Direct X 7.0 Book Review ????

Started by
2 comments, last by a_insomniac 22 years, 6 months ago
-----Quick Question Has anyone read the book "SAMS Teach yourself DIRECT X© 7 in 24 Hours" ? And if so what did you think about it? I realize that Direct X 8 is out but im more intrested in 2D at the moment (FYI) Thanks, Morpheus http://www.aka-morpheus.com

----------

Advertisement
Yeah, I have it, I am not crazy about it, I bought it mostly because of the sour taste tricks of the windows game programming gurus left in my mouth by not covering 3D (dont get me wrong Tricks is the best book I have, it just doesn''t cover 3D).
I would advice you that the book is very comprensive (not only 2d Graphics), and it is about directx, not game programming, that means it goes into teaching you how to use ddraw, dmusic, dinput, dmedia, dsound, and what not, not very detailed (which you should not expect in 24 hours) and almost no game topics like AI, sprites, tiles, 2D colision detection.
the source in the CD is buggy too.

all in all, its a book that might be useful to learn the basics, and clarify some concepts, but if your budget is for just one book in your whole game programming life, keep looking.
Actually I own it but havent read it yet and I own tricks of the game programming gurus also

Reason, I asked is because after reading TOTWGPG I was feeling as if I didnt learn the little details about Direct X that I wanted and Mr Lamothes "Engine" protected mr from it. Guess Im saying I felt handicapped.
Dont get me wrong I love TOTWGPG I love it alot!!!!! But instead of just relying on that game engine I want a supplement book next to the SDK as I re-read TOTWGPG (for the game programming stuff)
If someone else had read it and thought it sucked...I didnt want to waste a couple of weeks trying to find out.

Thanks for you your reply though

Morph

Edited by - a_insomniac on October 16, 2001 6:58:12 PM

----------

Currently Sam''s book is the only DirectX book I own. It doesn''t always go into the details but it is usefully.

There are 4 chapters on DirectDraw which talk about, windowed mode, fullscreen mode, blitting, transparancy, simulated 3D-ness, loading bitmaps, colorkeys, etc. It''s all stuff that you''ll need (although not everything you''ll eventually need).

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement