Ideas for lockpicking mechanic?

Started by
14 comments, last by Memetic1 11 years, 4 months ago
Hi all,

I've been working on a personal RPG project, and was trying to develop an interesting lockpicking mechanic, but I'm stumped. I realize not every player enjoys this mini-game (ala Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc.), but it's something I've wanted to do in my own games for some time.

My original idea was to have a series of sliding pieces that acted like tumblers, which were moved by the rotation of two picks in the keyhole. Each tumbler would move independently of the others and at different speeds. Moving the pick would move different tumblers at different speeds/directions at the same time. Solving the lock requires finding the right position of the two picks so that the open slots line up. The precision would be affected by lock difficulty.

I think this would work, but it's not very exciting and doesn't really take any skill on the part of the player, and I was hoping for something more graphical and puzzle-like. However I've had trouble coming up with ideas.

Was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on either:
1. Brainstorming for these types of mini-game puzzles
2. Examples of other lockpicking mechanics that you found entertaining

edit: typos
Advertisement
Take a tour at flash gaming sites in the puzzle section, in there you might find lots of inspiration.
I don't think I'd personally try for a realistic simulation of using lockpicks. Instead I'd go for a block sliding puzzle. At the center of the puzzle would be a circular piece which is trying to rotate, but it has 1 or more slots (lock difficulty level) into which the end of a rectangular block is stuck. The other end of the rectangular block would need to be freed by sliding the blocks around it, and the starting open space would be off in a corner or somewhere else not immediately useful. So it's more or like like those board games and phone games where cars are parked every which way in a parking lot nightmare (occasionally with some immovable support pillars added to the mix) and you're the valet who has to move them all around to get out the one the customer wants. Though, since they are not cars, you could add things like a consumable item that could simplify a lock by exploding one block (or just skip the puzzle), and blocks could be able to slide sideways if they were free along the whole side, etc.

Or, the thing you describe with one action causing two objects to rotate different amounts is something I've seen done in two or three adventure games. In that case there were several rotating pillars or rings which had to be aligned to make a picture. And there was a set of buttons or levers, most of which rotated two or three of the objects at once, including the possibility of one rotating clockwise and the other counterclockwise. So you might get something aligned by using button A 3 times, but then you'd use button B to get another piece aligned and one of the first pieces would get spun too much and now be unaligned... it's related to rubix cubes but not 3D.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Another way to do it would be (depending on the tech/magic levels in your RPG), using different kinds of locks, other than just the simple key lock. Try combination locks (and have the combos hidden in levels/corpses/etc), computer locks (to pick them, you need a device to hack from and software to hack it), magic locks (could be anywhere from intelligence levels to having learned blueprints/lock schematics prior to picking), and more. There are many kinds of locks, and while it's extra work to program more, it adds variety and challenge to the game.
I enjoyed Morrowind's. I also enjoy how Morrowind let's you skip the minigame, and just do it as chance-based.

Thief 1 & 2's was fun, particularly because it was completely in-game, and not some pop-up screen.

I don't think I'd personally try for a realistic simulation of using lockpicks. Instead I'd go for a block sliding puzzle. ... Though, since they are not cars, you could add things like a consumable item that could simplify a lock by exploding one block (or just skip the puzzle), and blocks could be able to slide sideways if they were free along the whole side, etc.

Another way to do it would be (depending on the tech/magic levels in your RPG), using different kinds of locks, other than just the simple key lock. Try combination locks (and have the combos hidden in levels/corpses/etc), computer locks (to pick them, you need a device to hack from and software to hack it), magic locks (could be anywhere from intelligence levels to having learned blueprints/lock schematics prior to picking), and more. There are many kinds of locks, and while it's extra work to program more, it adds variety and challenge to the game.

Great ideas, thank you all; I hadn't considered using these types of puzzles, seems like it would work well, and also by keeping the art direction focused the puzzle components could be made to look more like internal lock mechanics (tumblers, sprockets, etc.) and the puzzle would still look visually as though the player was picking the lock. Thanks again
The best lockpick mechanic I ever found was in skyrim, which used a chance-based system as such. It would actually give you a view of the lock itself, and you would simulate doing it as if in real life. Two picks used, you could rotate one lockpick and when you believed it to be in the right spot you would click. If it worked, it would open, if not, your pick would be damaged and you would have to try again. After enough damage, the pick breaks and you have to use another one.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

Can't comment much since I actually like FO3/FONV and TES systems for lockpicking. Its just the right mix between in-character skill and player skill.

Beth sold a LOT of their games. If most people would not have liked the system, they'd have changed it (they kinda did but its more or less the same minigame with a different mask).

You could improve that with different kinds of locks (magical locks, harder locks, easier locks, maybe the lock can break if you're not gentle enough?), "real time lockpicking" (meaning that the game doesn't stops when you're lockpicking) or different kind of picks (this one can open magical locks but breaks easily, this one is strong but doesn't works for level 4 locks, etc).

Anyway, you shouldn't add too much depth to it if its not a central part of your RPG. Maybe a complex system is too tedious if the player has to pick a lock each 5min.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I enjoyed Morrowind's. I also enjoy how Morrowind let's you skip the minigame, and just do it as chance-based.

Thief 1 & 2's was fun, particularly because it was completely in-game, and not some pop-up screen.

Morrowind didn't have a minigame did it? It was just use lockpick on lock and it determined if you could or not?
I'm probably thinking of Oblivion's then. Whichever it was, they had a nice lockpick minigame and the option to skip it, iirc - but it's been awhile.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement