Understanding an algorithm solution

Started by
4 comments, last by Zao 11 years, 4 months ago
I wanted to solve the problem here on my own: To find the longest substring with equal sum in left and right in C++ http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8469407/to-find-the-longest-substring-with-equal-sum-in-left-and-right-in-c
The code is here

int getEqualSumSubstring(string s) {
int i=0,j=i,foundLength=0;
for(i=0;i<s.length();i++)
{
for(j=i;j<s.length();j++)
{
int temp = j-i+1;
if(temp%2==0)
{
int leftSum=0,rightSum=0;
string tempString=s.substr(i,temp);
// printf("%d ",tempString.length());
for(int k=0;k<temp/2;k++)
{
leftSum=leftSum+tempString[k]-48;
rightSum=rightSum+tempString[k+(temp/2)]-48;
}
if((leftSum==rightSum)&amp;&amp;(leftSum!=0))
if(tempString.length()>foundLength)
foundLength=tempString.length();
}
}
}
return(foundLength);
}

I wanted to know how the calculation of temp = i+j-1 is done ? how on paper or by examples he could get that equation. I tried a lot but I couldn't get it.
Advertisement
Please use [ code ][ /code ] (without spaces) tags (to get pretty formatted code)! I'll recreate it here in the meantime:

int getEqualSumSubstring(string s) {
int i=0,j=i,foundLength=0;
for(i=0;i<s.length();i++)
{
for(j=i;j<s.length();j++)
{
int temp = j-i+1;

if(temp%2==0)
{
int leftSum=0,rightSum=0;
string tempString=s.substr(i,temp);
// printf("%d ",tempString.length());
for(int k=0;k<temp/2;k++)
{
leftSum=leftSum+tempString[k]-48;
rightSum=rightSum+tempString[k+(temp/2)]-48;
}
if((leftSum==rightSum)&&(leftSum!=0))
if(tempString.length()>foundLength)
foundLength=tempString.length();
}
}
}
return(foundLength);
}

I'd help analyze it but I've got to study for some finals sad.png
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
I just need the part with int temp = i+j-1. How it was done by picture or by some examples...
Why did you mention temp = i + j - 1 two times?
It is temp = j - i + 1, which is the character count between index i and j.
The algorithm is extract every sub string and compare the sum at even and odd indexes.

https://www.kbasm.com -- My personal website

https://github.com/wqking/eventpp  eventpp -- C++ library for event dispatcher and callback list

https://github.com/cpgf/cpgf  cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.

I don't know how the calculation is done to say temp = j-i+1. I can't visualize it.
Let's state in plain text what the outer shell of the algorithm does:
For each offset [font=courier new,courier,monospace]i[/font] in the string - take successively larger substrings of even length from that offset, until the end of the string is reached.
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]i[/font] is the left index of the substring, inclusive.
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]j[/font] is the right index of the substring, inclusive. [font=courier new,courier,monospace]j+1[/font] is the right index of the string, exclusive

We cannot immediately use [font=courier new,courier,monospace]j[/font] in our expressions, as we want to both find out if a substring is even and the [font=courier new,courier,monospace]substring(off,n)[/font] function takes an absolute count [font=courier new,courier,monospace]n[/font] of characters.

We can set up an equation to find the length from [font=courier new,courier,monospace]i[/font] and [font=courier new,courier,monospace]j[/font], looking for "what number must we add to [font=courier new,courier,monospace]i[/font] to get the index of one character to the right of [font=courier new,courier,monospace]j[/font]":
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]i + len = j + 1[/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]len = j + 1 - i[/font]
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]len = j - 1 + 1[/font]

To make it is hell. To fail is divine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement