Protecting folders in W9x

Started by
2 comments, last by Adso 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi! I know that is not possible (or at least very difficult) to implement security in the file system of a Windows 9x. But what I want to do is something that don''t let a user access to some folders and denies access to some files using the Windows Explorer, I only want to protect the folders and files from newbies users that accidentaly can delete important files. I know that there are shell extensions, and that they can denies the access to delete or execute a file. But I am not sure if it can prevent the access to a folder, and before learning COM I would like to know it. Is there any other method? Using the registry, perphaps? Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Try a search on google (www.google.com) for Folder Security.
There are a few programs that do this, they allow you to password protect folders, and stuff like that.
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
Thanks, I found a program called "Folder Guard", and in it's description I found this:

quote:
Windows Millennium, 98, and 95 come with the ability to hide folders and make them read-only. But these Windows facilities are designed only to prevent accidental harm to your files.

That's what I want to do, anybody know how can I configure Windows?

I know that "Folder Guard" is much more poweful, but I want to know how to protect the folders, or editing the registry, or programming. I don't need all the features of "Folder Guard", I only want to prevent accidentally deletes of files.

Thanks

Edited by - adso on October 17, 2001 3:45:46 PM
Well, you can right click on a file select properties and select Read Only. You can''t make the Registry read only because I''m almost certain that windows will totally freak out if you do.
If windows doesn''t other apps will.
I think you really need some 3rd party help on this on, the program you found sounds good. I''d go with something like that.

Jason Mickela
E-Mail: jmickela@pacbell.net
------------------------------
"Evil attacks from all sides
but the greatest evil attacks
from within." Me
------------------------------
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement