.0);
glVertex3fv(cube[6]);
glVertex3fv(cube[1]);
glVertex3fv(cube[2]);
glVertex3fv(cube[7]);
#endif /* SHADED_CUBE */

glEnd( );

glRotatef(5.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0);

/* Draw 2D logo onto the 3D display */
if ( logo ) {
if ( USE_DEPRECATED_OPENGLBLIT ) {
DrawLogoBlit();
} else {
DrawLogoTexture();
}
}
if ( logocursor ) {
DrawLogoCursor();
}

SDL_GL_SwapBuffers( );

/* Check for error conditions. */
gl_error = glGetError( );

if( gl_error != GL_NO_ERROR ) {
fprintf( stderr, "testgl: OpenGL error: %d\n", gl_error );
}

sdl_error = SDL_GetError( );

if( sdl_error[0] != '\0' ) {
fprintf(stderr, "testgl: SDL error '%s'\n", sdl_error);
SDL_ClearError();
}

/* Allow the user to see what's happening */
if ( slowly ) {
SDL_Delay( 20 );
}

/* Check if there's a pending event. */
while( SDL_PollEvent( &event ) ) {
done = HandleEvent(&event);
}
++frames;
}

/* Print out the frames per second */
this_time = SDL_GetTicks();
if ( this_time != start_time ) {
printf("%2.2f FPS\n",
((float)frames/(this_time-start_time))*1000.0);
}

if ( global_image ) {
SDL_FreeSurface(global_image);
global_image = NULL;
}
if ( global_texture ) {
glDeleteTextures( 1, &global_texture );
global_texture = 0;
}
if ( cursor_texture ) {
glDeleteTextures( 1, &cursor_texture );
cursor_texture = 0;
}

/* Destroy our GL context, etc. */
SDL_Quit( );
return(0);
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
int i, logo, logocursor = 0;
int numtests;
int bpp = 0;
int slowly;
float gamma = 0.0;
int noframe = 0;
int fsaa = 0;
int accel = 0;
int sync = 0;

logo = 0;
slowly = 0;
numtests = 1;
for ( i=1; argv[i]; ++i ) {
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-twice") == 0 ) {
++numtests;
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-logo") == 0 ) {
logo = 1;
USE_DEPRECATED_OPENGLBLIT = SDL_FALSE;
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-logoblit") == 0 ) {
logo = 1;
USE_DEPRECATED_OPENGLBLIT = SDL_TRUE;
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-logocursor") == 0 ) {
logocursor = 1;
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-slow") == 0 ) {
slowly = 1;
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-bpp") == 0 ) {
bpp = atoi(argv[++i]);
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-gamma") == 0 ) {
gamma = (float)atof(argv[++i]);
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-noframe") == 0 ) {
noframe = 1;
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-fsaa") == 0 ) {
++fsaa;
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-accel") == 0 ) {
++accel;
}
if ( strcmp(argv[i], "-sync") == 0 ) {
++sync;
}
if ( strncmp(argv[i], "-h", 2) == 0 ) {
printf(
"Usage: %s [-twice] [-logo] [-logocursor] [-slow] [-bpp n] [-gamma n] [-noframe] [-fsaa] [-accel] [-sync] [-fullscreen]\n",
argv[0]);
exit(0);
}
}
for ( i=0; i<numtests; ++i ) {
RunGLTest(argc, argv, logo, logocursor, slowly, bpp, gamma, noframe, fsaa, sync, accel);
}
return 0;
}

#else /* HAVE_OPENGL */

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
printf("No OpenGL support on this system\n");
return 1;
}

#endif /* HAVE_OPENGL */[/source]

Can someone try to run this code and see what do you get for GL_RENDERER?

I want to know if the problem is in the code or it's in my laptop configuration somehow.

Here's what I get on one machine:

[quote]Vendor : ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer : AMD Radeon HD 6450
Version : 4.2.11931 Compatibility Profile Context
SDL_GL_RED_SIZE: requested 5, got 8
SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE: requested 5, got 8
SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE: requested 5, got 8
SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE: requested 16, got 24
SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER: requested 1, got 1[/quote]

What looks possible here is that you're requesting default modes that may not be available in hardware-accelerated versions. 16-bit modes are really really old these days (the last video card that didn't support 32-bit colour was the Voodoo 3) and there should be no reason to go looking for one - try bumping RGB to 8/8/8 and see what that gets you.

the most likely cause is that you don't have a driver from nvidia. Go on the nvidia website, download and install your driver and enjoy hardware accelerated OpenGL.

Hi mhagain,
Here is what i get after increasing the depth size to 24:

[Quote]
Screen BPP: 24
Vendor : Microsoft Corporation
Renderer : GDI Generic
Version : 1.1.0
Extensions : GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgr
SDL_GL_RED_SIZE: requested 8, got 8
SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE: requested 8, got 8
SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE: requested 8, got 8
SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE: requested 24, got 32
SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER: requested 1, got 1
[/Quote]

I think i have spotted the problem.
In the official opengl documentation site ive found this [url="http://www.opengl.org/archives/resources/faq/technical/mswindows.htm"]http://www.opengl.org/archives/resources/faq/technical/mswindows.htm[/url] specially the point "5.030 How do I enable and disable hardware rendering on a Wintel card?"
It says that hardware acceleration depends on choosing a right PIXEL FORMAT. Now is it possible to do this when you are using GLUT? Which config do i need when using SDL to get hardware acceleration?