Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LPVOID_CH

my Isometric Engine

Any chance of showing us beginners the source to your engine. Looks really good and I''m in need of a bit of help and inspiration at the moment. Also is that book any good, looking for one but their really expensive so I want to make the right purchasing decision.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey, how do you move around? I tried pressing all the different keys, and clicked a lot... nothing moved! Am I missing something really obvious here?

Mmm, good stuff.

I didn''t see any problems with the scrolling, myself. What would be handy would be a map of the vineyard, although I expect that''s already in hand.

It looks to be a pretty big map.

For unit selection, the ability to use shift (or whatever) to select a unit without deselecting the current selection would be good.

Oh, and why can''t I command my vans to harvest the vine, mmm?

Uuuuuulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka

Hey, I couldn''t ran it, yet, I have the same problem in my Win2k, I''ll go to Win98 and try it

I''m creating an iso graphics engine and I had the same problem with Win2k. The problem was in my EnumDisplayModes routine (the windowed version worked fine in w2k), I modified the TANSTAAFL''S book version to adapt it to my framework, and after I enum-ed the displays, I couldn''t allocate more than 128 bytes in memory (that was the error). There was no real problem with the code (AFAIK). I was using 2 structs containing Width, Height and BPP (one for the callbacks and the other one for a DirectX class I made), and after copying the bytes from the external one to the class everything screwed up. I have to say it worked perfectly in Debug mode and Win98, neither I noticed memory leaks there, I don''t really have idea why this happened, I modified the routine and just used the class struct and then ran fine (which actually made the whole routine more efficient). Maybe your problem is related with memory managment, too, hope this helps you

This is some really nice-looking and smooth-scrolling engine so far... but there are two things:

If you right click with the mouse under the button corner the game crashes (or exits?) when the car reaches this point outside the map & screen.

If you select several car at once and then direct them somewhere, they move all in one line this looks kind of funny.
(but i now that this is not an gfx-engine problem...i think you just didn''t implement it further)

really good work

It''s coming really nicely
The only problems I saw so far is the non-"depth"-perfect object selection and the simple AI (I don''t really see it as a problem since you''re at early stages of development).

With depth-perfect object selection I mean, I moved two trucks to a tile and they got one half over the other, when I try to select the visible half of a the truck, both get selected.
And the AI, well, I moved all the trucks I found (like 12 or more) to a single place and then, after selecting them all, moved far away, I could see how they made a nice spider and everyone was following the same path. But this is not really important at the moment

You''re doing a great job!