Problems with 3D Game Engine Programming book

Started by
4 comments, last by Burnt_Fyr 11 years, 4 months ago
Hello everyone

Im kinda having problems with this book. Its from Thomson Course Technology and its called 3D Game Engine Programming from Stefan Zerbst with Oliver Düvel. Now my problem is that i started reading this book till chapter 3. Now when the first explanation comes up to write down what it says. It compiles normally. Then again there are solution files on this CD. Now i tried to compile does, but it seems like they have some errors in it. Now how can i, controll if im doing this right or not. I mean you can't relly on the solution files. So what are my options?

PS: (Sorry for the bad english im german and im not really good at it.)
Advertisement
SnakeMaster, I remember taking a stab at that book a few years ago and recall there being a ton of errors in the presented code (especially on the CD). I am not sure if this will help you, but the author has released updates for some of the code: http://stefan.zfx.info/3dgep.html

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

SnakeMaster, I remember taking a stab at that book a few years ago and recall there being a ton of errors in the presented code (especially on the CD). I am not sure if this will help you, but the author has released updates for some of the code: http://stefan.zfx.info/3dgep.html

Yeah thx for the try Byte but it doesn't solve my problem. It keeps on telling me when i compile. (cannot open include file 'afxres.h'.) And when i search for the file it doesn't exist at all. If this keep on going i have to find another book so i can start developing a game engine. I mean the only books i have found are the one i just told of and a game engine architecture and it doesn't, really point out how to write a game engine step by step. If there is a book that explain me that. I would surely be happy to know about.
I am assuming you use the Express version of Visual Studio to compile your project. The problem is that the Express version doesn't include MFC, which is needed to compile these resources. So besides the fact that there might be bugs in the code it's actually the compiler that can't work with this include file.

One thing that might work is to replace the occurences of afxres.h with windows.h, but it probably wouldn't make a difference. Or you could try to clean the project before building it (right click on the project and then clean).

If that doesn't work there might be someone else here capable of telling you what to do to make this work. Else a quick google could probably give you a solution.
Looks like that header file is part of the MFC library which isn't included in Visual Studio Express. You can try windows.h if your not using MFC or try:

http://www.codeproje...isual-C-Express

Edit: SpringDev beat me to it, so yeah, what he said. biggrin.png
You should be fine to remove afxres,h, but iirc you will need to add some defines to your project to cover what is missing. The real joy will come when you realize that all of the sound/networking functionality was depreciated, and no longer contained in the sdk. I can help you compile and link projects from that book, shoot me a pm.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement