Sign in to follow this  
KaiserJohan

OpenGL OpenGL triangle winding order

KaiserJohan    2317
Hello,

I'm not sure I understand how the triangle winding order works. I've been reading http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/Positioning/Tutorial%2004.html but I don't quite understand how it works.

Specifically these lines, where the bolded I do not understand:

[quote]No matter what size or shape the triangle is, you can classify the ordering of a triangle in two ways: clockwise or counter-clockwise. That is, if the order of the vertices from 1 to 2 to 3 moves clockwise in a circle, relative to the triangle's center, then the triangle is [b]facing clockwise relative to the viewer[/b]. Otherwise, the triangle is counter-clockwise relative to the viewer.[/quote]

For reference, I'm trying to make a cube using glDrawElements, and I want to know how I should order them and why. Below is a naive attempt:

[CODE]
const float vertexPositions[] =
{
// front vertices
-0.5f, 0.5f, 0.0f,
0.5f, 0.5f, 0.0f,
0.5f, -0.5f, 0.0f,
-0.5f, -0.5f, 0.0f,
// back vertices
-0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f,
0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f,
0.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f,
-0.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f
};
const GLshort indexData[] =
{
// back
4, 5, 6,
7, 4, 5,
// right
1, 5, 6,
2, 1, 6,
// left
4, 0, 3,
7, 4, 3,
// top
4, 5, 1,
0, 4, 1,
// bottom
7, 6, 2,
3, 7, 2,
// front
0, 1, 2,
3, 0, 1
};
[/CODE] Edited by KaiserJohan

BitMaster    8651
Imagine you paint a triangle on a piece of paper, labeling the vertices A, B, C. Pick a thin paper and pen which is clearly visible from both sides. Looking at it from one side you would see something like this:
[code]
A
|\
| \
B--C
[/code]
Like this, the triangle ABC is in counterclockwise order. Now move your head around the paper so you see it from the other side (alternatively, just flip it over).
What you see from this position (minus the flipped BC) is:
[code]
A
/|
/ |
C--B
[/code]
The triangle ABC is now in clockwise order (and would be culled normally).

Also take into account this deals with 2D space. Regarding 3D models, you'd determine whether a triangle is clockwise or not depending from where you're looking at. Generally you choose whether triangles when seen from the "front" (e.g. outside of the mesh) are clockwise or not and arrange vertices accordingly.

The main reason this is done is backface culling (to get rid of most triangles you'll never see anyway) and stuff like normals (which need to point towards one side of the triangle)

KaiserJohan    2317
[quote name='BitMaster' timestamp='1355321446' post='5009825']
Imagine you paint a triangle on a piece of paper, labeling the vertices A, B, C. Pick a thin paper and pen which is clearly visible from both sides. Looking at it from one side you would see something like this:
[code]
A
|\
| \
B--C
[/code]
Like this, the triangle ABC is in counterclockwise order. Now move your head around the paper so you see it from the other side (alternatively, just flip it over).
What you see from this position (minus the flipped BC) is:
[code]
A
/|
/ |
C--B
[/code]
The triangle ABC is now in clockwise order (and would be culled normally).
[/quote]

What effect does this have when I have to specify in what order to draw the vertices?
For example, if I use CW and I draw vertices (0, 1, 2), and then try the same with (2, 1, 0), it wont be shown?

BitMaster    8651
The triangle ABC is in CCW order in my first example (and would be rendered). The same triangle ABC is in CW order in my second example (and would be culled). The second example is the same situation as the first example, just viewed from the opposite direction. So the same triangle is visible or invisible depending on the view direction and that decision is made using the winding order of the triangle vertices projected into 2D.
On the other hand, the triangle CBA is in CW order in the first example and in CCW order in the second example.

Most renderers (that includes DirectX and OpenGL) expect a CCW face to be the front face and will simply cull backfaces. At least in OpenGL you can specify which winding is treated as the front face and how exactly to handle front- and backfaces.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Zaphyk
      I am developing my engine using the OpenGL 3.3 compatibility profile. It runs as expected on my NVIDIA card and on my Intel Card however when I tried it on an AMD setup it ran 3 times worse than on the other setups. Could this be a AMD driver thing or is this probably a problem with my OGL code? Could a different code standard create such bad performance?
    • By Kjell Andersson
      I'm trying to get some legacy OpenGL code to run with a shader pipeline,
      The legacy code uses glVertexPointer(), glColorPointer(), glNormalPointer() and glTexCoordPointer() to supply the vertex information.
      I know that it should be using setVertexAttribPointer() etc to clearly define the layout but that is not an option right now since the legacy code can't be modified to that extent.
      I've got a version 330 vertex shader to somewhat work:
      #version 330 uniform mat4 osg_ModelViewProjectionMatrix; uniform mat4 osg_ModelViewMatrix; layout(location = 0) in vec4 Vertex; layout(location = 2) in vec4 Normal; // Velocity layout(location = 3) in vec3 TexCoord; // TODO: is this the right layout location? out VertexData { vec4 color; vec3 velocity; float size; } VertexOut; void main(void) { vec4 p0 = Vertex; vec4 p1 = Vertex + vec4(Normal.x, Normal.y, Normal.z, 0.0f); vec3 velocity = (osg_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * p1 - osg_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * p0).xyz; VertexOut.velocity = velocity; VertexOut.size = TexCoord.y; gl_Position = osg_ModelViewMatrix * Vertex; } What works is the Vertex and Normal information that the legacy C++ OpenGL code seem to provide in layout location 0 and 2. This is fine.
      What I'm not getting to work is the TexCoord information that is supplied by a glTexCoordPointer() call in C++.
      Question:
      What layout location is the old standard pipeline using for glTexCoordPointer()? Or is this undefined?

Side note: I'm trying to get an OpenSceneGraph 3.4.0 particle system to use custom vertex, geometry and fragment shaders for rendering the particles.
    • By markshaw001
      Hi i am new to this forum  i wanted to ask for help from all of you i want to generate real time terrain using a 32 bit heightmap i am good at c++ and have started learning Opengl as i am very interested in making landscapes in opengl i have looked around the internet for help about this topic but i am not getting the hang of the concepts and what they are doing can some here suggests me some good resources for making terrain engine please for example like tutorials,books etc so that i can understand the whole concept of terrain generation.

• By KarimIO
      Hey guys. I'm trying to get my application to work on my Nvidia GTX 970 desktop. It currently works on my Intel HD 3000 laptop, but on the desktop, every bind textures specifically from framebuffers, I get half a second of lag. This is done 4 times as I have three RGBA textures and one depth 32F buffer. I tried to use debugging software for the first time - RenderDoc only shows SwapBuffers() and no OGL calls, while Nvidia Nsight crashes upon execution, so neither are helpful. Without binding it runs regularly. This does not happen with non-framebuffer binds.
      GLFramebuffer::GLFramebuffer(FramebufferCreateInfo createInfo) { glGenFramebuffers(1, &fbo); glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, fbo); textures = new GLuint[createInfo.numColorTargets]; glGenTextures(createInfo.numColorTargets, textures); GLenum *DrawBuffers = new GLenum[createInfo.numColorTargets]; for (uint32_t i = 0; i < createInfo.numColorTargets; i++) { glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[i]); GLint internalFormat; GLenum format; TranslateFormats(createInfo.colorFormats[i], format, internalFormat); // returns GL_RGBA and GL_RGBA glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, internalFormat, createInfo.width, createInfo.height, 0, format, GL_FLOAT, 0); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); DrawBuffers[i] = GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 + i; glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0); glFramebufferTexture(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 + i, textures[i], 0); } if (createInfo.depthFormat != FORMAT_DEPTH_NONE) { GLenum depthFormat; switch (createInfo.depthFormat) { case FORMAT_DEPTH_16: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT16; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_24: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_32: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_24_STENCIL_8: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_32_STENCIL_8: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH32F_STENCIL8; break; } glGenTextures(1, &depthrenderbuffer); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, depthrenderbuffer); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, depthFormat, createInfo.width, createInfo.height, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_FLOAT, 0); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0); glFramebufferTexture(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, depthrenderbuffer, 0); } if (createInfo.numColorTargets > 0) glDrawBuffers(createInfo.numColorTargets, DrawBuffers); else glDrawBuffer(GL_NONE); if (glCheckFramebufferStatus(GL_FRAMEBUFFER) != GL_FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE) std::cout << "Framebuffer Incomplete\n"; glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0); width = createInfo.width; height = createInfo.height; } // ... // FBO Creation FramebufferCreateInfo gbufferCI; gbufferCI.colorFormats = gbufferCFs.data(); gbufferCI.depthFormat = FORMAT_DEPTH_32; gbufferCI.numColorTargets = gbufferCFs.size(); gbufferCI.width = engine.settings.resolutionX; gbufferCI.height = engine.settings.resolutionY; gbufferCI.renderPass = nullptr; gbuffer = graphicsWrapper->CreateFramebuffer(gbufferCI); // Bind glBindFramebuffer(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER, fbo); // Draw here... // Bind to textures glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[0]); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE1); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[1]); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE2); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[2]); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE3); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, depthrenderbuffer); Here is an extract of my code. I can't think of anything else to include. I've really been butting my head into a wall trying to think of a reason but I can think of none and all my research yields nothing. Thanks in advance!
    • By Adrianensis
      Hi everyone, I've shared my 2D Game Engine source code. It's the result of 4 years working on it (and I still continue improving features ) and I want to share with the community. You can see some videos on youtube and some demo gifs on my twitter account.
      This Engine has been developed as End-of-Degree Project and it is coded in Javascript, WebGL and GLSL. The engine is written from scratch.
      This is not a professional engine but it's for learning purposes, so anyone can review the code an learn basis about graphics, physics or game engine architecture. Source code on this GitHub repository.
      I'm available for a good conversation about Game Engine / Graphics Programming
  • Popular Now