A few design ideas

Started by
5 comments, last by Oxymoron28 11 years, 4 months ago
So I've posted a few of my game ideas on here before and had comments and critiques from you I'd like to post some more here for more c&c, some of them are adapted ideas I've posted before that didn't receive to favourably.

They are mostly bare bones, and just briefs. The reason for them being bare bones is that in the past one of the critiques I received was that I tend to dilute my designs with idea after idea. Basically just adding and adding to impossible proportions.

Unamed Tower Defence Survival

Platform: PC

Synopsis:
You are the last remaining band of humans on the planet after a virus outbreak. The war is over, and now it's the fight to survive.

Features:
• Online Multiplayer co-op
• Survival based gameplay (hunt, mine, build, scavenge)

Design Brief:
• The Game will be a first person Tower Defence type game.
• Day and Night system with both having an effect on the different enemy types on the map such as, in day time the infected hide away from the sun light and become lethargic and slow. Where as night they become much more stronger and go on a hunt for the player(s).
• You’ll need to hunt animals for food, and for clean water. You’ll also need to mine for materials to build your base/shelter, and scavenge weaponry and tools.
• Create turrets and automated weapon systems to help defend your base
• Materials have different strengths to help you better protect your base
• Play co op with friends and survive together
• Multiple difficulties
[/quote]
(This idea came after playing some minecraft and then playing some dungeon defenders)

Steal-It!
Platform: PC
Synopsis:
You are a master thief for hire. Anything can be stolen if the price is right.
Design Brief:
• Multiple level types from museums to banks
• Scale buildings, infiltrate sewers or even take to disguises
• Recce the target location before attempting the heist
• PVP style online play, where you are two teams attempting to steal the same item, you must outsmart the other team and can use distractions and even attempt to get the other team caught by security forces.
• Use stealth to avoid detection as you perform the heist
• Tools to help hack into CCTV cameras, bypass door key-codes, shutdown laser grids

[/quote]
(This idea still requires a lot of work, but this one came from the Uncharted 2 mission where you have to break into a museum.)

The Worst Game in the World!
Platform: iOS/Android/Browser
Synopsis:
A game with all the worst possible mechanics ever? What could possibily go wrong?
Design Brief:
• Minigame style game play of the likes of Wario Ware and Frobisher Says!
• Complete tasks in a time limit using select poor game mechanics
• Compete with friends on leaderboard style game play
[/quote]
(A bit of a joke really, I think this idea could be received well in that it's satirical about all the mechanics games have gotten wrong over the years, like QTE's, snap-to cover, regenerative health and stuff like that).

Space Port Manager
Platform: iOS/Android
Design Brief:
• Create your own space port with a choice of locations from Planets to deep space.
• Deploy fleets around the galaxy to gather resources and items to be sold on your space port.
• Compete with other space ports in the galaxy to become the best space port.
• Custimise your space port from colour too layout
• Place shops, cafes and arcades to attract more customers and guests
[/quote]
(this one I've posted before, but decided to restart the idea from scratch and make things simpler.)

Anyway, you know the drill! comment away! even if you think the ideas are terrible, just one thing, please tell me why you think so.
[size=1]and if you're interested in working with me on one of these projects feel free to PM me!
Advertisement
Well, you said it yourself, you found your inspiration in several existing games so not one of these is extremely original and attractive, but that doesn't mean they couldn't lead to good games. About Steal-It!,

This idea still requires a lot of work
well yes it does :

you must outsmart the other team and can use distractions and even attempt to get the other team caught by security forces.
Just how do you do that? The game mechanics would have to allow for moves more or less smart. Are these security forces supposed to be intelligent? If they are, then AI might be a challenge during development, unless you're ok with simple behaviors as in the Metal Gear series.

Regarding the worst game in the world,

Compete with friends on leaderboard style game play
What is "leaderboard style game play"? If you simply mean having players ranked according to some score, then this ranking has to be meaningful: there have to be varying degrees of ability leading to higher or lower scores. The game must be able to differentiate players based on talent.
A lot of adventure games rarely involve gameplay mechanics that require players to push themselves to win, like finding almost random objects and combining them together or with an entity in the level to move on to the next room or whatever. Either you find them and use them, or you don't. Sometimes there are several possible outcomes, but always in a rather small, finite number.
The complete opposite of that is found in classic competitive games like Starcraft 2, Counter-Strike, etc. There's a broad spectrum of possibles levels of play which allow for meaningful rankings of players.
Games like Wario Ware are highly repetitive and, after some time, you know them inside and out and hardly fail at the minigames anymore. I feel that's incompatible with players being ranked in any meaningful way. While i don't believe it impossible to make a competitive game with the Wario Ware basic mechanic of minigames, you'd need to describe very specifically in what way the game is competitive. As a programming exercise, and for the lulz, you could very well make such a game, because some game mechanics are truly abused of. Don't forget to add achievements for launching the game, pressing a button and earning your first point.

Regarding Space Port Manager, at the heart of the game would lie an economic system. Without it, no game. The idea is not bad, but not good either a priori, but with this kind of game, only after the economic system has been specified, developed and tested can you tell whether the game is any good.

All in all, none of these ideas is bad but I think you need to flesh them out before we can give you constructive advice. Cheers!

Well, you said it yourself, you found your inspiration in several existing games so not one of these is extremely original and attractive, but that doesn't mean they couldn't lead to good games. About Steal-It!,[quote name='Oxymoron28' timestamp='1355355887' post='5010012']
This idea still requires a lot of work
well yes it does :

you must outsmart the other team and can use distractions and even attempt to get the other team caught by security forces.
Just how do you do that? The game mechanics would have to allow for moves more or less smart. Are these security forces supposed to be intelligent? If they are, then AI might be a challenge during development, unless you're ok with simple behaviors as in the Metal Gear series.

Regarding the worst game in the world,

Compete with friends on leaderboard style game play
What is "leaderboard style game play"? If you simply mean having players ranked according to some score, then this ranking has to be meaningful: there have to be varying degrees of ability leading to higher or lower scores. The game must be able to differentiate players based on talent.
A lot of adventure games rarely involve gameplay mechanics that require players to push themselves to win, like finding almost random objects and combining them together or with an entity in the level to move on to the next room or whatever. Either you find them and use them, or you don't. Sometimes there are several possible outcomes, but always in a rather small, finite number.
The complete opposite of that is found in classic competitive games like Starcraft 2, Counter-Strike, etc. There's a broad spectrum of possibles levels of play which allow for meaningful rankings of players.
Games like Wario Ware are highly repetitive and, after some time, you know them inside and out and hardly fail at the minigames anymore. I feel that's incompatible with players being ranked in any meaningful way. While i don't believe it impossible to make a competitive game with the Wario Ware basic mechanic of minigames, you'd need to describe very specifically in what way the game is competitive. As a programming exercise, and for the lulz, you could very well make such a game, because some game mechanics are truly abused of. Don't forget to add achievements for launching the game, pressing a button and earning your first point.

Regarding Space Port Manager, at the heart of the game would lie an economic system. Without it, no game. The idea is not bad, but not good either a priori, but with this kind of game, only after the economic system has been specified, developed and tested can you tell whether the game is any good.

All in all, none of these ideas is bad but I think you need to flesh them out before we can give you constructive advice. Cheers!
[/quote]

I've taken on board what you've said, I'm going to work on beefing all the ideas up changing things around and what not. Will update this topic when I've finished!
I think your strongest game idea is Steal-It!, but like Oxymoron28 mentioned, it; like all of your ideas, need some clarity.

Like is it 2D isometric, top-down, 3rd person, 1st person, 4th person (maybe seen from the security cameras)?

Is it real time, turn based, or pre-loaded turn-based where the player needs to anticipate what the guards will do and make their moves accordingly?

There are all kinds of different ways this game could be done and what you've written up is pretty vague. Vague enough in fact to really have lots of different games come from it and I like that! biggrin.png

There are games like Monaco: Whats Yours is Mine coming out that is basically the same idea. I also recall seeing a really promising game where you play a thief who steals from museums and an interesting dynamic to the game was that he had a loot sack that would grow larger and larger the more stuff you stole. In that game, you would have to decide if you could chance being easier to be seen and caught for that extra bit of loot.

I think your second strongest game idea is the space port manager game. I can see it as a fun distraction that is persistent and because of that, you could have a micro-transaction system attached to it; which I'm not that big of a fan of, but I know there are people that are willing to drop some change on games like that.

As for your other ideas, I'd rank them equally as kind of shovel-ware. Games that you see a whole bunch of because one or two games have had a little bit of success with the concept and a bunch of others are looking to cash in. Tower Defense is so common place that some people avoid them completely and others that enjoy those games already have one, so why would they play another that they aren't as invested in? Kinda like how invested WoW players are that they won't drop their characters to go play a different, possibly better MMO.

And the "Worst" game is kinda novel, but I don't see it having much of any lasting appeal and some might find those bad mechanics as more annoying than satirical. Remember, because you've gone so far as thought about what goes into making a game means that you're way ahead of the common game consumer and that consumer might not understand some of the aspects of bad design you'd try to illustrate. If the consumer doesn't grasp the game, it won't have lasting appeal or much if any circulation.

Aside from all of that text above, I like your ideas. They are simple, but that's good.

But yeah, those are just my thoughts on your ideas. biggrin.png

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

I think your strongest game idea is Steal-It!, but like Oxymoron28 mentioned, it; like all of your ideas, need some clarity.

Like is it 2D isometric, top-down, 3rd person, 1st person, 4th person (maybe seen from the security cameras)?

Is it real time, turn based, or pre-loaded turn-based where the player needs to anticipate what the guards will do and make their moves accordingly?

There are all kinds of different ways this game could be done and what you've written up is pretty vague. Vague enough in fact to really have lots of different games come from it and I like that! biggrin.png

There are games like Monaco: Whats Yours is Mine coming out that is basically the same idea. I also recall seeing a really promising game where you play a thief who steals from museums and an interesting dynamic to the game was that he had a loot sack that would grow larger and larger the more stuff you stole. In that game, you would have to decide if you could chance being easier to be seen and caught for that extra bit of loot.

I think your second strongest game idea is the space port manager game. I can see it as a fun distraction that is persistent and because of that, you could have a micro-transaction system attached to it; which I'm not that big of a fan of, but I know there are people that are willing to drop some change on games like that.

As for your other ideas, I'd rank them equally as kind of shovel-ware. Games that you see a whole bunch of because one or two games have had a little bit of success with the concept and a bunch of others are looking to cash in. Tower Defense is so common place that some people avoid them completely and others that enjoy those games already have one, so why would they play another that they aren't as invested in? Kinda like how invested WoW players are that they won't drop their characters to go play a different, possibly better MMO.

And the "Worst" game is kinda novel, but I don't see it having much of any lasting appeal and some might find those bad mechanics as more annoying than satirical. Remember, because you've gone so far as thought about what goes into making a game means that you're way ahead of the common game consumer and that consumer might not understand some of the aspects of bad design you'd try to illustrate. If the consumer doesn't grasp the game, it won't have lasting appeal or much if any circulation.

Aside from all of that text above, I like your ideas. They are simple, but that's good.

But yeah, those are just my thoughts on your ideas. biggrin.png

Thanks for the input! :) I'm working on my Steal-It Plan more. Well I was till you linked me too Monaco and I've just spent the last 20 minutes dribbling a little... anyway! I should of stated this earlier, these are just for me to practice writing designs up and what not. Not saying I wouldn't like to see any of these made!

I would get around to writing a design document, but I'm...technically inept so it's going to be a bit hard to get all the tech information down! I'll see what I can do though! watch this space!
Okay people! I've updated two of my design briefs, added some more in depth details on gameplay mechanics. As I said previously, these are just for me to practice so rip them apart of need be!

Game Title: SpacePort Manager
Genre: Simulator, Management
Platform: iOS/Android
Features:
• Choice of Scenery; Planet (Desert, Water, Jungle, Metropolis), Asteroid, Space Station (Different planet backdrops).
• Build trade services around your space station such as shops, mercenary camps, freelance miners.
• Create fleets and send them out to mine planets or asteroid belts for minerals too sell on your markets. Also create trade fleets too send your markets off to other parts of the galaxy to increase income.
• Manage economies befriending empires to increase business (such as, befriending the human empire which will decrease how much the fuel costs them but increase resource yields and fame, and reduce the cost for repairs and upgrades for the player).
• Easy to use UI
• Protect your Space Station and fleets from terrorist attacks and alien attacks.
Brief:
SpacePort Manager gives the player the opportunity to own and run their own space port. The player will be able to choose what race they want to be, what environment they want for their spaceport (Planet, Deep Space or Orbit) and what empire their port prefers to trade with.

The economy in the game will be based upon mining and selling resources, the player will have the opportunity to create fleets and send them across the galaxy to mine planets, the player can choose the price to sell what ever commodities they receive and they can even dictate what race pays what price.

Sending fleets across the galaxy can be risky business and if the player annoys a certain species within the game such as, obscenely high trade prices, then that species could attack the fleet the player sends out to try and negotiate a new price point.
To insure the player can create the best spaceport in the galaxy they must balance profits with friendship to the other races in the game.

The player will have complete control over the layout of their spaceport and what shops are in it, with gameplay seen in the likes of Japan Life and Theme Hospital.

The player will be competing with other space ports in the galaxy and so the player must choose the prices of commodities wisely. If they are charging more for gold then another spaceport, customers will shop at the other spaceport.
[/quote]

Project Name: Steal-It.
Genre: First Person, Action.
Platform: PC.

Game Brief:
You play a master thief for hire, no heist is too big. Work with friends or go it alone, or take the action online and compete against other teams for the same item.

Gameplay:
The game will be played in the first person perspective. Gameplay will be stealth orientated relying on the tools you have to accomplish this job.
Tools will range from;
• Smartphones for hacking into CCTV systems, allowing you to see what is in the next corridor or room before even entering. This will give you the tactical advantage to plan your actions out.
• “Cry Babies” to create sound to distract guards or guide guards to a competing team of thieves.
• Remote Controlled vehicles to get to those hard to reach places!
• Uniforms to blend in with any workers who may be on site, or even disguise yourself as maintenance.

The player will be able to climb so that they can use unorthodox methods of reaching their target, this however will expose the player increasing the possibility of being caught by the security forces.

Security forces will act on a line of sight and audio basis, meaning if they see or hear something suspicious they will be attracted to that particular area. This can be a disadvantage but also an advantage to the player, if the player has the correct tools they could gather the security forces in one area, giving them the opportunity to scout out another area with reduced security patrols.

Multiplayer will play out like a team deathmatch mode, however the objective won’t be to kill members of the other team, but to either get them all captured by security or steal the marked object before they do. Both teams will be relying on stealth and the tools they have on them, however the tools can also be used to aid the security forces into capturing the other team such as, using a cry baby to alert security forces to the opposing teams location, or hacking CCTV cameras to spot the opposing team alerting the security forces.
[/quote]
I'd like to post another game design idea I've been working on for a few years now. I've posted this here before but cannot find the topic any more;

Horror Game Specifics.

Platform:
PC

Control input:
PC: Mouse and Keyboard

Game Mechanics:
Sound: Sound will be an important factor to this game as it will be how we make up the presence of the monster without there actually being a physical monster. The use of sound and screen effects will alert the player to how close the monster is so that they’ll know when to run away. Sounds the player makes and other actions will also alert the monster to the player’s location.

Puzzles: The player will come across puzzles as he attempts to escape the mansion, the puzzles will consist of either block pushing, physics puzzles, pattern puzzles and light/noise puzzles. There will be no time limit in completing the puzzles; however the monster will still be hunting the player as they attempt to solve the puzzles.

Checkpoint and Save System: The player will be equipped with an item that allows him to set up checkpoints and save points. There will be a limited amount of uses for this item, and using the item will affect the monsters patrol. The monster will patrol more thoroughly around the area of the item being used.

Wind up Flashlight: The player will also be equipped with a wind up flashlight, this will be used to help the player navigate the dark corners and dungeons of the mansion. After a certain amount of use the flashlight will discharge its batteries. In order for the player to keep on using the flashlight they will have to wind it up. This creates noise thus affecting the patrol of the monster.

Monster: The monster will constantly be hunting the player. There will be no physical form for the monster and the only way the player will be able to tell if the monster is close or not is through the use of sound. The monster will patrol the mansion, this patrol will be affected by actions the player takes such as; excessive sound, leaving doors open and setting up checkpoints/save points. The player will not be able to kill the monster nor will the player be able to stop the monsters patrol. The only way for the player to be safe from the monster is to escape the mansion.
[/quote]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement